Playa Arts Sneak Peak Question

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
ruebear
Burning Since: 2015

Playa Arts Sneak Peak Question

Post by ruebear » Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Hello everyone!
My husband and I have finally relocated to the Bay Area and we're so excited to become more involved in the burner community. We're planning on attending the Playa Arts Sneak Peak event tonight in Oakland but we're very unfamiliar with the entire Bay Area. Someone mentioned not to linger around the area too much so I was hoping someone could help with advice as to where to stay out of and recommendations on parking? I saw on Google Earth that the event will be held in what looks like a warehouse and there's street parking but is the surrounding area safe or is there a specific street near there that we should stay away from? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :P

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Re: Playa Arts Sneak Peak Question

Post by Dr Helix » Fri May 20, 2016 2:27 pm

ruebear wrote:Hello everyone!
My husband and I have finally relocated to the Bay Area and we're so excited to become more involved in the burner community. We're planning on attending the Playa Arts Sneak Peak event tonight in Oakland but we're very unfamiliar with the entire Bay Area. Someone mentioned not to linger around the area too much so I was hoping someone could help with advice as to where to stay out of and recommendations on parking? I saw on Google Earth that the event will be held in what looks like a warehouse and there's street parking but is the surrounding area safe or is there a specific street near there that we should stay away from? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :P
Hi ruebear! I am also going tonight and been to many events at American Steel (The warehouse you referred to) and never had a problem. It is in an area that has had some issues but nothing outrageous. Lots of street parking in or near the place. No particular street I'm aware of is to be avoided. Normal precautions should be taken (Don't leave anything valuable in your car, be aware of your surroundings). Here is a link to the FB page if you don't already have it: with more info. My wife Lisa and I will be presenting outr project "Ursa Major" there. Come by and see us at our table after. Welcome to the neighborhood!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

RUEBEAR! I really wish I could go. Abba Zabba would kill me if she knew I missed a chance to see you guys. (Ruebear and Tourist camped near us last year and they are a pleasure.) I've been to American Steel and it's not too sketchy a neighborhood. If you're worried just bring an empty catfood can and some other junk and leave it on your dashboard. In other words, make your car look like your residence. Maybe this would be a good time to load that recycling into the back seat. I will see you soon. Maybe we'll go to Precompression or some work night. Let me know if you find an interesting project. There's always sticking pennies on a bear. (Bring pennies). Miss you. The picture is of Ruebear cooking when we hosted a grilled cheese etc.. event.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

ruebear

Post by ruebear » Fri May 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Ratty wrote:RUEBEAR! I really wish I could go. Abba Zabba would kill me if she knew I missed a chance to see you guys. (Ruebear and Tourist camped near us last year and they are a pleasure.) I've been to American Steel and it's not too sketchy a neighborhood. If you're worried just bring an empty catfood can and some other junk and leave it on your dashboard. In other words, make your car look like your residence. Maybe this would be a good time to load that recycling into the back seat. I will see you soon. Maybe we'll go to Precompression or some work night. Let me know if you find an interesting project. There's always sticking pennies on a bear. (Bring pennies). Miss you. The picture is of Ruebear cooking when we hosted a grilled cheese etc.. event.

I miss you more Ratty :( Where will the pennies project be taking place? We'd love to join after some acre yoga tomorrow :)

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat May 21, 2016 2:25 pm

ruebear wrote: Where will the pennies project be taking place?
The info you need can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=467&t=77017
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ruebear

Post by ruebear » Sat May 21, 2016 9:08 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:
ruebear wrote: Where will the pennies project be taking place?
The info you need can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=467&t=77017

Thank you BoyScoutGirl

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”