Bringing Fresh Fruit or Vegetable through California

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Bringing Fresh Fruit or Vegetable through California

Post by wedeliver » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:19 pm

The California Department of Food and Agriculture now has all border inspection stations open 24/7.

People on the way to Burning Man from the Pacific Northwest might transit California and pass through a Department of Food and Agriculture border inspection station.

They can search your vehicle for fruits, vegetables and nursery stock.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/

I will speak with the Inspection stations next to us (Tulelake and Alturas) and see if they can allow burners to proceed without search, since you won't be staying in California.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:14 am

24/7 now ??

we were through there 13 days ago...twice....no-one and nothing going on.

maybe they will have a shortfall and run out of budget by then.........?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:36 am

oneeyeddick wrote:24/7 now ??

we were through there 13 days ago...twice....no-one and nothing going on.

maybe they will have a shortfall and run out of budget by then.........?
Which station did you drive by and it was closed?? The Tulelake station has been 24/7 for several months. I know all the other stations are also "supposed" to be working 24/7 but because of staffing issues they might close for a shift. I would expect the issues with staffing to be resolved by August. Also the money for these stations has been budgeted and I don't think they will close them.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:08 am

Come out of Or. @ Lakeview. The station is up the road from the Cedarvill turnoff. No prob.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:26 am

unjonharley wrote:Come out of Or. @ Lakeview. The station is up the road from the Cedarvill turnoff. No prob.
Very true, but if you need fuel or want to go to alturas, you would then need to go through the station And then you wouldn't be going by my place.

We will be arranging for the Alturas Chevron Station, the Corner Market and a few other places to stay open all night Sunday August 30th, 2009.

There might be good deals on booze by calling ahead and ordering from the Corner Store, he can still let you pick up your booze after 2:00am since it would already be paid for.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Bringing Fresh Fruit or Vegetable through California

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:41 am

wedeliver wrote:The California Department of Food and Agriculture now has all border inspection stations open 24/7.

People on the way to Burning Man from the Pacific Northwest might transit California and pass through a Department of Food and Agriculture border inspection station.

They can search your vehicle for fruits, vegetables and nursery stock.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/

I will speak with the Inspection stations next to us (Tulelake and Alturas) and see if they can allow burners to proceed without search, since you won't be staying in California.
I would doubt they'd agree......since, the idea is to keep "pests" from food crops out......at all.......whether it works or not is, of course, debatable, but, CA agriculture being as big and important as it is, they are trying to keep those little nasties from getting into the crops.....and, they do fly and crawl..........and you know, there are people that would bring infested/infected fruit, etc in, not caring anyway........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 am

wedeliver wrote:
Which station did you drive by and it was closed?? The Tulelake station has been 24/7 for several months. I know all the other stations are also "supposed" to be working 24/7 but because of staffing issues they might close for a shift. I would expect the issues with staffing to be resolved by August. Also the money for these stations has been budgeted and I don't think they will close them.
It was the Alturas one, closed when I looked at it going north on Sat at noonish, and again closed southbound on tue at 4:00 pm-ish.

When we were heading up from Reno, the one on the way to Susanville was open.............
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Screw Ca. those nasty little bugs are the protein in my veggie diet..

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:50 pm

The number of times I've gone through the Truckee one and it's been empty...

And the times after the burn, they just take one look at the playa on your truck and wave you through. Although they may ask a few questions if you don't have CA plates, just a guess really.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:13 pm

bump

Again

The California Department of Food and Agriculture now has all border inspection stations open 24/7.

They can search your vehicle for fruits, vegetables, nursery stock, pets and animals.

my advice is to not bring, cherries, avocados and unhusked corn, citrus fruits and tropical fruits

Persimmon firewood is prohibited entry

this is just a partial list but it does give the idea of what they are looking for and what they will confiscate.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

skygnome777

Post by skygnome777 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:34 pm

I was hoping to make some beef jerky and dehydrate some fruit to take to burning man.
I'm flying into LA, do you think they'd have a problem with that?
Peace, love, intellectual stimulation, and good times!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:33 pm

If you dehydrate your fruit and you still have med flies you're doing it wrong.

Of course, arcane rules are what a bereaucracy thrives on, but you could probably email the airport and ask.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:39 am

I don't think anyone asks you at the airport. This thread is directed to people coming from the Pacific Northwest using either California 139 or US 395 and going to Alturas.

If you take 395 and wish to go to Alturas for fuel or food you must go through a bug inspection station.

If you are coming past my place on California 139 there is an inspection station.

they have the right to search your vehicle. Like good boy scouts "be prepared"

Naturally, if you are going to Burning Man there really is no reason for them to search or do anything since you are not going further into california.

This was meant as a heads up.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:42 pm

When we went to Washington this past July we entered the golden state on 447 from Nevada. There is a sign saying if you have produce you must notify the department of agriculture. We had some and we did'nt notify anybody because we hung a right on 395 and went to Oregon. Caltrans was doing a chip seal on 395 between 447 and the Oregon line and we got delayed about 15 minutes to wait for a pilot car. During the wait I ate a necterine and tossed the pit out. :twisted: Similar sign is on 88.

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Anybody driving into and through Arizona, say from New Mexico and points east may have similar encounters though not as extensive.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Thecatman wrote:During the wait I ate a necterine and tossed the pit out. :twisted:
That's very irresponsible on so many levels.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Better then a baby diaper or piss bottle.

gidget

Post by gidget » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 pm

In all 25 years of driving through the OR/CA border I have never once been searched. Not on the 5 near Yreka, and not by Tule Lake. They ask you if you have produce and you say no. They wave you through. Never had a problem going to Burning Man or anywhere else.
gidget is gadgety-good!

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:26 pm

gidget wrote:In all 25 years of driving through the OR/CA border I have never once been searched. Not on the 5 near Yreka, and not by Tule Lake. They ask you if you have produce and you say no. They wave you through. Never had a problem going to Burning Man or anywhere else.
I did not say they will search you, I only said they can search you. The Tulelake inspection station is 4 miles up the road from where I live. This was meant as a heads up..

Here, wanna test the system.. drive into california with a load of grocery bags on the back seat. See what they say to you under those condtions. And if they ask you if you have any fresh produce, say, "just some cherries and corn we bought on the side of the road up in Oregon". Or lie and commit a crime.

Hopefully at this tulelake station they will ask if you are going to Burning Man, if you are they will let you proceed since you will just transit california and leave.

I was not trying to scare anyone. I hope I have made my point.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:04 pm

As a kid, every year we would go to Arizona to visit our kin-folk and we would cross back into the golden state through Blythe or Needles and we would be asked. My parents were truthful and if we had some they would say we got it at a grocery store in Phoenix, which was true and they let us go. That was in the 60s and 70s. :cry:

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm

who you calling a fresh. fruit ?

it's an extrem camping trip..

dry the fruit you will eat for the week.. seal a meal them in dayle use packets

do not buy dryed fruit. they use some bad stuff to make it look just so..

blanch and seal a meal your veggies.. make them up in meal size packets..

there is no reason to kill this fly with a sledg hammer..

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 am

unjonharley wrote:who you calling a fresh. fruit ?
What a deeply hurtful slur.

Consider buying your fresh fruit in Nevada.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
unjonharley wrote:who you calling a fresh. fruit ?
What a deeply hurtful slur.

Consider buying your fresh fruit in Nevada.
Or Alturas. If you don't need to stop at Alturas you can avoid any inspeciton station by coming down 395 then over to Cedarville, so then you could have any produce you want. No bug station that route, but of course then you can't stop at my place.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:17 pm

Above I misspoke when I said you can pick up pre paid booze after 2:00am at the corner store.

The name is Four Corners Market in Alturas and they checked and they cannot let booze leave the building between 2:00am and 6:00am. But pre ordering should get a good rate. Please let us know how it goes if you use that service.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Aaaaannnnd... seven years later....

On my way home to California this year, at the Truckee inspection station, I was asked about any recyclable materials I carried. I replied that I had assorted flattened aluminum cans and various plastic bottles. The lady wanted to know how much such.

I searched my memory and came up with about half a laundry hamper worth. She told me that any appreciable quantities of such was supposed to be disposed of in Nevada. With my estimate of the stuff, she allowed me to continue on my way.

Whatta-hey is that about???

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:20 pm

What has also changed in those seven years, or at least in the past year, is that the inspection station near Alturas/Cedarville is now fully functional.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:38 am

People have been smuggling recyclables in from out of state and getting the CRV for them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
Elliot wrote:Aaaaannnnd... seven years later....

On my way home to California this year, at the Truckee inspection station, I was asked about any recyclable materials I carried. I replied that I had assorted flattened aluminum cans and various plastic bottles. The lady wanted to know how much such.

I searched my memory and came up with about half a laundry hamper worth. She told me that any appreciable quantities of such was supposed to be disposed of in Nevada. With my estimate of the stuff, she allowed me to continue on my way.

Whatta-hey is that about???

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 am

Interesting. They asked us too. I wondered why. I had no idea that was illegal.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:12 pm

:shock:
Wow.
Just...
WOW.

I thought I was at least slightly familiar with the weird stuff humans are capable of. But that one... is brand new to me.

In a sense... I wish the official had required a thorough inspection of my recyclables. It had to be done sooner or later, and I could have used the extra help.

This is just a small fraction of it.

All the rotting maggot-infested food-scraps sure stank up my barn, too.

Of course, pretty much all the beverage-empties were purchases in California in the first place. I buy the stuff at the best prices I can find over a couple months prior to the Event.

Lastly....
I just put all my recyclables -- "CRV" or not -- in the blue curb-side barrel, which I pay good money to have emptied every Monday. So no profit motive.
(I know... I know.... Some people take this stuff to a "redemption center" and collect the nickels. I figure those nickels subsidize the trash company, and my monthly bill would be correspondingly higher if I reclaimed those nickles myself. In principle.)

Not directly related, but....
I came thru this inspection station less than 24 hours after the ordeal with being accused of stealing bicycles in BRC. Lots of off-loading and re-loading of bicycles on the roof of the bus. "Tense" emotions. TWICE on my way out of BRC.

If the lady at Truckee had insisted on an inspections of my effin' empty cans and bottles, I would probably still be in jail today.

The up-side to that would have been....
I would have had plenty free time to plot a truly devious scheme to unleash on them next year.

I think I will set aside December for this anyway. :twisted:

[Kidding aside.... Maybe I will keep all the receipts from the California beverage purchases -- stuff them in my BM briefcase. What are the odds I will remember to do that come July and August 2017?]

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:46 pm

It really makes me question the motivations behind, and value of, these recycling programs if is illegal to "smuggle" recyclable goods across state lines. One would think they would welcome this kind of effort to recycle good. You know, for the good of the planet or something?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Food & Drink”