Bugs....and Bacon?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
manydaze84

Bugs....and Bacon?

Post by manydaze84 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Dear Friends
Im going to attend Burning Man for the first time this year! So excited! But can someone please tell me
a) Is there bugs out there? I have a serious fear of insects especially the large, many-legged variety. Please note Im from a sub-arctic climate (currently its -16 c or 3 degrees Farenheit - no bugs:) ) so when I say Large I mean bigger than a coin. I visited Las Vegas Nevada before and was terrified by the giant cockroaches in the city, but more still by the scorpions and tarantulas I saw while quadding in the desert near Las Vegas. If there are bugs in BRC do you have any advice about keeping them out of my tent/where they like to hang out, so I can NOT put my hands or feet there?
and
b) What is with the bacon thing I keep hearing about at Burning Man? Is this an inside joke or do people just really love bacon a lot? Should I bring some Canadian bacon to share with you?

Love, Lacey

SnowBlind

Re: Bugs....and Bacon?

Post by SnowBlind » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:14 pm

manydaze84 wrote:Is there bugs out there? I have a serious fear of insects especially the large, many-legged variety.
Lucky for us, the bugs are too smart to hang out in a place that hostile!

Seriously though, there are almost no insects there. The playa *is* an inhospitable place for life. Sometimes I've seen a bug or two, but my guess is participants have brought them in accidentally.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:54 am

Yes bring the bacon...I didn't understand the love for bacon either until I could smell it cooking in the morning and hadn't brought any. It smelled soooooooo good, but I had also forgotten to bring my bbq/firepit so I was sol anyways.

Bugs-you will find a lot more bugs in other parts of Nevada. The playa is really barren and dry during the summer. I saw like a tiny flea or two but that was it. Didn't even see a mosquito and you can usually find those just about everywhere.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:06 am

They've got bugs the size of trucks out there!

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:33 am

If you're scared of a bug, how the ef are you going to deal with camping in the middle of the desert and being dirty for a week straight? Just sayin..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 am

junglesmacks wrote:If you're scared of a bug, how the ef are you going to deal with camping in the middle of the desert and being dirty for a week straight? Just sayin..
One does not preclude the other.

I saw a couple wasps or bees one year, but usually there are no bugs.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:35 am

I just had visions..

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:36 am

Seriously...there are much, much more frightening and life-threatening things to be scared of out there.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:50 am

hippies
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 am

Lacey, bring any bacon you have to MASH 4207
It's going to be alright.

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 am

C.f.M. wrote:Seriously...there are much, much more frightening and life-threatening things to be scared of out there.
Yeah, those hoopsnakes are nasty.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:28 am

The only bugs that don't hitch a ride from other burners, are dragonflies, from the nearby hot springs. No snakes, scorpions....anything like that, but a lot of dirty fucking hippies.

Bacon just is the perfect playa food. I was handed a strip on my way back from center camp, and I was good for the day. Canadian bacon sounds great!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:53 am

Hey hey hey now, let us not forget about the worms

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

lucky.bastard

Post by lucky.bastard » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am

don't hug the wookies
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "

phil

Gotta watch out for bacon thieves

Post by phil » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Someone stole our bacon in 2010:

[youtube][/youtube]

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Lacey, you will have trouble crossing the border with that miserable excuse Canadian Bacon.

Take it out of the cooler/fridge and hide it somewhere else if you must bring that pathetic ham Canadian bacon with you.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Aiee! It burns!

Post by Aiee! It burns! » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 pm

each has its unique flavour .

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 pm

The only bug I ever remember seeing out there was a beautiful green praying mantis in 2000 or 2001; a stowaway on a Penske truck, & the mantis asked me where it could score some weed, and I said "SIR, THAT IS ILLEGAL" and he looked pissed and flew off.

Bacon is extra good out on the playa because it's fatty and salty in an atmosphere where you will be losing both fat and salt, due to the heat . . . and because unless pre-cooked, it takes a little effort to keep it cold & then cook it, making it special.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Savannah wrote:The only bug I ever remember seeing out there was a beautiful green praying mantis in 2000 or 2001; a stowaway on a Penske truck, & the mantis asked me where it could score some weed, and I said "SIR, THAT IS ILLEGAL" and he looked pissed and flew off.

Bacon is extra good out on the playa because it's fatty and salty in an atmosphere where you will be losing both fat and salt, due to the heat . . . and because unless pre-cooked, it takes a little effort to keep it cold & then cook it, making it special.
Oh yeah...saw praying mantis out there! I think Washoe County Sherrifs bring them in.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

phil

Spider bite

Post by phil » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Obligatory link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/21001341/

You bring some buts with you.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:29 pm

I came real close to bringing a nest of black widows with us. We had on old vinyl and wood frame couch on our back porch. I thought it would be great to bring and planned to toss it after burningman . So as my daughter and I were dragging it out to the rental truck a bunch of little spiders start crawling out of it. My daughter starts freaking because she is really scared of spideys. I kept telling her "oh stop, they're just daddy long legs." I smash a bunch of them with my sandal and my hands.
She convinces me to at least hose the damn couch off. So I get the hose and am blasting the back of it off and out pour a bunch more of these little spiders...and then mama came running out!! Screaming/running women abound.

Needless to say we did not take the couch to the playa. I had enough trouble getting my daughter to help drag the couch up to the curb for the garbage men...

manydaze84

many thanks for your answers

Post by manydaze84 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:42 pm

wow everyone i was so relieved to not read, look out for giant centipedes and scorpions!
But I have another question about the bacon??? is it so hot out there, that you can like cook stuff on tinfoil during the day? i've always wanted to do that.

junglesmacks & C.f.M.

Yeah....i know its illogical. But their so gross! Too many legs! not enough not-legs! but im not gonna let it stop me from doing anything - its just easier if i know what to expect.

sputnik
OK! well if customs doesnt give birth to kittens over it. i cant see why they would have a problem with a cooler full of bacon. i seem to suspect they'd be unhappier if it was tofu! lol

PHIL -I WOULD NEVER STEAL YOUR BACON. those people are @#$%^$%^#$%#$%#$% . and then they just wasted it.
in canada we have to use grizzly proof food storage but it would probably outsmart the average hippie.

-oneeyeddick
do you really think they wont like the bacon crossing the border? i cant see why it would be frowned upon. more importantly though how can you not find cdn bacon superior? the other bacon is just pure fat and salt. in the good spirit of burning man though, ill forgive you and share my wonderful peameal maple real canadian bacon with you. ill even let you make canadian jokes and not get mad.

lucky 420- im glad you and your family didnt die via black widow poison last year. please dont bring any black widows with you this year. thats sick.

junglesmacks

Re: many thanks for your answers

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:47 am

manydaze84 wrote: is it so hot out there, that you can like cook stuff on tinfoil during the day? i've always wanted to do that.
It depends on what your definition of "hot" is. Living in FL and being from various tropical places in the world, it was fine and in fact not even as hot as FL in the summer. In fact, it was a nice break from the heat to go out there! Definitely not bacon cooking hot.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: many thanks for your answers

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:35 am

manydaze84 wrote:wow everyone i was so relieved to not read, look out for giant centipedes and scorpions!
But I have another question about the bacon??? is it so hot out there, that you can like cook stuff on tinfoil during the day? i've always wanted to do that.
We have made dashboard nachos as it gets so hot inside the closed vehicles.

pizzamancer

Post by pizzamancer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:44 am

I got out there 5 days early this year and there were a lot of bugs. They pretty much disappeared toward the end of the burn when people showed up, but I did see a sweet praying manits in 2008.

manydaze84

Post by manydaze84 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:00 pm

pizzamancer what kind of bugs???????????? how big is a praying mantis?

antiM- dashboard nachos sounds wicked. i will try that. where i live we have an inverse of this concept. Beer can just stick in the snow to be ice cold instead of making room in the fridge.

junglesmacks- im not used to a tropical climate. i went to toronto this summer and found that way too hot. it was like 38C. i thought i was going to die. But that was in humidity - drier heat is easier to handle... which i just checked is 100 degrees farenheit. why does your country still use farenheit? anyway the hottest it ever gets here where i live is around 30c/86 F. and thats pretty rare. More common is -32C/-25F.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:20 pm

lucky420 wrote:I came real close to bringing a nest of black widows with us. We had on old vinyl and wood frame couch on our back porch. I thought it would be great to bring and planned to toss it after burningman . So as my daughter and I were dragging it out to the rental truck a bunch of little spiders start crawling out of it. My daughter starts freaking because she is really scared of spideys. I kept telling her "oh stop, they're just daddy long legs." I smash a bunch of them with my sandal and my hands.
She convinces me to at least hose the damn couch off. So I get the hose and am blasting the back of it off and out pour a bunch more of these little spiders...and then mama came running out!! Screaming/running women abound.

Needless to say we did not take the couch to the playa. I had enough trouble getting my daughter to help drag the couch up to the curb for the garbage men...
That would have made for an exciting Theme Camp.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:23 pm

manydaze84 wrote: why does your country still use farenheit?
Because Ronald Reagan was against the Metric System (he didn't understand it), so he canceled Jimmy Carter's program to switch over. The country has been too lazy and too prosperous to switch since that time.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

pizzamancer

Post by pizzamancer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:28 pm

manydaze84 wrote:pizzamancer what kind of bugs???????????? how big is a praying mantis?
There were a bunch of brown ones just under an inch. The praying mantids were about an inch long, green and very cool looking. One was just siting chilling out in deep playa.

Return to “Food & Drink”