Cooking in advance, bringing food to the playa frozen - HELP

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
JulzQ1

Cooking in advance, bringing food to the playa frozen - HELP

Post by JulzQ1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:21 pm

I am having the hardest time with the search feature. Feel free to direct me to this topic if it already exists...

I'm looking into the possibility of cooking most of my food in advance, freezing it, and then hauling it out there. I want to make this as painless as possible. I'll probably be arriving Monday.

Should I bring all of it out on dry ice and then thaw in an ice cooler throughout the week? Or I was thinking that maybe if I just brought all of it frozen in a regular ice cooler, it would nturally thaw in the cooler as the week progressed. Who knows though, I don't have any experience in bringing food out there frozen. Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to thaw my food relatively well before I cook it so i'm not cooking chunks of ice and burning through propane.

Thanks!

phil

Post by phil » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:52 pm

You'll get tons of replies, almost all of them helpful. The problem is, some people's coolers will keep dry ice frozen for months, and some people's coolers will keep dry ice frozen for hours. Do you know which yours is?

My experience with my cooler is that I keep dry ice in one freezer without opening it, and that stays frozen for a day, two maximum. After that everything thaws in a few days.

Until you know what your coolers will do, you need a backup plan in case all your food rots.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:47 pm

There is a dry ice thread in this forum. I'd go there first. Also, a lot of people do the seal a meal thing. Are those frozen?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

JulzQ1

Post by JulzQ1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Phil- I'm needing to buy new coolers so I can buy one that's heavier duty for dry ice. Thanks for the tips.

I can't find the dry ice thread. I search and it brings up the entire list of topics. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, it's quite possible. If someone else could link me there that would be fantabulous.

The seal-a-meal looks interesting. I'm assuming it'll do frozen foods too.

JulzQ1

Post by JulzQ1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Well DUH, I found the dry ice thread right in front of my face, as a sticky thread. Don't mind me!! :P

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:48 pm

One word -- Dinty Moore.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

JulzQ1

Post by JulzQ1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:52 pm

that's two words lol...and yuck :P

Dork

Post by Dork » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 am

In my experience, even with a good 5-day cooler, frozen food will thaw within a day or two in regular ice. If what you're bringing won't keep for the entire week on ice, bring a dry ice cooler.

somekind

Post by somekind » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:25 am

Your friends will prefer the fresh cooked food.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:36 am

Dork wrote:In my experience, even with a good 5-day cooler, frozen food will thaw within a day or two in regular ice. If what you're bringing won't keep for the entire week on ice, bring a dry ice cooler.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanC ... oryID=8580
All Coleman Xtreme® coolers have extra insulation in the lid and case to provide superior cold retention, holding ice up to five days at temperatures up to 90° F. These coolers also have two-way handles, a channel drain and a hinged lid with drink holders.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:16 am

We've had frozen food near the end of the week, using only conventional ice coolers. Mostly frozen. But I would never count on that as our main food source, the few frozen meals we brought were supplemental to our main meals. There's always some dolt who can't stay out of the ice cooler looking for beer, and forgets to put our insulating cooler cozy covers back on. The trick of keeping frozen food frozen, is to stay the hell out of the cooler.

Yep, I made quilted cooler cozies.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:24 am

> All Coleman Xtreme® coolers have extra insulation in the lid and
> case to provide superior cold retention, holding ice up to five days
> at temperatures up to 90° F.

Louise and I have two, and they don't last the week. We fill one with only ice and dry ice, the other with food and ice, and we can't keep our food cool for the entire stay at Burning Man.

There are too many factors to say any cooler will maintain frozen food for a week at 90 degrees. I was talking to a woman who runs an ice house about how to keep food cool for a week, and she gave me the one true answer: surface area. If I were to buy a big block of ice, it would last all week in a cooler. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to get a week's worth of food into the cooler with the block of ice. But the answer is, the bigger the block of ice in your cooler, the longer it will last.

Another factor - problem - is that having ice in the cooler doesn't mean that food won't thaw and won't spoil.

Another issue is melt water. We've had the melt water get into frozen meat, then pool in the bottom of the cooler - talk about yuck. Bloody water in the cooler we're eating out of is not a good thing. If you have melt water, I'd suggest using something other than plastic wrap for frozen stuff. Something watertight.

As I said, you'll get tons of answers that work for whoever suggested them, but you'll need to find out what works for you. Work out your plan for frozen food, but I do suggest having a back up plan. It's nice to have Dinty Moore as an option when all your meat rotted, and the vegetables all got freezer burn from the dry ice. After you've done it a few times, you'll have it nailed and be here telling other people how to do it. :->

Seriously, I'll look forward to your suggestions next year based on your experience this year.

JulzQ1

Post by JulzQ1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:24 am

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanC ... oryID=8580
All Coleman Xtreme® coolers have extra insulation in the lid and case to provide superior cold retention, holding ice up to five days at temperatures up to 90° F. These coolers also have two-way handles, a channel drain and a hinged lid with drink holders.
I gathered these were the best coolers from the Dry Ice thread. Thanks for confirming, I think we'll buy these.

Thankfully it will just be my spouse and I digging through the coolers. With just two of us, I'm not worried about us rummaging too much.

I think we'll be going with a dry ice cooler and a regular ice cooler. After reading through the dry ice thread, I think I've got a good idea of what to do...

Things I've learned/gotten reinforced:

*Only open dry ice cooler once a day.

*Keep coolers well insulated, off the ground (duh), and out of sunlight.

*Dry ice will weigh less than regular ice, making it better for our long drive from Phoenix, AZ to the playa. It'll create less weight in the vehicle and less of a worry like - "OH SHIT, our food has defrosted before we even got there!". If need be, we can restock on dry ice in Reno (and I learned to not buy at a supermarket, it's cheaper elsewhere).

*2 smaller blocks of dry ice are better than 1 large one.

*Take 2-liter soda bottles, filled with water 3/4 of the way- freeze and put in dry ice cooler. Each morning on playa transfer the next day's meals and a new frozen 2 liter bottle to regular cooler, so food can thaw. This will keep the ice in the regular cooler frozen longer and allow for the food to thaw out.

---- I know dry ice can make things rock solid, which is good. I'm wondering if one day will be enough for it to thaw out in an ice cooler. I guess it'll be easier to figure that out once I'm out there and can see how de frosted my food is getting throughout the week.----

*Make sure we have non perishables as back up in case food goes bad.

My spouse has wheat, egg, and dairy allergies, making it a must for us to pre make home cooked meals. We can't just buy any random pre made meal at the grocery store that are cheap and looks tasty. I wish. That worked in years past pre-allergies, but now it's slim pickin's when it comes to canned and boxed goods without allergens, plus...my body does not like eating a lot of canned foods out there. My digestion is much happier with wholesome meals. :)[/quote]

JulzQ1

Post by JulzQ1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 am

phil wrote: Another factor - problem - is that having ice in the cooler doesn't mean that food won't thaw and won't spoil.

Another issue is melt water. We've had the melt water get into frozen meat, then pool in the bottom of the cooler - talk about yuck. Bloody water in the cooler we're eating out of is not a good thing. If you have melt water, I'd suggest using something other than plastic wrap for frozen stuff. Something watertight.
Very good point on the bloody water. This is the main reason I'm cooking in advance. F*k bringing raw meat out there. One year in our communal kitchen we brought out raw shrimp and ate them late in the week, thinking they were ok in the dry ice, but after people were rummaging through it all week. Stupid mistake! My spouse got violently ill the day we got back from the Burn and had to go to the ER. Never again..

I also won't be bringing out any vegetables that aren't already cooked and frozen.

I know about keeping things air tight. I've had things spoil or worse, leak in regular ice coolers as well and they created a goopy, sickly mess.

I plan on keeping all my frozen meals in rubbermaids and my ice cooler drained. In Reno, we could buy a block or two of ice as well as cubes, so it lasts longer.

Does Camp Artica sell block ice? I forgot.

Thanks again for all the replies, they're definitely helping me brainstorm. I'll post my experiences post-burn. :)

justfred

Keep it simple

Post by justfred » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 pm

"I want to make this as painless as possible."

Then just bring canned, dried, non-refrigerated foods. It's only a week, you'll survive just fine, and you will most likely eat a lot less than you'd think. Plus, people all around you will be giving away their fresh food before (well hopefully before) it goes bad. Doesn't need to be dehydrated or freeze-dried backpacking chow - just raid the canned section at your local market for fruits, veggies, meat, chili, etc. There's about a hundred different kinds of snack and cereal bars. Dried fruits. Crackers. Non-cold things marked "fully cooked - just heat and serve". MREs aren't too bad either.

It's even possible to live for a week on the desert without eating things that need to be cooked.

Minimize packaging before arrival. For canned foods, peel off the labels so you can be surprised at every meal.

This is how I've done it for years - plus a couple of frozen steaks that I have in the first day or two. Yes, Arctica sells block ice - but why not make the ice an enjoyable bonus - cold drinks - rather than an unavoidable necessity - gotta buy ice or the food goes bad.
What goes around, comes around.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:32 pm

We eat a lot of foods which only require adding boiling water. Couscous is marvelous. Protein from jerky, beans (canned) and canned meats such as tuna and chicken. I love tuna with mustard and crackers anyway.

We both have food allergies, so I know about avoiding certain things.

Tip I read somewhere to keep the cooler opening at a minimum. Hold your breath, when you need to inhale, you need to close the cooler.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:03 pm

If needed , you can buy "fresh" dry ice in Reno before you drive the last leg of the trip... 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

JulzQ1

Re: Keep it simple

Post by JulzQ1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:06 pm

justfred wrote:"I want to make this as painless as possible."

Then just bring canned, dried, non-refrigerated foods. It's only a week, you'll survive just fine, and you will most likely eat a lot less than you'd think. Plus, people all around you will be giving away their fresh food before (well hopefully before) it goes bad. Doesn't need to be dehydrated or freeze-dried backpacking chow - just raid the canned section at your local market for fruits, veggies, meat, chili, etc. There's about a hundred different kinds of snack and cereal bars. Dried fruits. Crackers. Non-cold things marked "fully cooked - just heat and serve". MREs aren't too bad either.

It's even possible to live for a week on the desert without eating things that need to be cooked.

Minimize packaging before arrival. For canned foods, peel off the labels so you can be surprised at every meal.

This is how I've done it for years - plus a couple of frozen steaks that I have in the first day or two. Yes, Arctica sells block ice - but why not make the ice an enjoyable bonus - cold drinks - rather than an unavoidable necessity - gotta buy ice or the food goes bad.
Thanks for the advice. However, I'm not trying to bring out pre packaged items to eat on the playa. Of course as back up it's necesarry but I hate eating out of cans. I don't eat pre packaged meals at home, ever, nor do I eat very many canned goods. I'm a health nut. I make everything at home. We have a strict diet, snacks are doable from the grocery store, but we both function much better with "real" meals out there.

Cooking is a passion of mine and I really don't mind cooking out there, in fact I enjoy it. I just don't enjoy prepping food in wind storms or having raw vegetables rot in cooler water. That's why I'm bringing out everything pre made. So when I said I want to make this as painless as possible, I meant as easy as it gets in regards to bringing out frozen wholesome home cooked meals. :)

chiefdanfox

cross post from dry ice sticky

Post by chiefdanfox » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:44 pm

This is my solution. In addition, we kept the ice chest in the back of an uncovered uhaul trailer. We did not go to any extremes to keep it out of the sun, but it was somewhat protected by the sides of the trailer. River bags are the gear bags that are rubberized, and you roll the top like a duffel bag, then buckle it closed. I think we replaced the ice in the river bag twice, monday to saturday. The crushed iced stayed crunchy. This was from BM2008:
We used one of those Coleman 6 day coolers with a twist:
We placed the mix of block and crushed ice (crushed to help with the fit) INSIDE of a river bag, and placed the non-crush-able food on the bottom, and stacked the rest, like eggs, around the sides of the bag. We had maybe a cup of melt water in the cooler, if combined from all week.

We never had to dump the cooler, and the food stayed cold, steaks frozen until Thursday (pre frozen at home, of course), nothing spoiled, no leaky "coleman stew" to deal with. We had another IC for beer, drinks, and we showered with the melt water from that cooler and the river bag.

peachandpapa
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: At the Oasis

Post by peachandpapa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:21 pm

We're on our 4th year of using two Frigid Rigid coolers. They are very expensive, but keep cubed ice solid for the whole week. Amazing products, but very expensive and a little heavy. They are made, primarily, for fishing boats to keep their catch fresh.
Go Forth and Tell the Story...

phil

Post by phil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:11 pm

> We're on our 4th year of using two Frigid Rigid coolers.

Do you know what size they are? The ones I've seen are way too big. I'd be interested in a more recreational size instead of commercial.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 pm

How big a cooler do you need for a couple dozen Slim Jims and a gallon of tequila?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

munney

Post by munney » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:00 pm

:!: Disposable Styraphoam cooler on the way out at a convenience store :lol:

:!: American Cheese Marshmallows, white bread, Mayo, and PBR :!:

:roll: Richard Nixon Mask & 7 costco bottles of Wild Turkey & Breathmints :!:

:!: Get a second cheap cooler, Dry Ice, Raw Chicken, Shrimp & Pork :twisted: Use Duck tape to seal this til the Burnnight and make sure your 1st aid kit is inside. :!:

:arrow: Third cooler, smaller and cheaper, put all of your chocolate & Milk products and Medications : roll:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:06 am

We used gallon jugs of water frozen, plus 2L bottles, both had drinking water in them, as the 2L melted we'd take a partially frozen one out and carry round the playa to drink. All frozen food was vacuum sealed so when we did add crushed ice to the cooler to really really really get the brewski's cold, as it melted it was clean, and we gifted that to the body rinse station across the street. We purchased a coleman extreme 6 day cooler and that one worked the best, we'll get a smaller one for this year. All coolers were off the playa upon 2x4's and covered with a silver tarp, under our shade shelter. We used the wireless indoor/outdoor thermometers to monitor cooler temps, in the morning they were approx 34 degrees on avg. and would rise about 10 deg. during the day. if you use these, make sure the sender unit in the cooler is sealed to prevent it from taking a dip in the cooler water and not working, they're not really waterproof. Before the trip put in a new battery and seal with ur vacuum sealer.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

StarShineScars

Re: Keep it simple

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:35 am

JulzQ1 wrote:
justfred wrote:"I want to make this as painless as possible."

Thanks for the advice. However, I'm not trying to bring out pre packaged items to eat on the playa. Of course as back up it's necesarry but I hate eating out of cans. I don't eat pre packaged meals at home, ever, nor do I eat very many canned goods. I'm a health nut. I make everything at home. We have a strict diet, snacks are doable from the grocery store, but we both function much better with "real" meals out there.

Cooking is a passion of mine and I really don't mind cooking out there, in fact I enjoy it. I just don't enjoy prepping food in wind storms or having raw vegetables rot in cooler water. That's why I'm bringing out everything pre made. So when I said I want to make this as painless as possible, I meant as easy as it gets in regards to bringing out frozen wholesome home cooked meals. :)

I agree. I love cooking too and made all of our meals ahead of time. First we did a trial run and cooked things, put them in the freezer for a week then reheated. You can cook, vacuum seal it and put it on dry ice. Once you get there all you need is a pot of boiling water. Cut the bag a little to vent, and boil. And yum homemade food all week. Just be sure to do what people are saying and buy a lot of dry ice. We made the mistake of not bringing enough last year and it melted a few days in. Ooh and if you do go the dry ice route pick it up at a local wholesale ice cream vendor. It's way cheaper than the grocery store.
If God had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller-skates. -Willy Wonka

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:02 am

I'm thinking of making a cooler out of 2 inch thick blue construction
foam boards. Has anyone done this ?

If sealed well on the edges it would be way better than the best
cooler you could buy. Likely to be a lot cheaper than a cooler-
note to self: will check the price of 2 inch foam insulation boards
today at Home Despot.

The cuts would have to be very even- better than a knife cut.
Probably use a hot wire like done at my work. It would collapse
like a stack of cards for easy storage.
crash & burn ski lessons given

gypsy68
Burning Since: 2004

Post by gypsy68 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:21 pm

I usually freeze the gallon jugs of water. I like the ones that are more of a square shape. Once they are frozen I can lay 3 of them across the bottom of my ice chest. I then can just pull out a gallon for that days use. It works really well. ( I usually have a couple of ice chest so I take about 6 gallons for drinking/cooking with - this is just for 1 person)

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi, I understand the Yeti coolers are comparable to Frigid Rigid & less expensive. I used a coleman extream with 2 gallon jugs of water frozen for ice. they did "ok". I did have to add ice after 4 days & they are not air tight. after last years dust storm, I found dust inside the coolers.
don't forget to floss

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Boijoy wrote:Hi, I understand the Yeti coolers are comparable to Frigid Rigid & less expensive. I used a coleman extream with 2 gallon jugs of water frozen for ice. they did "ok". I did have to add ice after 4 days & they are not air tight. after last years dust storm, I found dust inside the coolers.
Ouch! 85 qt yeti cooler bout the same size as our coleman extreme is 390$ :shock:

I'll put up with any dust, though we had none as we also covered with tarpage
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Yeah.. I know. I'm still kicking around buying one. Really it is only ONE trip to the ice sales... & that does suck ... but 350.00 ?? Did you chek the price of Frigid Rigid though??? sheesh !!
don't forget to floss

Return to “Food & Drink”