coffee

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Re: coffee

Postby bm_cricket » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Rommel wrote:1. Buy a large unbreakable French press.

I believe I purchased one from Cost Plus that was made from stainless steel and cost something around $39. It's more expensive than the glass ones but they won't break. Unless you try putting them on stoves......

They are thermally insulated so they also keep it hot for longer. Which is further reason why you shouldn't try putting them on stoves......

Just pretend it's a normal french press. Do normal french press things to it. :-)

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:38 pm

to your specific questions, to the best of my fading memory:
Is it decent? Yeah, it's ok. Nothing to shout about
Can you get it 24/7. Yep, according to this http://www.burningman.com/participate/cafe_coffee_shop.html
How much is the coffee? As I remember it was $3 in '07 - less for drip more for espresso drinks
How much coffee? I think most cups were 16 oz
Refills? Don't think so.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 pm

In the interest of convenience and MOOP reduction, I think I will settle for a big ziplock bag of instant.

gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 pm

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:59 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:In the interest of convenience and MOOP reduction, I think I will settle for a big ziplock bag of instant.

N'duh, I had the SAME thought this morning (as I made instant coffee with pre-made coffee - what...the coffee here at work is terrible)!

No need to pack an extra coffee implement, no coffee implement to wash, and no moopy grounds to deal with.

Oh, and have you ever set powdered creamer on fire? It's neat.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 am

C.f.M. wrote:Oh, and have you ever set powdered creamer on fire? It's neat.

I'll bring extra. :D

Sail Man
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:18 pm

unjonharley wrote:
sputnik wrote:I really need to give Tom and crew a shout before heading out, he doesn't live too far from me. I met them on the plane on the way to my first burn in 04. Great people, but they're going to be too far from me for coffee I think.

Rudy2 emailed me. They will be on the playa this year.

Trouble is: only one Mi. outfit will be alowed on the playa this year. Poor spudnik is out in the cold.

Heh heh heh, theres too many of ur for you to try and stop us muah hah hah hahhhhhh :twisted:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Sail Man
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Boijoy wrote:Just do what I did last year. find the closest camp w/ coffee brewing & statnd there with an empty cup and whine. Tears help also. You will get a nice cup of coffee every morning. Oh and if Ohio from Hushville is reading this.. THANKS ! for some of the hottiest fucking coffee EVER to burn my mouth !! :)

LOL ur such a sweet potato :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

JulzQ1

Postby JulzQ1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:29 am

Call me a coffee snob but I'd way rather drink tea than instant coffee. Instant really shouldn't even be allowed to call itself coffee. BLECH!!!

Nescafe is the cappuccino of overseas, and I had my fair share of it traveling. No thanks. I think I'm burned out. :P

I brought out my plastic french press last time I went, but ended up not using it for myself. I did however end up gifting my bag of coffee to my neighbors and brewing up some for them. They loved it. I'm definitely bringing it out this year and using it for myself.

C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:41 am

Instant's not so bad - I mean, when its that or water...I just make it 2 or 3 times stronger than the directions call for.

swampdog
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby swampdog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm

re: coffee prices @ center camp:

(yes, the kentucky fried bacon is a joke)

Absolut Jeenyus

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Ahhh breakfast anyone?

-AJ )'(

LEVLHED

Postby LEVLHED » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm

do it all. make your own, instant and french press. and go buy some at CC too!

We plan to bring out two full-on espresso machines this year. And I've got a nice stainless steel unamerican press. And while agree that instant generally isn't an option, I was turned onto this instant espresso and have to say it is actually good! For real, I know what you're thinking "instant espresso? no thank you!" But I'm a Finn/Yooper with coffee in my veins that owns his own espresso machine, and it passes my quality standards.
I've found it in some coffee shops.

Brand is Medaglia D'oro
http://www.medagliadoro.com/products.htm#products03
2004 & 2009 & 2011

LEVLHED

Postby LEVLHED » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 pm

oops double posted

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:02 am

had to post this. Brunton makes a stand alone coffee maker that runs off either butane or propane canisters. insulated metal carafe.
price is high... way high. ah well. It's nice to see a new wrinkle.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:27 am

after a little research. this brunton item not well reviewed for quality... and price has dropped under 90 dollars. Brunton's site listed 160? caveat emptor (sp?)

Fire_Moose

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:36 am

I remember someone posting about a method where you make some strong coffee, then boil it for a while until the water is gone, and you end up with some concentrated coffee syrup...er something. anyone know where i can find this procedure....and you just add water back in or what?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:50 am

http://www.autocrat.com/cart/index.cfm? ... 2&SetCat=1
http://www.autocrat.com/cart/index.cfm? ... 3&SetCat=1

You make your own kahlua by making coffee syrup first.

Just give me a coffee cab and a linguica sandwich.

LittleJack
Camp Name: Hushville

Bialetti

Postby LittleJack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 am

I also take my coffee fairly seriously, and not just for its life-giving properties. I personally find the ritual of making coffee to be incredibly soothing, grounding (pun intended) and centering.

I've experimented with a number of different methods, but the one I've found that's the most durable and makes the best cuppa is the Bialetti. I just dump the grounds into my damp trash, and have had no MOOP issues at all. I use a small one, but they come in a number of sizes.

phil

Postby phil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 am

> most durable and makes the best cuppa is the Bialetti.

How long does it take? Louise and I make coffee by boiling water, then running it through our Melitta filter into a big thermos. It takes almost as long to drip through as it does to boil the water. I'd be interested in speeding the whole process up.

Specifically, how long between putting the stuff together and on the stove till you're pouring coffee into your coffee cup?

The other issue is that our pot for boiling water holds about a half a gallon. The Bialetti web site thinks a cup is a paltry 1.5 oz when they quote a 12-cup maker. We don't drink from espresso cups, we use manly mugs that hold 8 ounces.

We're satisfied with the quality of our coffee as well as the quantity. I'd just like to speed it up. A lot.

swamp monster

Postby swamp monster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Bustelo also makes an instant coffee, great for backpacking.

bm_cricket

Postby bm_cricket » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 pm

phil wrote:> most durable and makes the best cuppa is the Bialetti.

How long does it take? Louise and I make coffee by boiling water, then running it through our Melitta filter into a big thermos. It takes almost as long to drip through as it does to boil the water. I'd be interested in speeding the whole process up.

Specifically, how long between putting the stuff together and on the stove till you're pouring coffee into your coffee cup?

The other issue is that our pot for boiling water holds about a half a gallon. The Bialetti web site thinks a cup is a paltry 1.5 oz when they quote a 12-cup maker. We don't drink from espresso cups, we use manly mugs that hold 8 ounces.

We're satisfied with the quality of our coffee as well as the quantity. I'd just like to speed it up. A lot.

There are a lot of crappy knock-offs if you live near China Town in LA. Also, I warn you that most of the ones on Ebay look like cheep copies too. The real ones are quite nice, especially the fancy ones that make Late. There are so many of them that you can get them used for next to nothing. A warning, make sure you store it dry or it will taste like crap for a month!

Personally at home I swear by either http://www.surlatable.com/product/coffee+%26+tea/espresso+%26+cappuccino/stainless+steel+stovetop+espresso+pot%2C+6+cup+++.do?sortby=ourPicks or something akin to http://www.surlatable.com/product/coffee+%26+tea/french+presses/bodum+thermal+coffee+press.do?sortby=ourPicks

My french press is another brand but it's stainless steel and nearly indestructible. Just for gods sake don't buy it from Sur La Table, they are both great items but you can find them for a lot less if you look around.

When I'm on the playa I'm still a coffee hound but my camp has someone who ships a few hundred pounds of his own plantation's Kona Coffee. He gives it away as fast as he can brew it for about an hour every morning. :-)

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm

8 easy steps for coffee yum yums on the Playa.

1. Fire up the generator.
2. Fill Mr. Coffee with bottled water.
3. Measure out appropriate amount of fresh roasted coffee goodness into grinder.
4. Grind magic beans to magic powder.
5. Put magic powder into filter basket.
6 Insert filter basket into Mr. Coffee.
7. Press power button.
8. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... heaven in a cup.

bm_cricket

Postby bm_cricket » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 pm

CapSmashy wrote:8 easy steps for coffee yum yums on the Playa.

3. Measure out appropriate amount of fresh roasted coffee goodness into grinder.
7. Press power button.

I feel that this process could me made simpler but I can't put my finger on exactly how.... Hmmm...

C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 pm

ragabashpup

Postby ragabashpup » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 pm

bm_cricket wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:8 easy steps for coffee yum yums on the Playa.

7. Press power button.

I feel that this process could me made simpler but I can't put my finger on exactly how.... Hmmm...

Grab coffee beans/grounds chew, swallow, repeat? Who needs to add any wussy water to it.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.

LittleJack
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby LittleJack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 pm

phil wrote:> most durable and makes the best cuppa is the Bialetti.

As fast as boiling the water, 5-10 minutes. As far as cup size, this thing makes pretty damned strong (read: perfect) coffee.

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:28 pm

bm_cricket wrote:

Coffee is one area that does not receive a short cut.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:35 pm

To speed heating on camp stoves.. Surrond with a (roofing) valley metal.. Keeps the heat going up.. For heating water use a tea kettle.. I have a 16 oz kettle just right for one good cup'a

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I've been drinking those starfucks instant coffee thingies at work lately, and they're pretty good. They sell them at costco. I'm far from a coffee snob though, so YMMV :)

If you're into ready to drink coffee-in-a-can they have tons of it at japanese and chinese grocery stores for really cheap, at least down here in So Cal...

Return to “Food & Drink”