Whats Your Favorite Meal to Make on the Playa???

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Worthy

Whats Your Favorite Meal to Make on the Playa???

Post by Worthy » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:34 am

Second year burner here, just trying to get some new ideas on what to eat out there.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Whats Your Favorite Meal to Make on the Playa???

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:15 pm

Worthy wrote:Second year burner here, just trying to get some new ideas on what to eat out there.
Horny toads, bull snakes, jack rabbits, sandy trout, the usual.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:56 pm

I kind of like to eat healthy when it's hot, so I'll ask the bartender for two olives in my martini(s). A Bloodly Mary every morning for the ruffage and you're 'good to go'.

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:01 pm

ITYM "Tequila Mary".

sgrunspa

Post by sgrunspa » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:04 pm

i try for a balance between good and easy, when it comes to food.

tastybites from trader joes or www.tastybites.com are awesome, very easy to make (they boil in their own pouch) and tasty. they're warm so they are better suited to dinner than lunch. but when it is so hot, I don't eat much anyway.
time wounds all heels - groucho marx

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:07 pm

Gak. Stick to Powerbars for breakfast and steak for dinner.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:12 pm

Nope. Bloody Mary, is what I meant to type. With woodka. Noticed last year, waterfront bars were selling their souls for mixer. Hmmm.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:20 pm

There's always the non-military version of the MRE. All you need is a little bit of water for the heater pak and everything else is provided. 1200-1400 calories, ready in short order and the taste is not that bad. Of course they all ship with a small bottle of Tabasco if the taste is an issue. Anything over $6 per MRE is a rip, they are cheaper if bought in 12 pack variety cases.

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:21 pm

Vodka is our enemy, so let's finish it off. (Anon.)

sgrunspa

yes it is

Post by sgrunspa » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:22 pm

vodka is a food group.
time wounds all heels - groucho marx

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:40 pm

"A breakfast without a Screwdriver is like sunshine without orange juice!" -- or something like that...! *hic!*
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:46 pm

Coffee & a PB&J

Sprinkle liberally with dirt.

Simon said

Fav Food

Post by Simon said » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:16 pm

I do the Mac & Cheese. My wife taught me a trick she learned in college ...she added a can of tuna fish and its great !

This year I plan on buying those moist packs of tuna or salmon that do not need any refrigeration...

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:16 am

Might add some freeze dried peas to round that out.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:20 am

Tuna pack + mustard on crackers, um yum. I am a heretic who likes pickles in my tuna; just haven't found a non-messy way to keep sweet pickle relish fresh and happy on the playa. I despise warm relish, and those little packs are useless moop.

Pickles in my tuna, either that's flthy or a good ditty.

dooda dooda

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:22 am

Chicken and salmon are available in those packs too, neh?

We have the means to haul stinky trash out securely, so I'm not too worried about a bit of packaging in this case ...

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:46 am

One thing which works well with macaroni & cheese & tuna is french cut string beans. (I found this out with my "take what's available and throw in a big pot and cook it" school of cooking.)

Adding in different types of cheese also makes for variety.

I've never tried pickles, but have tried anchovies!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:28 am

just haven't found a non-messy way to keep sweet pickle relish fresh
Never tried it so I dunno if it would work, but have you considered putting it in one of those backpacking squeeze tubes? They work well for things like PB&J.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:33 pm

Tuna sandwiches are an OPPORTUNITY to eat relish. I'll go so far as to chop up pickles to put in with the tuna. Oh, and Lemon Pepper.

Apollonaris Zeus

Ummmmm, foooooood!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:51 pm

They sell cooked frozen chicken at Albertsons in Winnemucca. I like the thighs. Since they are frozen to start it will take several days before they thaw so they help in keeping other foods frozen. Keep them in a water-tight Tupperware type container so not to contaminate other foods when they do thaw out (they're cooked, but you won't like the drippings getting into your ice and why take a chance incase they weren't completely cooked or handled properly.) Remove enough chicken for a meal and place in plastic bag to thaw out for the next days meal. Place it in the container that sits on top of the cooler that comes with most quality ice chests (buy the new 5 day cooler and your ice will last most of the week)

If you are a vegetarian, replace the chicken with firm tofu.

Great Playa quick foods within 30 minutes!

with these common ingredients you can make several dishes.

Ummm, Coconut Thai Curry dishes (this one always gets a few passerbys stopping in for a taste- make a little extra so you can have some!)

Red or green Thai Curry Paste (very subtle tastes difference between the two, but I prefer the red because of it's looks.
Rice Noodles
Bok Choy
Chinese Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts- cut or peeled (i like to peel the leaves apart)
Onions
Ginger fresh (optional)
Garlic fresh (optional)
Mushrooms
coconut milk- either low fat or regular (you really only save about 30% fat using low fat and the taste is only slightly less creamy.
salt
olive or peanut oil.

1- cook the noodles in a two quart dutch pot without the lid. This takes only 3 minutes. place to side with water still in pot.
2- quick Brown the chicken or tofu in a frying pan with a little oil and a little grated ginger and garlic (less is more with ginger and garlic.)
3- rough cut the vegetables. while other ingredients are cooking.
4- add vegetables to frying pan- first the brussels, cook for 2 minutes
5- add cabbage and onions wait a bit.
6- add bok choy and mushroom cook for 2 minutes
7- mix a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk with the curry 1/8 teaspoon or less for mild per serving, 1/4 tsp or more if you like it hot. add to pan stir in and then add up to 1/3 cup of coconut milk per serving.
8- add the drained noodle. Heat thoroughly. Add more milk depending on how dry or soupy you like your curry.
9- add pinch of salt.

Teriyaki chicken or tofu.

I know a great one but its hard to get. It was once sold at albertsons in Winnemucca, but I couldn't find it last time. I will have to repost the brand when I look it up but forgot it right now.

Or you can make your teriyaki from scratch- Teriyaki sauce, 1/3 C soy sauce, 3 T sugar, 3 T brown sugar, 3 T sake, 1/4 C chicken broth (1/4 cup boiling water & 1 chicken bullion cube), ginger (~2"-2.5" length, grated), garlic (~6 large cloves, minced), black pepper

Marinate the chicken or tofu in the teriyake sauce when go to thaw it.

These are just two recipes but tasty enough to enjoy twice or thrice in the week.

A II Z

PS- if you run out of chicken, nab one of the many lost dogs found wondering around the playa to substitute.

But, Hurry! The DPW usually get them first!

Use the above recipe sans the curry, milk, noodles. Replace with pineapple and rice.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:01 pm

PSS-

Oops-

the amount of vege's depend on your appetite- a cup of both, vege's and noodles each seems to be enough for an average person, but make more and store in the cooler for a midnite snack before heading back out to the playa to view the late nite (or early morning) entertainments.

A word on cooler hygiene- with all the food, beer and hands going into and out of the cooler, it's a good idea to add a couple of drops of Iodine to it and still be able to use the ice for drinks and other uncooked foods without getting the playa's infamous "Larry Harvey's Curse".

keitha

Post by keitha » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:11 pm

I'll try to be a tad more helpful than some of the other "pass the martin-shaker" posters.

The two camp staples we use (8 years of playa-dusted experience)
Big Frozen Batch of Gaspacho. There is nothing like COLD veggies after a few hot days in BRC. If you pull it out and let it start defrosting in the morning you have a fine treat for sunset dinner. A cup of gaspacho makes a mighty fine playa gift, just ask the Johnny on the Spot Guys. :wink:

We also always cook a big batch of chicken breasts in salsa, then shred it, put it in ziplocks and use for all kinds of things. You can make a mean taco salad, pasta/rice salad (cook the pasta/rice before you leave home and pack it seperately) quesedillas, or just eat cold chunk of spicy chicken for a quick protein fix. A couple of years it was unusually cold so warm dinners were easy too, just heat and eat.

Pre-cooking is essential to the Do It All, See It All plan. Fewer dishes to do and less time doing the mundane in camp when you could be experiencing the sublime.
You make a living by what you you get you make a life by what you give.

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:42 pm

in the years before "giant-fucking-organized-shade structure-camp-with kitchen-and-icebox" i used to bring class "a" MRE's. -(and habanero infused tequila).

no hassle, fast and doable in brutal conditions.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

melanie

Post by melanie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:13 am

I like to eat good food, and usually I like to eat a lot, but on the playa, my appetite is down. I also love to cook at home, but I don't really care to spend playa time doing it. So I like to eat good food that is quick, easy, and usually high in protein, because after all the alcohol is consumed, protein helps repair. We do a lot of cold ready to eat food and we bring a small gas hibachi to grill meat. This year I am going to hard boil eggs, prepare pasta salad, peanut soba noodles, and egg salad (for sandwiches, yum). I'm going to bring some easy snack stuff like frozen cooked shrimp and cocktail sauce, smoked salmon, salami, cheese and crackers, baby carrots, and hummus. To grill we'll bring chicken sausages, turkey burgers, and steaks. We don't even bring a stove anymore, and we use just a few paper plates and bring a set of silverware apiece. So, no dishes, which I love.
I don't know about you guys but I am starting to feel the playa come back to me - I can't wait!

Juju

Post by Juju » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:17 am

melanie wrote:I like to eat good food, and usually I like to eat a lot, but on the playa, my appetite is down. I also love to cook at home, but I don't really care to spend playa time doing it. So I like to eat good food that is quick, easy, and usually high in protein, because after all the alcohol is consumed, protein helps repair. We do a lot of cold ready to eat food and we bring a small gas hibachi to grill meat. I don't know about you guys but I am starting to feel the playa come back to me - I can't wait!
I love you.

Yeah, what she said.

I love cooking on the playa, actually, and with a tiny camp this year I'm sure it'll be even easier. I'm addicted to sausage, so I always have a few packs plus my portable gas grill. Aidells sausage is cheaper in bulk at Costco, as are Johnsonville Brats, for the pork munchers. I forsee shrimp skewers and chicken satay on our menu for this year, and probably a spicy Indian curry one night and a mild japanese curry another. Depending on whether our friends/neighbors have power, I just might bring my ricemaker this year - which means I can steam rice or veggies easily to have alongside whatever meat we deem appropriate.

Now that I've discovered the joys of a food processor, I'm planning on whipping up a batch of fresh pesto (freeze in ice cube trays!) to have with dried ravioli (asparagus, yum!) - fast, easy, boils up in 8 minutes. We did pesto w/ravioli last year, but I had to buy the pesto in Reno, and I'd much rather pack my own.

I was thinking of making some hummus to bring also, but wondering if it freezes well?

I'm also plotting a potluck-style engagement dinner party on Thursday... I need good ideas for canapes!
"doin' it for the midgets"

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:40 am

All I eat on the playa is MRE's. Why? Cause I'm a lazy fuck, that's why.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Selkie

Post by Selkie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:12 am

Well since I'm a virgin burner, I can't say what I'd like to eat on the playa specifically, but I know what I like when I'm camping.

Oatmeal for breakfast always. Nothing gets you up and going like a nice warm bowl of oatmeal dusted liberally with brown sugar. I don't care how hot it will be when I get up, it'll still taste great.

For pretty much everything else, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, various easy to make rice and bean dishes, and the occasional kraft mac&cheez.

While I like cooking in camp, I'm just too lazy to think I'll do anything more than the above items.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
~Mark Twain

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:03 am

Dinty.
Canned hash. (Broadcast or Mary Kitchen brands)
Smoked oysters.
Jumex canned nectars (Mango!)
Oyster crackers over canned chili.
Really, really freezerburned whitemeat turkey. (balsawood consistency)
Vienna sausages and Tabasco.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:00 am

Newbie playans say "you are what you wear!"

Oldbie playans say "you are what you eat!"

A II Z

shaunbarney

Post by shaunbarney » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:25 pm

My favorite thing I ate last year was a cold bean and rice burrito. We had some beans and rice that was precooked and put into ZipLoc bags and some tortillas. Easy.

SB

Return to “Food & Drink”