Irish burn virgin thinking of soloing 2017

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
Mattdoc81
Burning Since: 2017

Irish burn virgin thinking of soloing 2017

Post by Mattdoc81 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm so unbelievably unready yet beautifully wanting to do burning man, I've zero friends willing to give up the amount of time and money it would take to come from wee country down in Northern Ireland for this....so I'm wondering what's my best plan of attack? And is there anyone willing of partnering? <3

Jackass

Re: Irish burn virgin thinking of soloing 2017

Post by Jackass » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 pm

There's quite a few Irish burners, you should hook up with them first... They've got resources.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:19 pm

Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:52 pm

I have no good advice on that, but welcome to Eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Going solo your first year is seriously the best. Maybe try to have someone you know, that you'll try to find and camp near, but don't worry about that too hard. Bring all the things you'll need, drive in, find a place to camp and then have a blast. Do so many things wrong...it's your right as a virgin.

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:04 pm

maladroit wrote:Going solo your first year is seriously the best. Maybe try to have someone you know, that you'll try to find and camp near, but don't worry about that too hard. Bring all the things you'll need, drive in, find a place to camp and then have a blast. Do so many things wrong...it's your right as a virgin.
This advice was given to me this year and I took it. Going solo is absolutely the way to go. You not only get a real time lesson in all the principles (Especially self reliance!) but you have the freedom to do what works for you and to learn what doesn't. I learned so much about how I react to stuff, good and bad.

Some ex-virgin advice: Do your homework. You have plenty of time. Research and design your approach based on the shared wisdom of people who have been doing it for a while. Use their designs for shelter, foot, water, transportation, all of that. I looked for "playa tested" approaches and did not change them much and I had no equipment failures, not one. I didn't buy anything until I had dug around to see what worked and what didn't.

There are some really smart (ass) people here on eplaya but search the pages before you ask a question they have answered a dozen times already. I had someone I had met here on eplaya camp just down the road from me and she gave me great advice the whole time I was there.

I'm no longer a virgin but I'm still a newbie, I just scratched the surface of this thing and cannot wait to go back.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:41 am

There are a lot of advantages to joining a theme camp if you are coming from overseas. Do your research should you decide to go that route to find a camp you think might be a good fit.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

burningtarot
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Burning Tarot

Post by burningtarot » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:10 am

really depends what sort of person you are (which may not become apparent 'til you're out there on the Playa). some folks are urging you to go solo, and i can see the appeal. but personally, i tend to do best out there when i'm working on something --- usually a theme camp. it's nice to have the grounding that a small home base camp can provide, in terms of community and sharing resources. seriously, it's kind of ridiculous and environmentally unfriendly to have five kitchens where you could have one!

hope you make it out there. and just 'cause you're Irish doesn't mean you have to connect with an Irish camp. look for any theme camp signing up volunteers. for many Americans, it would be a treat to have you and your accent on board. and God knows the Americans can always use a little global perspective, as ours tends to be up our arseholes.
~ miss magdalen of mystical mayhem ~ burning tarot ~ in central oregon

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”