Bugs....and Bacon?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:57 pm

BAS wrote:
manydaze84 wrote: why does your country still use farenheit?
Because Ronald Reagan was against the Metric System (he didn't understand it), so he canceled Jimmy Carter's program to switch over. The country has been too lazy and too prosperous to switch since that time.
holy crap. really?.........

no, really?'........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:23 pm

ygmir wrote:
BAS wrote:
Because Ronald Reagan was against the Metric System (he didn't understand it), so he canceled Jimmy Carter's program to switch over. The country has been too lazy and too prosperous to switch since that time.

no, really?'........
Eh, not exactly.

The funds for the program to get the public to use it were cut in his general shrinking of the government. The US government, however, requires it for most federal contracts.

One of the Mars probes crashed because it was done in metric, but Lockhead did their part in the US system- the probe flew too low. Oops.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Eric wrote:
ygmir wrote:
BAS wrote: Because Ronald Reagan was against the Metric System (he didn't understand it), so he canceled Jimmy Carter's program to switch over. The country has been too lazy and too prosperous to switch since that time.

no, really?'........
Eh, not exactly.

The funds for the program to get the public to use it were cut in his general shrinking of the government. The US government, however, requires it for most federal contracts.

One of the Mars probes crashed because it was done in metric, but Lockhead did their part in the US system- the probe flew too low. Oops.
that sounds more reasonable........thanks Eric.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:32 pm

BAS wrote:
True. But now we're too lazy and too self-entitled to switch.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
lucky420 wrote:I came real close to bringing a nest of black widows with us. We had on old vinyl and wood frame couch on our back porch. I thought it would be great to bring and planned to toss it after burningman . So as my daughter and I were dragging it out to the rental truck a bunch of little spiders start crawling out of it. My daughter starts freaking because she is really scared of spideys. I kept telling her "oh stop, they're just daddy long legs." I smash a bunch of them with my sandal and my hands.
She convinces me to at least hose the damn couch off. So I get the hose and am blasting the back of it off and out pour a bunch more of these little spiders...and then mama came running out!! Screaming/running women abound.

Needless to say we did not take the couch to the playa. I had enough trouble getting my daughter to help drag the couch up to the curb for the garbage men...
That would have made for an exciting Theme Camp.
Camp Runamuck, I'd say.

Last year we had one fly in camp -- we figured it had been brought in a load of groceries. We'd see it every couple days, including Monday when we tore down the camp. I imagined it flying around a suddenly empty playa thinking, "Where'd all the food and shade go?"

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

manydaze84 wrote:Is there bugs out there?
Yes, but they are few and far between. Your more likely to never see a insect most years. Although not guaranteed to not run into a infestation of some kind. I mean, come on, hippies are everywhere. (and they don't shower or get medical check ups!)

manydaze84 wrote:when I say Large I mean bigger than a coin.
What size of coin? Like bigger then a loonie? If that's the case then yes; you could run into one.. like Savannah's mantis...
Savannah wrote:The only bug I ever remember seeing out there was a beautiful green praying mantis in 2000 or 2001; a stowaway on a Penske truck, & the mantis asked me where it could score some weed, and I said "SIR, THAT IS ILLEGAL" and he looked pissed and flew off.
...whom I'm sure I ran into in 09 because it was mad that I didn't know where to score some weed at. But was happy that I knew to go to the porta's in order to get acid. In retrospect, I think it was a bad thing I told him that because in 10 he obviously took so much that he was able to bend the fabric of reality and was stalking the open playa in his gigantic state.

Anyway, in 07 and 10 I saw a dragonfly. It was lovely.

manydaze84 wrote:how big is a praying mantis?
How did you not get the idea that he was bigger then a truck? ehhh...

manydaze84 wrote:What is with the bacon thing I keep hearing about at Burning Man?
Hippies eat fucked up things while in an environment that they should never be in. Although one thing they'll never eat is..
manydaze84 wrote: Canadian bacon
.. Hell, even those fake "french" fucks at the Crêpe camp wont touch it.

manydaze84 wrote: is it so hot out there, that you can like cook stuff on tinfoil during the day? i've always wanted to do that.
If you build the solar oven from Bill Nye, or Beakman's World it'll still take all day on the playa. If you built a better one you could have cookies in half a day. But tinfoil on the hood of your car for eggs in the morning won't turn out well.

manydaze84 wrote:OK! well if customs doesnt give birth to kittens over it. i cant see why they would have a problem with a cooler full of bacon. i seem to suspect they'd be unhappier if it was tofu! lol
You've never drove across the boarder before have you?

manydaze84 wrote:do you really think they wont like the bacon crossing the border?
You know how the CBSA is a little anal about wood coming in? Well DHS (dept. CBP) is little annal about meats. Personally I feel it's because of the American notion that they must be the biggest. After all we can't have larger meats coming into the states.

In the end, if your not sure, look up the info. If your still not sure, don't bring it. It's not like you can't buy it in the states.

manydaze84 wrote:why does your country still use farenheit?
Most products have metric units printed on it, if you get lost with the irrational imperial units. - Some states have distance marked in metric in some areas if you need it. - But I blame Reagan, along with cuts to education, and science programs. Or maybe base ten is too hard for everyone...

manydaze84 wrote: ill even let you make canadian jokes and not get mad.
sish... everyone knows America is Canada's toilet, and Canada is Americas hat. What you should do is make fun of those fake Canadian's.. you know.. the Quebeckers.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

manydaze84

Post by manydaze84 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:57 pm

"If you build the solar oven from Bill Nye, or Beakman's World it'll still take all day on the playa. If you built a better one you could have cookies in half a day. But tinfoil on the hood of your car for eggs in the morning won't turn out well. "

THANKS FOR CRUSHING MY DREAM :(

"sish... everyone knows America is Canada's toilet, and Canada is Americas hat. What you should do is make fun of those fake Canadian's.. you know.. the Quebeckers."

geez no need to be so hard on USA eh? lol i like americans, and america. although they could do with a healthy dose of health care, gay marriage and canadian bacon.
the quebecois........They dont even want to be Canadian so if you make fun of them they just like it. but whats with all the anti-quebec hatred, c187? have you been to quebec its WICKED. i lived in montreal for a year to go to school and had myself an excellent time.
although i do get the stink eye once they find out im from alberta, plus i can understand all their insults to me cos hey, people from alberta can learn french too! plus their kind of dickheads about spending all the other provinces money on hating the rest of canada. [/quote]

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Post by Bexx » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 am

SCARY BUGS out there!!
IMG_6942 by angeldye, on Flickr[/img]

also we heated up some tater-tots on the hottest day last year on an old computer hard drive.
IMG_6803 by angeldye, on Flickr
which we then smooshed down and made hash browns - to go with our BACON!

AND warmed up some frozen pizza
IMG_6797 by angeldye, on Flickr
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

phil

Post by phil » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 pm

What do you feed Sparkle Ponies on the playa?

http://imgur.com/CwlJE

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:04 pm

phil wrote:What do you feed Sparkle Ponies on the playa?

http://imgur.com/CwlJE
How funny!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:04 am

In 2009 I saw exactly 1 dragon fly and 1 ant.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 am

A rather sizable mantis has been spotted around Mr. Jellyfish's camp in years past....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:09 am

I saw a real dragonfly once. Probably blown over from Frog Pond.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am

Savannah wrote:The only bug I ever remember seeing out there was a beautiful green praying mantis in 2000 or 2001; a stowaway on a Penske truck, & the mantis asked me where it could score some weed, and I said "SIR, THAT IS ILLEGAL" and he looked pissed and flew off.
+1

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 am

There are also brine shrimp eggs that wait till it rains to do their little life cycle. Those Sea Monkeys you got as a kid could very well have come from the playa at Black Rock.

Ahh, Sea Monkeys. We hardly knew ya'.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:00 pm

When I was there in '05 there was a BIG CHESS board set up out in the open and it had lights at night (nitetime chess?) and there was what looked like large squashed cockroaches around it! I am pretty sure they were real!
I don't like bugs so I didn't get too close! :oops:

edited for spellin'

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 am

ManyDaze, where in Canada are you from?

I have a winter storm warning playing on the radio right now... supposed to snow 10-15cm this afternoon.
Beware teh snarkasm

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Ditto on seeing a beautful dragonfly once. It looked a little disoriented. Oh wait....maybe that was me.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:45 am

Bug and Bacon Bump.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

i just love that priceline commercial...

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 am

well played, antiM, well played....
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 am

No, I'm not playing at all.

Trying to keep the Q&A threads on topic without deletion and minimal lock downs. Thanks, but I'd prefer assistance in getting this thing back on the rails.

Return to “Food & Drink”