2 month US rout w/BM at core... help!

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
Free2B

2 month US rout w/BM at core... help!

Post by Free2B » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:34 pm

I... have suppressed my urge to GO & nOw with promises of a wandering future surrounding BM 09... I will take at least a couple months off, engulfing BM as it's center, to travel & roam around the US. I haven't even begun the rout planning, and I know I need all the help I can get as far as events/festivals/places/ppl.... I'll have one more person with me, a virgin, a belly dancer, a couch surfer (we share that last one) we'll be on a budget... Right now I envision a lot of tents, wrinkled maps, couches & busses, pepper spray & 10 memory cards for my camera... but I'm not picky :) If there's regionals going on around this general timeframe, perfect, would be nice to catch a belly-dancing festival, see my friend in action, but really anything goes. I haven't had to plan anything like this, but I'm thinking I gotta get a list of destinations, map it out & call it a plan..? Any help, really appreciated!!!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm

Sounds like it will be a fun adventure.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

cullen

Post by cullen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:50 pm

you stole my post war idea!
i was gonna buy a bus spend 2-3 months straight fixing it up.

i wanted to hit a couple big cities, some national parks the west coast then on to burning man and vegas before heading home.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Depends on how deep your pockets are. Bounce from regional to regional? Hook up with Burners in various locations for places to stay. Shit, come to Michigan. I'll take you sailing, you can stay on the boat, we'll take in some great Brew Pubs, meet other Burners. That the kinda shit you had in mind?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Thats exactly the kind'a shit we had in mind :lol: the budget should be minimal, though that only applies to anything outside our priorities... which are questionable. Any way to get a list of regionals? I looked at the burningman. com calendar, it looks dead. If you know any, pass em on, I'll put em on my map. Which reminds me I need a map. Considering how we met, we're likely to do most our tent-free sleeping on couches. Would be nice to make em burner couches... I should post something on the couchsurfing.com BM group, never too early. On Couchsurfing.com u get your official couch request form with arrival-departure times, and you get your feedback afterwards... which is nice in the sense of safety, but tricky with a "who know where we'll end up" trip. I'll have to find the timeless hippies on this one :wink:

I read about a group of 5ish on tribe.net who recently got a bus & plan to go about for a few months ending at BM 09... ah, that sounds nice... why didn't you Cullen?

Just remembered bout Water WOman. Anyone know of an online application with basic rout planning? Enter dates & destinations & see what happens ? Michigan's going on that list, thanks SailMan

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:56 am

Look what i found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterFuse ofcourse I'm pasting this before actually looking at any of this :P

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:16 pm

The majority of Burning Man regionals are not in the month before or after Burning Man; it conflicts too much with Burning Man. Most regionals tend to be May/June or October.

However, there are a ton of interesting places to go!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

davelam13

Post by davelam13 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:30 pm

head out to the forest around northern california and oregon, hit up crater lake! Just don't try to go to vegas, especially if on a budget, unless you want to drive 10 hours to get there from BM and not have any real camping choices.
Chef Whitey on a Plate!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:13 am

I'm in Northern Utah (Ogden) and have a guest room ... if you're north of Salt Lake, say howdy. I am on couch-surfing, but have yet to have any surers surface. Utah is perfect for camping and Southern Utah is amazing.

Buy a pass to all national parks, you will be glad you did once you get out West. Individual entry fees can be high.

Utah's regional is usually the first or second weekend of June; although things have been shaken up in our little corner of the burning world so I don't know exactly when and where. The Vegas regional is in April or May before it gets too hot. Colorado goes after Utah, and Flipside down in Texas is on yet another weekend, but I'm too lazy to google it for you.

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Hmm... Should I go in June then... I gotta cram on some research! Thanks for the hints, & thanks AntiM for inviting a total stranger into your guestroom... strange abou tthe vacant couch... are you using the same Username on it? Yes, I'd love to spy :lol:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:19 pm

I think so, if not then maggiemayday. I rarely use any other names.

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:46 pm

I got one bit of progress in three months time... i've decided i'm leaving in august! :P thats all i know. August. Good time to camp. I never did find you Antim, if you ever log on, this is me http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/bkinsomniac/

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Im a couchsurfer, well a couch loaner. Slowed down in my old age. But I have a great apartment above my bar that is available in Seattle.

later

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 pm

As far as Michigan goes, the Lakes of Fire regional is going on from June 25-28 in southwestern Michigan. You could make your way over from Sailmans place and hit that up. I'm sure there's a few of us on the southwestern part of the state that could put you up and also introduce you to the nectar that is Bells.

ihlvr

Post by ihlvr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:40 am

if you come through the southwest, I have a trailer that is available. about an hour west of sedona.

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:58 pm

SilverOrange wrote:As far as Michigan goes, the Lakes of Fire regional is going on from June 25-28 in southwestern Michigan. You could make your way over from Sailmans place and hit that up. I'm sure there's a few of us on the southwestern part of the state that could put you up and also introduce you to the nectar that is Bells.

Mmmm Bells. Yes, you must bring as much of it to LoF as you can.

We promise you that your gift will be most appreciated :lol:

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Thank u thank u that u so excited! started my map, had no clue Google maps was so awesome! I can pin, rout, all with notes! You're all on my map "D will see what happens with it soon! wooohOO! found this: http://www.recycledrainbow.org/tickets.php September ohio maybe on the way back

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi again! So, we've since got a 3rd & a car & looking for 4th! for those who offered their couches, can you take in 3-4 of us? If not we'll look for couches in your area! We're still coming though! Bahaha... Soon I'll be able to say where we're headed when.. :D!

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Ahhhh, might u not be venturing out on this journey of urs until august-ish? boating season will be in full swing then. When I pm's u I couldnt remember when bouts u'd be wandering through this neck of the woods.

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:04 pm

So what does boating season mean..? We're leaving NY bout last week of July, one option is to be in Michigan bout 1st week of August or so, we got a non-eplayan burner friend there too, plus bout 3 people responded here, so we might wanna stay a bit... but another option is to stop in on the way back in late October. Not sure.

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Ah, & now that read your PM, let em add that we'll have a 10 x 10 tent & *hopefully* playa ready shade setup with us, happy to use your lawn or whatnot as a "couch" !

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”