Guatemala Outpost

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
HEADBANDMAN

Guatemala Outpost

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:53 am

We are living in Antigue Gautemala. It's a really old town in the Mountains of Guatemala. There are only about 30,000 thousand people living here and they are trying to out law cars in this town. The bicycle is by far the most popular form of transport and a car is a luxury. Gautemala is a wild place with no police no speeding laws. We live right by 3 Volcanoes. One is active. It's got a lot of thunder and lightining and smoke. It's vivid trippy place. People from burning man would love it. My wife and I met at Buringman a few years ago so it is always with us. I escaped my cubical and now we are here. Contact us if you are coming to town.

redstar

Guatemala

Post by redstar » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:28 pm

I love Antigua - I spent a couple months in Central America after the burn in 2002. My favourite place to go there, hmm - I think it had Rainbow in the name, was a little cafe with a bookshop next door. It had good vegetarian food.
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Ghandi

HEADBANDMAN

IT STOPPED

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:21 am

"THEN ONE DAY IT STOPPED RAINING" The other day is finally stopped raining. It was very sudden. I think now it a good time to come. It is already really dusty.
We had did a cool Guatemala thing last week. We went to All Saints Day. They have a huge party in a grave yard and "try to fly" these huge kites. Some as big as 15 Meters. It was sort of a Gusty day and the kites kept crashing into the crowd. The are trying to entise the spirts down from heaven. I could post some pictures But I have to figure out how.
Once we decide to leave that is when it got scarry. The grave yard is at the top of a hill. To get there you have to walk through the town and the streets are very narrow. As we were leaving about a million other people were tring to come into town. And that just didn't work too well. Everyone was smashed together. We had some kids in our group and I was afraid they were going to smushed. To make it more interesting they had all these venders cooking and selling corn. So there were a bunch on hot pots and fires on the side of the steet. Finally we took a huge detour around and got out of there. Safe. Yea it's wild. It's not safe. But I like that in a country.

steveoh

ohhhh Antigua

Post by steveoh » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:49 pm

I was just there for NYE and a day or two after, then went to Lake Atitlan. You are very lucky to live there, I'd like to someday. Wish I knew then what I knew now....

HEADBANDMAN

Getting Hot

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:22 pm

Yes NYE was fun. Lotssssssssssssss of fire works. Mostly set off by the inhabitants of the town. Crazy

Also winter is over and it's suddenly getting hot. I thought it would be longer O well :D

steveoh

Post by steveoh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 pm

Yea, we had to dodge so many bottlerokets in the center, they were streaking past our head and going under the benches. so much unsafe fun I loved it!!!!! I akso got impaled on one of the chains with all the spines sticking out of them, gave me a tetnus scare later.

ENJOY!

steveoh

Post by steveoh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:22 pm

Yea, we had to dodge so many bottlerokets in the center, they were streaking past our head and going under the benches. so much unsafe fun I loved it!!!!! I akso got impaled on one of the chains with all the spines sticking out of them, gave me a tetnus scare later.

ENJOY!

steveoh

guatemala outpost

Post by steveoh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:22 pm

ENJOY!

steveoh

Post by steveoh » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:10 pm

oops

HEADBANDMAN

Wrapping it up

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:37 pm

I am only going to be here a few more months. Hopefully back to San Fran by the end of June.

It hasn't rained here in six months. It is very dusty and wild west like. I saw another robbery with shots fired and people down on my way home the other day. What did they rob? a school bus.

But don't let that scare you. This is still an awesome place. So close to america but soooo different.

" Alien smuggling is also on the increase in Guatemala. The worsening economy has made Guatemala a bigger source country than ever, and it continues to be a major transit country for illegal aliens of all nationalities. Official and private corruption, a weak judicial system, largely unguarded coast lines, lack of host country resources, and geographic advantages combine to make Guatemala attractive for drug trafficking as well as for alien smuggling and many organized crime organizations successfully combine the two activities"

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”