Experience with serving alcohol?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: Experience with serving alcohol?

Post by 9ah » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Plus, you can always not drink at places that won't serve you without id.
This is usually what I do. I don't leave camp without an emergency beer.

I have seen teens that look older then me, so it's understandable.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 am

I look way over 21 and don't carry an ID. If I'm somewhere that requires it, no worries, I don't need a drink that bad.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am

We hosted a happy hour at our camp, and poured probably 15 bottles of booze and 15 bottles of mixers, 20 bags of ice easily. My camp of 25 had brought extra booze and mixers for this purpose as our Gift to the playa. Our happy hour ended up lasting about 4 hours. We were in the outskirts (8:15 and K) but it was well-attended by our neighbors and a few passing art cars. We lured people in via gentle heckling, killer music via large speaker, and offering pitchers of cocktail to entice the artcars to stop.

Biggest problem was running out of ice...and Thursday idiots who showed up without ID and often without a Cup. Seriously? Did you read anything in the Survival Guide? We carded everyone at the bar. We let a few people with no ID slide against my better judgement but nothing bad happened. We were not in the main drag of BRC and had no problem with LEO, but I still think carding vigilance is important.

Also I'd recommend "NOT" putting out a trash/recycling bin or graywater storage anywhere near your happy hour venue--the drunkees will abuse them. Encourage the LNT ethic and make people bring their own cup and leave with their own trash. Backup power for sound system! Our first battery died for 30 seconds while we switched to the other battery, we lost half our crowd.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

asr9754 wrote:We hosted a happy hour at our camp, and poured probably 15 bottles of booze and 15 bottles of mixers, 20 bags of ice easily. My camp of 25 had brought extra booze and mixers for this purpose as our Gift to the playa. Our happy hour ended up lasting about 4 hours. We were in the outskirts (8:15 and K) but it was well-attended by our neighbors and a few passing art cars. We lured people in via gentle heckling, killer music via large speaker, and offering pitchers of cocktail to entice the artcars to stop.

Biggest problem was running out of ice...and Thursday idiots who showed up without ID and often without a Cup. Seriously? Did you read anything in the Survival Guide? We carded everyone at the bar. We let a few people with no ID slide against my better judgement but nothing bad happened. We were not in the main drag of BRC and had no problem with LEO, but I still think carding vigilance is important.

Also I'd recommend "NOT" putting out a trash/recycling bin or graywater storage anywhere near your happy hour venue--the drunkees will abuse them. Encourage the LNT ethic and make people bring their own cup and leave with their own trash. Backup power for sound system! Our first battery died for 30 seconds while we switched to the other battery, we lost half our crowd.
We ended up with a huge amount of gifted trash in our bar this year. It's not really like people just come in and dump a bunch of stuff, it's little things that build up over time. Also, when people come by and donate beer/liquor/mixers/whatever those empties have to go somewhere... We're going to plan for extra trash capacity next time. :D

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 pm

asr9754 wrote:We hosted a happy hour at our camp, and poured probably 15 bottles of booze and 15 bottles of mixers, 20 bags of ice easily. My camp of 25 had brought extra booze and mixers for this purpose as our Gift to the playa. Our happy hour ended up lasting about 4 hours. We were in the outskirts (8:15 and K) but it was well-attended by our neighbors and a few passing art cars. We lured people in via gentle heckling, killer music via large speaker, and offering pitchers of cocktail to entice the artcars to stop.

Was this your camp? If so I'd like to thank you for the awesome drinks your "Liquor Robot" poured. We were on L right behind you and the whole camp had a great time hanging out with all of you.
Burning Man 2013 067.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

I think what Trishntek, and the rest of the people of Retrofrolic do is one of the best examples of running a bar right on the playa. So hear what they are telling you.
One thing I saw this year, which I thought was clever, was Duck Pound gave out wristbands. It may not be the best thing for your bar, but it worked for Duck Pounds set up, and traffic.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

Asquared
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Asquared » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:10 pm

i took my expired ID around the city, got carded a few times, but never had a problem.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 pm

@Jackass,
Yes that was us! I was (one of) the drunk guys behind the bar. Thanks for coming! Do you have any more pics? If so please PM me. We'll have the liquor-bot out there again next year. Her name is Molly.

Return to “Food & Drink”