Cheap Liquor!

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
CornStar
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp ShitShow!

Cheap Liquor!

Post by CornStar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Howdy,
My fellows & I plan to bring plenty of alcohol (beer, wine, liquor, mouthwash, anything that gets the job done) to enjoy as well as to share. I had a couple questions: #1 - BM doesn't make you have like a vending permit or be camped in a special place or have a liquor license or any of that bullshit if we just wanted to set up a free bar at our site? I'm assuming that's legit . . . which leads to question #2 - I'm travelling from Washington state which you may or may not know has the HIGHEST prices on liquor, Im sure of it. I've been to random states like Wisconsin where its nearly half price, unfortunately I dont think thats gonna be on the way to BRC. Any suggestions of cheap states to buy mad quantities of booze in? And if you know specific cities & stories that have especially good prices, I would be open to that information as well. Thanks folks.
:)
Who wants to do a Dunkaroo?!

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 pm

Q1. no problem!
Q2.Reno! good prices, carter to BM.
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

flatfish

Post by flatfish » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Reno is probably your best . If your not looking for something to exotic Rite Aid usually has some good prices on liquor.

CornStar

Post by CornStar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Ok so aparently Nevada has good prices ... AND you can buy liquor in any random store, not just liquor stores?! Thats awesome! Just for the sake of comparison, how much is a fifth of JD in Nevada. Cuz its $23 in WA. And also do any states typically sell liquor in quantites larger than a 1/2 gal? Or do u need like a liquor license for that?

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Yes, you can set up bar and make drinks with no permit required. The only real stipulation is that you bring plenty of alcohol to last the week. :D Nearly every chain store in Reno sells liquor, so there should be no problem finding some near the airport.
As a personal request, can you bring olives and those little plastic swords for the martinis.
It appears to be your first year on the playa. You are in for the best week of your life. Brace yourself and welcome to the playa!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Mixers, bring lots of mixers.

CornStar

Post by CornStar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 pm

Ummm ... I havent actually looked at a map (well I guess it wouldn't matter because I dont think BRC is on maps), but Im driving from Washington & isn't Reno way south of BRC? If so, any other suggestions ... like are there other legit cities in Nevada that are north of BRC or is BRC right on the boarder of whatevers north. What is north anyway? Shoot ... where's my map?

flatfish

Post by flatfish » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Always ready to help a fellow camper. Just got the newest flyer on liquor sales from Rite Aid. Here goes Canadian Club 1.75 Lit, Absolute 750 ml. Bombay Gin 750 mi All priced at 19.99 Seagrams 7- 1.75lit JD #7 whiskey 750 mil and Tanquarey 750 mil each for 16.99 You decide. This could be part of the survival guide.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:58 pm

We're coming down from Washington also. You should pass thru or near Alturas, CA...buy your booze there.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Gerlach and the Black Rock Desert are on your map.

vic

Hootch in Alturas

Post by vic » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:11 pm

Where is the best place to by hootch in Alturas?

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 pm

Rite Aid
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:31 pm

depends on if you're coming from seattle or spokane. alturas is only a 30 minute backtrack coming down from the north and you have to hit it before closing time. if you take the eastern route from spokane through nampa you will hit winnemucca. just buy your hooch when you can and spend the extra $50 bucks. it'd suck to have everything you need but have to stop in alturas to wait for the store to open just because you wanted to save a little bux.

my op
blow.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:09 am

Keep in mind that Nevada is a state that caters to alcoholism like you wouldn't believe. If you're ANYWHERE in Nevada (except Gerlach right before burn time) you're not going to have a hard time getting cheap booze. If there's a supermarket, there's booze. Stay away from the slot machines though. Those are bad.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 am

Nearly every entrance into Nevada is clustered with liquor stores on the NV side.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 am

Your going to pay sales tax in CA also, NV doesn't have a sales tax. That could add up to be another bottle if you buy your hootch in NV.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Re: Cheap Liquor!

Post by sputnik » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:06 am

CornStar wrote:Howdy,
#1 - BM doesn't make you have like a vending permit or be camped in a special place or have a liquor license or any of that bullshit if we just wanted to set up a free bar at our site?
Despite the implication from the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks, no permit needed if you are only serving booze. BTW, you couldn't charge if you wanted to, but you knew that, right?
It's going to be alright.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:23 pm

sputnik wrote:
#1 - BM doesn't make you have like a vending permit or be camped in a special place or have a liquor license or any of that bullshit if we just wanted to set up a free bar at our site?
Despite the implication from the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks, no permit needed if you are only serving booze. BTW, you couldn't charge if you wanted to, but you knew that, right?
right

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 pm

AntiM wrote:Mixers, bring lots of mixers.
That brings up a good subject. Gifting mixers to bars. I am a V8 addict out there, so I have my whitetrash Mary mix ready, but what else makes a good mixer gift? I generally show up with a cup, a bottle of nice scotch, but what about a contribution to a bar? Any ideas from those who have organized a bar? I know you don't want limes or lemons, is there a canned mixer that isn't too offensive? (I am a scotch, dry martini, and Bloody Mary and beer guy, so I don't know what sort of froofy stuff you kids are drinking these days...)

mojo

Post by mojo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Cranberry juice - bars LOVE being gifted cranberry juice......

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:16 pm

An ice cold Tom Collins...Vodka, collins mixer, and ice.

Marscrumbs

Nevada sales tax

Post by Marscrumbs » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:16 pm

[quote="Bounce530"]Your going to pay sales tax in CA also, NV doesn't have a sales tax. That could add up to be another bottle if you buy your hootch in NV.[/quote]

Nevada has a sale tax in Washoe Co. (Reno) 7.375% .

On the plus side is you can buy Everclear in Nevada if you can find it but not in California.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm

I stand corrected then. huh, I would've lost money on that bet. I guess its kind of a new law. I really didn't think they had a sales tax.
Sorry for almost spreading false info. :oops:

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Nevada has had sales tax as long as I've lived here (since 94). It's null on food and beverage, but alcohol doesn't count under that exemption.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 pm

If you are going to be gifting booze at BM, make sure to ask people if they are 21+ and legal to drink.

It is illegal to gift booze to anyone under 21. It is also illegal for them to claim they are 21+ to get booze.

Martini Steve
Apokiliptika Kantina
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm

CornStar,
You sound like a first time burner. Welcome home. I too live in WA and find the booze prices unacceptable. I don't know what route you are taking but I go thru Alturas (SP?), CA. All the grocery stores sell liquor. I stopped there last year and they had all the booze I needn't, well wait a minute, they had all the booze I could afford. It is much cheaper than WA. Between Alturas and BRC there is really nothing and Reno is about a 200 mile round trip detour. So my recommendation is California.

Do you know why liquor is so expensive in WA? They have high taxes on liquor to protect us from ourselves. And those dick heads had the nerve to actually say that with a straight face.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:33 pm

In Alturas, at the corner of Hwy 395 and Hwy 299, across the street from the Standard Gas Station is the "Four Corners Market" Rich, who is in charge of the market has offered to stay open Sunday night August 24, 2008 and to discount the prices on alcohol and have low prices for Burners. He loves us and looks forward to having a lot of fun.

My fellows & I plan to bring plenty of alcohol (beer, wine, liquor, mouthwash, anything that gets the job done) to enjoy as well as to share. I had a couple questions: #1 - BM doesn't make you have like a vending permit or be camped in a special place or have a liquor license or any of that bullshit if we just wanted to set up a free bar at our site? I'm assuming that's legit . . . which leads to question #2 - I'm travelling from Washington state which you may or may not know has the HIGHEST prices on liquor, Im sure of it. I've been to random states like Wisconsin where its nearly half price, unfortunately I dont think thats gonna be on the way to BRC. Any suggestions of cheap states to buy mad quantities of booze in? And if you know specific cities & stories that have especially good prices, I would be open to that information as well. Thanks folks.
:)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 pm

nothing like having a supplier to buy booze from!

vic

buying hootch in Alturas and gifting to bars

Post by vic » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for the tip on Alturas - four corners market. Alcohol is definately less expensive in California compared to Oregon, Washington and BC. If you are coming south from Oregon on 395, the turn to the east (toward BRC) is about 2 miles before you get to Alturas. Note that you will have to go through an agriculural inspection station if you go into Alturas - they may take away your fresh produce.

Regarding gifts to bars, the most valued items are mixers, ice, and cups. Ice you can get in BRC, but the rest you must bringfrom the outside. Cups are always welcome, particularly toward the end of the week. If you want to give booze, you can always step down to pint bottles and spread it around.

CornStar

Post by CornStar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 pm

"In Alturas, at the corner of Hwy 395 and Hwy 299, across the street from the Standard Gas Station is the "Four Corners Market" Rich, who is in charge of the market has offered to stay open Sunday night August 24, 2008 and to discount the prices on alcohol and have low prices for Burners. He loves us and looks forward to having a lot of fun"

How late on Sunday Night? Thanks a lot for the info, i checked the map & its on my route. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Food & Drink”