Whats Your Favorite Meal to Make on the Playa???

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
chickenfish

its beer o'clock!

Post by chickenfish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:49 pm

My favorite thing we had last year was fresh seared ahi tuna on thursday that the late comers to our camp brought...I myself don't cook much, its hard to handle pots and pans with these damn claws and fins, but we were lucky enought to have a master chef in our midst. I've done the tasty bits for years, and after a while I get REALLY tired of them. Grilled cheese or quesadillas are a great simple fast food out there. I've found over the years that I always bring way to much food, as I eat less out there thanI do usually because of the heat and such.
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:58 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:All I eat on the playa is MRE's. Why? Cause I'm a lazy fuck, that's why.

amen jezzy.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

birdbrain

Hummus freezing

Post by birdbrain » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Juju,

I've had good luck freezing hummus: you probably will too-I just use smaller containers instead of 1 lg. to keep it in better shape.!

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:40 am

hard-boiled eggs, turkey jerky and water about an hour before the sun comes up
Buckethead, Buckethead you are like an Alien
Buckethead, Buckethead your head is like a dish
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you wear the Maybelline
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you're full of fish

Post by Karma » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:01 am

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Go out and buy one of those foodSaver vacuum seal thingys. Day 5 on the Playa and Im pullin SUPER fresh steaks or whatever else you put in them.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

riznah
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Want It

hummus

Post by riznah » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:30 pm

They also actually have dried hummus that isn't too terrible. I know some grocery stores have it in the natural food section. Add water and voila!

Rian Jackson

Re: its beer o'clock!

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:40 pm

chickenfish wrote:My favorite thing we had last year was fresh seared ahi tuna on thursday that the late comers to our camp brought...I myself don't cook much, its hard to handle pots and pans with these damn claws and fins, but we were lucky enought to have a master chef in our midst. I've done the tasty bits for years, and after a while I get REALLY tired of them. Grilled cheese or quesadillas are a great simple fast food out there. I've found over the years that I always bring way to much food, as I eat less out there thanI do usually because of the heat and such.
oh.my.god. you're - like - half a cannibal.
and to think i've been crushing you.
shattered. simply shattered.
surlier than thou

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:57 pm

A little piece of advice to those virgins...bring as much dehydrated water as possible, it's lighter weight and easier to pack.
I've been looking online for a left handed corkscrew for about a month...no luck yet. :lol:

The Great Quentini

Post by The Great Quentini » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:31 am

Lunch I eat pepperoni & cheese and crackers. Powerbars for whenever I need fast energy and I'm too trashed to cook, Ramen noodles for a good hot meal, Middle east Couscous mix (boil water dump in seasoning pack and couscous and wait 5 minutes. Easy tastey filling. The first day i buy a bagged salad on the way in so that I have some fresh veggies the next day. I also like the fresh pasta packets ( Pesto tortellini) they last a day or two and are easy and tastey. Soup in a cup just boil water, Lots of apples ( I love apples and they are very refreshing) Baby carrots in a ziplock ( don't let them soak in the cooler water) A frozen steak for mid week, honey and tea for when the desert has trashed my voice, PB &J for lunches ( get bread in a plastic bag, first year I brought fancy sourdough in paper bag and it was a decorative brick by lunch) I say don't be afraid to bring your favorite foods. A friend has a seal-a-meal device and he has his wife cook up delicious burritoes with elk meat, tqastes great and I'd never go to theat much effort out on the playa but all we did was pull them out of the cooler, cut them open and eat. the seal-a-meal device is inexpensive. I bring homemade beef jerky which I eat a lot of. dry nuts, and salad which has to be eaten fast but as long as you stay on top of the quickly desolving foods you can have a refreshing meal till mid week. Then have your late arriving friends bring the fresh veggies and steaks for the end of week.

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:53 pm

Last year I made a big batch of enchiladas and froze them before heading out. They kept my cooler cool, and they were easy to reheat. They were great. One of my campmates made a green thai curry chicken dish one night that was heavenly. Goat cheese grilled sandwiches and quesadillas, bean salad with feta, tuna and crackers, and my all time very favorite: Fritos with cream cheese and salsa.

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:54 pm

Last year I made a big batch of enchiladas and froze them before heading out. They kept my cooler cool, and they were easy to reheat. They were great. One of my campmates made a green thai curry chicken dish one night that was heavenly. Goat cheese grilled sandwiches and quesadillas, bean salad with feta, tuna and crackers, and my all time very favorite: Fritos with cream cheese and salsa.

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:25 pm

If you're bringing a dry ice cooler, precooked shrimp is wonderful. Keep half-pound batches of it frozen in ziplock bags and transfer them to the regular cooler the night before you plan on eating them. Put it on a platter with a little cocktail sauce and it's a great mid-day snack.

Pre-cooked, frozen meat and rice/bean dishes work well. Do a practice run ahead of time to make sure they hold up to freeze/reheat well.

M&M's and cashews are good for snacking.

Canteloupe and oranges are great, but make sure you eat them before they over-ripen! That goes for everything, really - use up all fresh foods before they become un-fresh. If it's too much for you to eat, prepare it anyway and serve to others. Much better than having more smelly garbage to haul home.

random_vamp

Post by random_vamp » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:12 pm

I'm a big fan of shit that comes in cans and can be eaten with or without reheating (which probably derives from my years in the Boy Scouts as a youth). My favorites:
- Chef Boy'R'D meat ravioli
- Any "chunky" style soup
- Vienna sausages
- Beanie Weenies

Things along those lines pretty much handle 75% of my playa food, along with some Tasty Bites, bread, cheese, and dried meats

Return to “Food & Drink”