Freeze Dried shortage

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Freeze Dried shortage

Post by XPTom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:32 am

If freeze dried foods popular with backpackers and campers are part of your burn plan you may want to have a Plan B. A newly minted crop of preppers is in the panic mode and major vendors like Mountain House and Be Prepared are out of almost everything. Strawberries that were in stock when ordered last week may not ship for a month or two. My Daiquiri plan is at risk.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Sham

Re: Freeze Dried shortage

Post by Sham » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:06 pm

I blame this guy for the freeze dried food shortage. He has everyone setting up their doomsday bunkers. :roll:

bastos
Burning Since: 2020

Post by bastos » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:14 am

Thats a great idea actually!
Would canned food work too with the heat?

XPTom

Post by XPTom » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:05 am

I like that freeze dried has more "texture" as it transitions from cardboard to soggy. Canned or fresh would be more difficult to keep the daiquiri viscosity thick in the desert heat.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

XPTom

Post by XPTom » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:40 pm

Follow up: last of what I ordered Feb-March arrived today. Lots of freeze dried strawberries, plus banana, pineapple, and blueberries. Last item I need is a good 12V blender. Then it is just a case of waiting for house arrest to end this summer so I can practice making daiquiris in triple digit desert temps.

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 am

Here's a nifty camping trick for blender drinks. It works ok.

XPTom

Post by XPTom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks Toe. That just made my summer. The switch on my Kitchen blender just let some smoke out and it would make a perfect organ donor. .

Return to “Food & Drink”