Cheap Liquor!

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Kenny Z
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: United Nations

Post by Kenny Z » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:28 pm

CornStar wrote:Ok so aparently Nevada has good prices ... AND you can buy liquor in any random store, not just liquor stores?! Thats awesome! Just for the sake of comparison, how much is a fifth of JD in Nevada. Cuz its $23 in WA. And also do any states typically sell liquor in quantites larger than a 1/2 gal? Or do u need like a liquor license for that?

And you can buy booze 24-7! For example: If you are heading into Nevada at 5am on a Sunday, you can buy booze (as long as the store is open). It's easy to get in trouble in this state!

In Reno, for value, if you are a Costco member, you can get liquor for cheap and in bulk, however, it can be limited. Walmart has decent stock with hillbilly prices. For special need drinkers, Ben's Liquors is the place to go. They have one hell of a selection.

Gage
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Post by Gage » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 am

chiefdanfox wrote:
AntiM wrote:Mixers, bring lots of mixers.
That brings up a good subject. Gifting mixers to bars. I am a V8 addict out there, so I have my whitetrash Mary mix ready, but what else makes a good mixer gift? I generally show up with a cup, a bottle of nice scotch, but what about a contribution to a bar? Any ideas from those who have organized a bar? I know you don't want limes or lemons, is there a canned mixer that isn't too offensive? (I am a scotch, dry martini, and Bloody Mary and beer guy, so I don't know what sort of froofy stuff you kids are drinking these days...)
V-8 Addict here as well!! Bringing a TON of it, along with some vodka, horseradish, Salt/Pepper and other secret ingredients for the recovery period I will be hitting most mornings... :)

I like the suggestion about gifting mixers. Cranberry, Pineapple, and maybe some red bull... I'm a 5-hour energy guy myself.
Seeker & Creator of Present-Moment Magic

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:41 am

Worcestershire sauce and 'janes crazy mixed up salt' is the best to add with what you mentioned. and maybe even a sprinkle of celery salt. garnish with a strip of bacon :drool:

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 am

CornStar wrote:How late on Sunday Night? Thanks a lot for the info, i checked the map & its on my route. I really appreciate it.
Rich will keep the store open all night Sunday, they will not close until Monday night. So for opening day at BRC, here is a stop on the way that will be open for sure. And dig it,, gas station across the street also staying open all night.

CornStar is was your post that got me to make the phone call to Rich at the store. Thank you

also, remember if you leave a bit early and want to "rest" up, stop by my RV park and say hi.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Post by This Woman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:54 am

Hey Sputnik,

How sure are you on the irrelevance of the health permit for bars? I was livid when I read that in JS Speaks.

We've run a clean bar since 96, and I'll be damned if I'm going to get a permit. Their standards are probably lower than ours, lol.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:42 am

This Woman wrote:Hey Sputnik,

How sure are you on the irrelevance of the health permit for bars? I was livid when I read that in JS Speaks.

We've run a clean bar since 96, and I'll be damned if I'm going to get a permit. Their standards are probably lower than ours, lol.
From the 2008 Survival Guide page 9 bottom right.. Gifting food or fresh juices to the publice reqires a permit from the Nevada State Health Division. Visit http://health.nv.gov and do a search for the exact phrase "Temporary Event" to learn what is required. YOu don't need a permit for bar ice, but your ice must come from a commercial source approved by the Health Division, like local stores or our own ice sales.

I think that makes it pretty clear.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Post by This Woman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 pm

KITCHENS/BARS OR DRINKS, INCLUDING FRESH SQUEEZED JUICES
If you are providing beverages and/or food for your camp and friends,
no health permit is needed but public kitchens and bars of any sort
need a permit.

ICE
Ice is considered food by the health department and as such your ice
source must be approved by the health department. The easiest way to
comply is to purchase your ice from commercial sources or from us at
the event (money from our ice sales gets donated directly back to
local community projects, see the Artica Afterburn report for exact
details).
That's what I thought. Then the above was in the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks, issue #22. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, and that's how I'm treating it.
[/quote]
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm

I figure I'm just going to be our very own Health Inspektor this year and issue our own permit. Yes, we are hereby permitted.

Mixers needed/appreciated: soft drinks, juice of any kind, margarita mix, tonic, soda water. Ice is ALWAYS appreciated. The first alchols to go are (in this order) vodka, tequila, rum, gin, bourbon, specialty stuff. Scotch is always left over. Lemons and limes are greatly appreciated. Heck, if you happen to find a bar with a knowledgeable bartender (ours happens to be the very best in the city), the bartender can make good use of any type of gift.

For cheap liquor, I've been hitting the local sales around here (Reno/Sparks). CVS Pharmacy has great prices right now, Longs drugs has great prices on both alcohol and mixers, Sak N Sav, and Scolari's. Costco is good for reasonably priced high end stuff (no cheap stuff there).
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Todays JRS says the below was an error.

"In the most recent JRS, the Health and Safety edition, it was
incorrectly stated that bars (like, serving drinks) on playa require a
permit from the Nevada Health Department. Alas, not true, UNLESS
they're serving fresh squeezed juices. To which we say: yum. And:
oops."

This Woman wrote:
KITCHENS/BARS OR DRINKS, INCLUDING FRESH SQUEEZED JUICES
If you are providing beverages and/or food for your camp and friends,
no health permit is needed but public kitchens and bars of any sort
need a permit.

ICE
Ice is considered food by the health department and as such your ice
source must be approved by the health department. The easiest way to
comply is to purchase your ice from commercial sources or from us at
the event (money from our ice sales gets donated directly back to
local community projects, see the Artica Afterburn report for exact
details).
That's what I thought. Then the above was in the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks, issue #22. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, and that's how I'm treating it.
[/quote]

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:11 pm

I just saw that on JRspeaks! Also Bounce, your recipe for a "Tom" collins is actually for a Vodka Collins. The Tom is Gin. A John Collins is Bourbon.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:27 pm

MissNev wrote:I just saw that on JRspeaks! Also Bounce, your recipe for a "Tom" collins is actually for a Vodka Collins. The Tom is Gin. A John Collins is Bourbon.
And for Pirates (or cubans) there's the ol' Ron Collins.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:33 pm

I forgot that California does not allow sales of Alcoholic Beverages between 2:00am and 6:00am. Only a 4 hour period.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Kenny Z

Post by Kenny Z » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:48 pm

MissNev wrote: Costco is good for reasonably priced high end stuff (no cheap stuff there).
Yeah there is a lot of high end bulk alcohol like Patron, Don Julio, Kettle One, etc., however, last year I picked up tons of Gordon's Vodka for cheap. I'm assuming (more hoping) you don't consider Gordon's high end. :wink:

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm

I didn't know they had Gordons at Costco. No, not high end! That's just well stuff, but good for mixing at give-it-all-away bar!

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 pm

By the way...How you doing Kenny? Remember you met me at the Nugget?

Kenny Z

Post by Kenny Z » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:19 pm

MissNev wrote:By the way...How you doing Kenny? Remember you met me at the Nugget?
Oh hey, of course AKA. Playagdss!

Hope your summer is going well. We will have to meet up for some Gordon's on playa! :D

Return to “Food & Drink”