Advice for an aspiring burner doctor

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
realitymama
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: First Kiss

Advice for an aspiring burner doctor

Post by realitymama » Wed May 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Hello fellow burners,

I have been running a theme camp for the last 6 years and as such am heavily involved in the Burning Man community. I am now applying to medical school. I am wondering if I should list my leadership experience with burning man on my medical school application or if it is considered too taboo by admissions committees.

In addition, I would love to hear stories from other medical professionals on the playa, how you make the pilgrimage work with your medical practice.

Thanks and much love,

Reality Mama

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Advice for an aspiring burner doctor

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Medical schools tend to be very conservative.
I wouldn't even mention you ever went.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Re: Advice for an aspiring burner doctor

Post by kittyrodriguez » Thu May 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Of course it ultimately depends on how conservative your school is, but I think it could be beneficial in demonstrating your well-roundedness. If you have a diverse resume, adding something else that showcases your leadership abilities could be favorable.

You could soften the extremity of it by phrasing things carefully. Perhaps don't mention it by name, just mention that you organize and are responsible for "blank" number of people in a harsh environment and that it required you to do A, B. and C.

I have not applied to medical school, but I did go through the law school application process (and was accepted). With the sheer quantity of applicants, sometimes it can be advantageous to stand out.

Do note, though, that this is merely my opinion, and perhaps it would behoove you to seek the advice of an admissions advisor.

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”