boil the microwave rice pouch

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Jeannie Ginx
Burning Since: 2021

boil the microwave rice pouch

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Hey Burners Extraordinaire,

I'm thinking ahead and was wondering about those microwavable rice pouches you see in the store now. The pouch is 460 Caleries combind that with tasty bites currie pouches (which can be boiled) it would be 750 caleries. Pretty good to start you day with for all the playa playing.

Has anyone ever boiled the whole pouch and then opened it for some rice to eat? I'm gonna boil one tonight or tomorrow and I will tell you if it was palatable.

Thanks all
Love
J
Normal is boring. Don't be boring.
Love

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: boil the microwave rice pouch

Post by Popeye » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:21 pm

you could boil it.
Or you could put it on your das to let the sun heat it up.
Or you could eat it cold.
All would work, Trader Joes sells some decent boil in bag food.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:13 pm

One of our campers lives off of pouched vegetarian food all week. Only heats them when he needs more of a comfort food kind of thing. He states it's super time efficient and not much volume of waste while shoveling with a spork.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Set in on your dash in the morning?
Or would that be too long, even for slow cooking.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 am

Yep, put it on the dashboard of your car. Park facing southwest for warm dinner.

The thing is, those pouch meals (generally) don't need actual cooking. They're meant to be warmed up but are often totally serviceable at ambient playa temperature, unless your feeling a need for a proper meal.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm

There are many ePlaya threads on food you can search.

Here is what is not in the first-timer guide
1 Electrolytes. The body needs sodium. chlorine, and potassium ions. Sodium and chlorine ions are easy in common table salt. Potassium you have to work for. Without all three, your nervous system will shut down, then you will die. I had to go to medical for the beginning of a shutdown. A friend had to be evacuated to the hospital in Reno for it. We were both many year experienced burners. If you have vomiting, bleeding, or diarrhea, your risk is extremely severe because you are losing electrolytes beyond simple skin perspiration, which in itself endangers many, including me, day one.
2 Appetite. Some people gain, I lose.
3 Altitude. There is medical name for it, but altitude adjustments can cause constipation. Fiber, like whole grain rice, dried fruit, and coffee help. It affects me going from roughly sea level to the playa 4000' driving overland. Everyone flying in will be affected.
4 Don’t count on gift food. It is there, but with an hour plus line often. That is an hour wasted interacting with many more people.
5 Donations. Some shelf-stable food can be donated outbound. Or use it on your next camping trip!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Food & Drink”