Water from the East?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Post Reply
User avatar
kewltrips
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Water from the East?

Post by kewltrips » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:34 am

:?: Alright i've read all about where to buy water in Reno, But i'm driveing in from KS so i need a place to fill my water supply comeing from that direction. I don't want to drive to reno first then to BM too many extra miles. So what would be the closest town\city that will sell me water and where do i get it? Any help would be much appreciated. :?:

Dustdevil
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:10 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers
Location: West Oakland
Contact:

Post by Dustdevil » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:57 pm

On Interstate 80 the two largest towns before the turn-off to head North would be Winnemuca or Lovelock. However, Sparks/Reno is only about 35 miles further (70 roundtrip) from you turn off point. A drop in the bucket from 1900+ miles you will be driving.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:40 pm

Take a good look at your map. I would go the Reno way. I drive some of those country roads.. They are not maintained.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

User avatar
III
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:14 pm

Post by III » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:24 pm

>>good look at your map.

would show that reno's a good 100 miles out of the way.

check fallon, i think that''s the nearest big city to the east off of 80.

if you've got containers, you might be able to fill them at the truck stop in fernely (which is also the cheapest gas you'll find before you head up 447)
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

User avatar
kewltrips
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Post by kewltrips » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:10 pm

Alright sounds like what i needed to know. Yea I'm bringing along my own water containers, also i'm not one to be real picky about the water i drink long as it's wet, over purified 2ppm water is for people who have noting better to worrie about. Truck stop water suits me fine. Thanx for the intel III.

User avatar
Dr. Pyro
Posts: 4715
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro
Location: Meadow Vista, CA
Contact:

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:48 am

Also if you're just talking about one or two people for (let's say) seven days, that's only 30 gallons of water, give or take. Whether or not you have your own containers, it still would be cheaper to buy it in Fernley than to go to Reno. My $.02 worth.

The Doc

User avatar
ronski
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:07 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by ronski » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:13 pm

kewltrips wrote: i'm not one to be real picky about the water i drink long as it's wet.
You might want to reconsider this. Nevada tap water is pretty nasty; lots of minerals. The biggest mistake (other than not bringing a bike) for me last summer was in filling my containers for free from a store in Winnemucca. I regretted this every time I took a gulp. At least for the drinking supply I'd highly recommend buying purified water.

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

Water from the East?

Post by Icepack » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:56 pm

I hear you! Last year we drove from Massachusetts and took a detour to Las Vegas and Reno because we had extra time. We bought our water in Reno, from the Burner friendly guy at Water Mart. We brought our own containers of course. This year time will be tighter, a lot tighter. We do plan to spend a night in Winnemucca at the lovely Quality Inn they have there. There is a grocery store across the street where we met some other burners last year on our way home. We didn't really check out the water situation or the Walmart though. We stopped at Fernley to get rid of our trash before we got to Winnemucca, but I didn't notice any water stores. The closer to Burningman that we get our water, the better. The weight of the water causes extra wear and tear on the car's shocks etc so the less time we travel with the extra weight the better. Any directions to water sellers in Winnemucca or Fernley would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Bob A
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: Springfield, Mass

Re: Water from the East?

Post by Bob A » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:50 pm

Icepack wrote:I hear you! Last year we drove from Massachusetts
Icepack,

This isn't completly on topic But I'm driving in from Springfield, Mass. this year and its my first time out to Black rock. How long did the drive take you? did you drive in shifts around the clock or stop to sleep every day.

I'm going out by myself and I'm just tring to figure how many days to give myself, don't want to miss anything and figure out how much food water etc to plan for the trips out and back.

thanks

Bob A

robotland
Posts: 3778
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:29 am
Location: Kalamazoo

Post by robotland » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:33 am

Hey, Bob A! Kamp Kalamazoo drove out last year, from, you guessed it, Kalamazoo- lower lefthand corner of Michigan's Mighty Mitten- We're a day closer to BRC, and by the map it was about 2100 miles or "31 hours" ...There were THREE of us, and we still took two and a half days to get there. Assuming you'll be coming out I-80, you'll make okay time through the rustbelt and out onto the plains, but then the Big Empties start to suck at your brain....Then you get into Six Degree Slopeland, where your hillclimbing skills will be challenged. We're all in that Extremely Late Youth agegroup, (40, in my case) so maybe we need more naps and regular motel stays, but we were at least PRETENDING to be intrepid adventurers....Long in short, it's a plenty long drive, especially solo. You'll be passing through a lot of places where there are regional contacts and the possibility of picking up another driver, or at least a passenger to help keep you awake and share the road costs. I'd be damn proud of myself for haulin' 9/10 of the way across the US by my lonesome, but mighty embarassed to end up a DOT statistic........
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

driving from Massachusetts

Post by Icepack » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:39 am

Bob, I sent you a private note too. But this is different.

We did some testing and from Massachusetts, the best way seems to be to drive West out on the Mass Pike (I-90) and then stay on I-90 through New York State and onward until it joins up with I-80. Take I-80 all the way to Nevada. It is a bit boring going through the midwest states and all the soy fields etc, but there are several Flying J's plazas along the route and they have good food, cheap gas, and will let you park in their lot to doze off for a few hours. They also seem to have the best rest rooms of anywhere we've seen so far. Definitely a good pit stop. In Ohio, if you feel the need to stop there, a great restaurant called Mr. C's is right across the street from the Flying J's on the exit, and there are also a few hotels at that stop as well. Going through Chicago, Cleveland, and Gary are all a bit tricky for the driver but just stay awake and be alert and you'll make it. We found Chicago to be a parking lot in both directions.

Wyoming has some nice scenery in my opinion, and a few places to stop and feel the wind on your face and feel the vastness of the land. But make sure you get gas when you can because some of the stops are far apart. We almost ran out on one particular stretch of rangeland that went a bit further than I thought it would.

In Western Nebraska I recommend stopping at Cabela's for the fun of it. Hotels there are expensive ($75 and up) but it's a great outdoor store and you get to feed the ducks.

Winnemucca, Nevada makes a great stop before or after the event. We hit a hotel (Quality Inn) after we left and showered several times to get the playa dust out of our hair. The restaurant was decent, and the grocery store across the street was useful for getting provisions for the trip home. There was also a Flying J's for gas as well.

With 2 drivers, we were able to stop once for Cabelas, and then drive on to Nevada and stop again for a night right before heading to Burningman. One driver was very good at being able to sleep in the car during the day, which was a big help. The other driver (myself) couldn't quite adapt the sleep schedule quite so easily. I did most of the daytime/evening driving and the other driver did most of the overnight driving. We were pretty tired when we got to Nevada, but a good night's sleep was all we needed to gear up for the playa.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

robotland
Posts: 3778
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:29 am
Location: Kalamazoo

Post by robotland » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:59 am

Don't forget to take a snapshot of a Kum 'n Go store to show the folks back home! (we thought it was a joke until we saw several of 'em.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Bob A
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: Springfield, Mass

Post by Bob A » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:52 pm

Thanks for all the great info. Icepack and Robotland

That gives me some great ideas of what to expect etc. I havn 't decided yet if I'm going to head out alone or caravan out with other people. Of course if someone needs a ride out , I would do the burnerly thing and give them a ride, and that might be the best option of all.

But I love driving and will be pulling a small camp trailer so stopping and resting won't be an issue or a cost. But now having a general idea of places I can crash(sleep not the bad kind of crash) and general time it took other people from out here I can continue the master plan. Wha ha ha ha ha. ( sinister laugh inserted here)

Bob A

User avatar
BlueBirdPoof
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:44 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by BlueBirdPoof » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:17 pm

robotland wrote:Don't forget to take a snapshot of a Kum 'n Go store to show the folks back home!
OOOOooooooooh, I want copies. (it would go so nice with my Glory Hole Center photo.)

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

driving from Springfield, MA

Post by Icepack » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:09 pm

Bob A wrote:Thanks for all the great info. Icepack and Robotland

That gives me some great ideas of what to expect etc. I havn 't decided yet if I'm going to head out alone or caravan out with other people. Of course if someone needs a ride out , I would do the burnerly thing and give them a ride, and that might be the best option of all.

But I love driving and will be pulling a small camp trailer so stopping and resting won't be an issue or a cost. But now having a general idea of places I can crash(sleep not the bad kind of crash) and general time it took other people from out here I can continue the master plan. Wha ha ha ha ha. ( sinister laugh inserted here)

Bob A
OOHH! I'm jealous. You have a camp trailer! What will you be driving? Will you be alone? I love driving too but sleeping in the passenger seat will wear on you. I'd really like to have our own portapotty this year, and was thinking of getting a camp trailer, but the idea of towing a trailer through Cleveland scares me. I've never towed anything before. I'd need some time to get used to it.

Met a guy from South Hadley, MA that was going out in 2002. Still have his email address (if it hasn't changed). May try to hook up with him. Maybe we can get a Western Massachusetts thing going- if not for the drive out, maybe for camping at Burning Man or to meet in Winnemucca or Reno before hitting the playa.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Bob A
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: Springfield, Mass

Re: driving from Springfield, MA

Post by Bob A » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:25 pm

Icepack wrote: towing a trailer through Cleveland scares me.
What makes Clevland so scarry? I was mor concerned about the long straight stretches with no sholders.

No porta-potty on board will still need to stop for that and wait in the great sani-can lines once at BRC (that's were you meet people right, waiting for the bathroom?)

No A/C in the trailer either. I'm hoping to get the propane powered fridge working(its ancient) and I'm planning on adding some solar cells, because its fun and can run lots of pretty lights with no noise, love cool neon.

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

Re: driving from Springfield, MA

Post by Icepack » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:37 pm

Bob A wrote:
Icepack wrote: towing a trailer through Cleveland scares me.
What makes Clevland so scarry? I was mor concerned about the long straight stretches with no sholders.

No porta-potty on board will still need to stop for that and wait in the great sani-can lines once at BRC (that's were you meet people right, waiting for the bathroom?)

No A/C in the trailer either. I'm hoping to get the propane powered fridge working(its ancient) and I'm planning on adding some solar cells, because its fun and can run lots of pretty lights with no noise, love cool neon.
I think it was Cleveland that was very curvy and crazy to drive through. Traffic coming and going from both sides of the highway, corners and tunnels and ups and downs as the highway is elevated over and under other roads etc. It's also somewhere around there that you switch from I-90 to I-80 I think, although not in Cleveland exactly. I'd have to double-check that though.

I'm thinking we may purchase one of those camping portapotty things. I've heard that the portapotties get pretty nasty by Friday and Saturday night. Sure, they are emptied a lot, but it still gets gross.

I think you'll be okay without air conditioning. But then again, I never get too hot. Humidity is low out there and there's often a breeze. At night it cools down and is pretty comfortable. Solar lights and other things are fun!

Another option would be to hook up with someone, like a theme camp or other large camp, that is renting a diesel generator. Chip in a few bucks to help cover the costs and they should let you run a heavy duty extension cord into their system to connect. For a lot of solar-type ideas, check out the folks with Alternative Energy Zone or Hushville. They have lots of ideas about how to have power from the sun and wind and all.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Bob A
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: Springfield, Mass

Re: driving from Springfield, MA

Post by Bob A » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:19 pm

Icepack wrote: I'm thinking we may purchase one of those camping portapotty things. I've heard that the portapotties get pretty nasty by Friday and Saturday night. Sure, they are emptied a lot, but it still gets gross.
Yea I thought about one of those but didn't want to deal with mess and cleaning or pumping. So following some one elses sugestion on the board I'm going to buy one of those buckets and seat lids
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
and use that for night time emergency's (#1 only hopefully) and then (as long as you don't add any water) you can pour it into the porta pottie the next morning.
Icepack wrote:I think you'll be okay without air conditioning. But then again, I never get too hot. Humidity is low out there and there's often a breeze. At night it cools down and is pretty comfortable. Solar lights and other things are fun!
Yea I only mention the no a/c so no one thinks I'm one of those people who stay in the rv with a/c all day.
Icepack wrote: Another option would be to hook up with someone, like a theme camp or other large camp, that is renting a diesel generator. Chip in a few bucks to help cover the costs and they should let you run a heavy duty extension cord into their system to connect. For a lot of solar-type ideas, check out the folks with Alternative Energy Zone or Hushville. They have lots of ideas about how to have power from the sun and wind and all.
Yea I've looked at AEZ and Hushville although I think hushville may be a little too quiet for me. But got more ideas from both.

Ok so as to stay on topic. I plan on bringing mostly empty water containers out west and filling them up when I get close. Just bringing enough water for my needs getting out there so as not to pull extra wait. plus saving more room for beer wine and margarittas.

Bob A

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

Re: driving from Springfield, MA

Post by Icepack » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:35 pm

Bob A wrote:
Icepack wrote: I'm thinking we may purchase one of those camping portapotty things. I've heard that the portapotties get pretty nasty by Friday and Saturday night. Sure, they are emptied a lot, but it still gets gross.
Yea I thought about one of those but didn't want to deal with mess and cleaning or pumping. So following some one elses sugestion on the board I'm going to buy one of those buckets and seat lids
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
and use that for night time emergency's (#1 only hopefully) and then (as long as you don't add any water) you can pour it into the porta pottie the next morning.
Icepack wrote:I think you'll be okay without air conditioning. But then again, I never get too hot. Humidity is low out there and there's often a breeze. At night it cools down and is pretty comfortable. Solar lights and other things are fun!
Yea I only mention the no a/c so no one thinks I'm one of those people who stay in the rv with a/c all day.
Icepack wrote: Another option would be to hook up with someone, like a theme camp or other large camp, that is renting a diesel generator. Chip in a few bucks to help cover the costs and they should let you run a heavy duty extension cord into their system to connect. For a lot of solar-type ideas, check out the folks with Alternative Energy Zone or Hushville. They have lots of ideas about how to have power from the sun and wind and all.
Yea I've looked at AEZ and Hushville although I think hushville may be a little too quiet for me. But got more ideas from both.

Ok so as to stay on topic. I plan on bringing mostly empty water containers out west and filling them up when I get close. Just bringing enough water for my needs getting out there so as not to pull extra wait. plus saving more room for beer wine and margarittas.

Bob A
We had one of those buckets and seat lids last year. Used it to get rid of some of our trash but never used it for a portapotty. We had 3 buckets and still have 1 left with the spill-proof lid and the toilet seat. Took the trashed ones to the Fernley Transfer station when we left. You should be able to buy one from Gleason's Camping Supply in Northampton, MA or from Sportsman's Guide or we could sell you ours.
I don't think you'll need to carry much water for the drive out. I found myself buying water and caffinated beverages for the drive out as we went along. We also stopped at Flying J's plaza for meals at least once a day to try to eat well, figuring we wouldn't eat much on the playa. We waited until we got to Reno to buy our booze too. And a last stop at the Empire store allowed us to get Dorito Corn Chips and a few other last minute supplies.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but we decided against A2Z because it started to sound too activist and somewhat .. commercialized is the wrong word for it but grassroots-mainstream. There was an organized for-profit or non-profit group that wanted to join the camp last year and I wasn't interested in that type of group myself. Hushville was camped near Kidsville last year I think, so although they were quiet, the neighborhood wasn't completely quiet. I'm not up for 24-7 techno myself but there is definitely a lot of room in between Hushville and the extremes. We camped with Solo Collective last year, which turned out to be a huge village of over 250 people or something like that. Unfortunately it sounds like it is scattering in different directions for 2004. I'm sure the mini-camps that were part of the village will materialize in some forms in some places, but I don't think it will be Collective that it was before.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

Back on topic-- Water in Winnemucca?

Post by Icepack » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:39 pm

So for those of you coming in from the East, is there anywhere to buy water in Winnemucca? We have our own containers to fill. Last year we bought water at Water Mart in Reno, but would like to avoid Reno this year if we can. I wasn't a big fan of the city, and Winnemucca was way nicer! We stayed at the Model T Hotel Casino on the way home, and it was such a sweet place to stay, I want to go back! There was an Albertson's grocery store across the street, and a Flying J's next to I-80. Other than that, I didn't see too much of the town.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Bob A
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: Springfield, Mass

Re: driving from Springfield, MA

Post by Bob A » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:06 pm

Icepack wrote: I'm not up for 24-7 techno myself but there is definitely a lot of room in between Hushville and the extremes.
That's were I want to be someplace in the middle. not quiet and not stuff ear plugs in your ears and then knock yourself out with a frying pan to get some sleep. Although I have already bought a box of ear plugs to gift and let me sleep.

I thought of solo early on in my readings, but alas I too saw that they seem to have folded this year, at least in the present incarnation.

bob A

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

Noise

Post by Icepack » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:49 pm

Bob A wrote:
Icepack wrote: I'm not up for 24-7 techno myself but there is definitely a lot of room in between Hushville and the extremes.
That's were I want to be someplace in the middle. not quiet and not stuff ear plugs in your ears and then knock yourself out with a frying pan to get some sleep. Although I have already bought a box of ear plugs to gift and let me sleep.

I thought of solo early on in my readings, but alas I too saw that they seem to have folded this year, at least in the present incarnation.

bob A
Someplace in the middle is actually a pretty good way to describe where you want to be. The loudest camps are going to be at the 2pm and 10pm ends of the map. Things around 6pm are theoretically going to be quietest. Solo was around 6:30-7pm last year. Pretty quiet but people left the camp to find the noise and then stumbled back home when they were ready for more quiet chillings.
I found I didn't need earplugs. Just stayed awake until I was completely exhausted and then slept until it got too hot in the tent to sleep any more.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

User avatar
68barracuda
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:54 pm
Location: In the Center of Capitalist America

Post by 68barracuda » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:16 pm

Bob A,

Be careful with those old propane fridges. My exgirlfriend's neighbor had one go off in a camper insert on his 80's Chevy truck and it burned the camper and truck up right in his driveway. The fault ended up being a faulty safety valve on the fridge. I was on my way down the road they live off of when it went off and I thought an airplane had crashed because of the explosion and smoke. There is a small airport within two miles of their house.

Barracuda
Unless you push your limits how will you ever know where they are?

welcome to my lair.. said the spider to the fly...

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

refrigerators

Post by Icepack » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:42 am

68barracuda wrote:Bob A,

Be careful with those old propane fridges. My exgirlfriend's neighbor had one go off in a camper insert on his 80's Chevy truck and it burned the camper and truck up right in his driveway. The fault ended up being a faulty safety valve on the fridge. I was on my way down the road they live off of when it went off and I thought an airplane had crashed because of the explosion and smoke. There is a small airport within two miles of their house.

Barracuda
I was referring to the electric ones that get hooked up to generators. So no worries.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Icepack
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Black Rock City
Contact:

Where to buy Water East of Reno??

Post by Icepack » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:40 pm

So digging up an old thread here, looks like an answer was never found. There are so many people who do drive from the East, there must be an answer... Where can we buy water on I-80 East of Reno? Is there somewhee in Winnemucca, or Elko, or Battle Mountain? We have our own containers and are looking for a place to fill them up. Would like to find a place that actually SELLS it, so we can be reasonably assured of the quality. There is so much information posted about Reno, but I think having to go to Reno just for water seems ridiculous. It is out of our way, and a waste of time and gas. So, please... dear experienced Burners, what is the answer?
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

User avatar
Piper
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Reno
Contact:

Post by Piper » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:57 pm

Two Ideas here one is simple, I googled mucca on the web and there was the town site. Here is the URL for food and beer


http://www.winnemucca.nv.us/winnemucca/ ... z&param=15

From there you can get to the rest of the businesses and give them a call, see if they have water for your containers, or just pre pakaged stuff. ;)

Next make a deal with some one here in Reno. I drove out to the gate and back 2 or 3 times before I went out to stay this year, some one else might be doing it this year. You could meet them at Wadsworth and transfer water. This year I plan to go out early and help set up some things, But I have to Teach on Monday(1st day of School) and will not go out until Wednesday after noon
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP

Post Reply

Return to “Food & Drink”