Finally made it to Alaska! Annnnd theres no more burn.

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
PuckAK
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Defiance

Finally made it to Alaska! Annnnd theres no more burn.

Post by PuckAK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Everyone!
I moved up to Alaska last year and I discovered that the regionals up here have kind of fizzled out. The listed regional contact lives in Seattle now and has stepped down. Whats a burner to do? I've considered stepping up and applying to be the regional contact. Problem being I have zero exp running or planning an event of this size. That being said there is a huge hole in my life that can only be filled by burners ;)

So I guess what I'm asking here is for any advice (snarky included) about reviving the local burner community and or planning a small regional.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Finally made it to Alaska! Annnnd theres no more burn.

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Move back down from Alaska?

I suppose if I were thinking of stepping up and being the regional contact, I'd see if the former one in Seattle will talk to you and fill you in on where to have the event, who to set things up with, what hoops must be jumped, etc.
Maybe your new enthusiasm and different ways of doing things will get something going again.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:35 pm

If you really want to step up, then do it. You can learn as you go. That's how Larry did it. You could probably contact some of the other regional leaders and ask them for advice as well.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Doesn't have to be a big event to get started. Freezer Burn in Alberta started with just 30 people around a fire and a small man burn. It's a four day event now that attracts over 900 folks. Good luck!!!!!!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Build a stick-man, call him Twig-man, take him to an appropriate spot on a nice weekend day, burn him.

A couple-few weeks later, build a bigger Twig-man, take him to an appropriate spot on a nice weekend day, burn him.

A couple-few weeks later, build an even bigger Twig-man, take him to an appropriate spot on a nice weekend day, burn him.

A couple-few weeks later, go to an appropriate spot on a Friday afternoon, build a extra big Twig-man, burn him.

A couple-few weeks later, go to an appropriate spot on a Friday afternoon with all you new friends, build an epic big Twig-man, burn him.

Repeat until everyone gets arrested.

You now have a regional.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:54 am

I say go ahead and get involved. Reach out and connect with others. Check past year's theme camp listings (for Burning Man), you'll find a couple Alaska burner camps... reach out to them. Burning Man is a do-ocracy, if you see something needs to be done and you want and are able to help out, jump on in. You may not currently have any experience with events, but having a contact is better than no contact, and from there the community may be better able to come together. Plus, the Burning Man regional network has a lot of pretty awesome people all over the world, you may find a lot of experienced people able to give you tips and guidance. Good luck!

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”