Why can't I bring that food to the playa?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Why can't I bring that food to the playa?

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 am

aserendipity wrote:delicious
that is the best
and over the years I have attempted many kinds to bring;trailmix w. chips , bars of all sorts, ..
somehow they distort there
but I will try again this year
baked brownies
We bake cookies on the playa, bet we could do brownies too. Prep work is different though, cookie dough transports well.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:18 am

and because sugar is something I make believe we should avoid
it tastes really fabulous
cookies it is then !

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:02 pm

We have had the Costco brownie bites last two weeks on the playa if kept in the shade in their plastic container. There is also a Costco granola type cookie called Aussie bites that lasts really well.

My hubby would be very sad without milk on the playa - Amazon has shelf stable milk (a case of quart size boxes I think) made by Borden - and also quart size half and half.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Interesting tidbit for those of you who want milk. Once frozen the expiration date becomes null and void.

IE, you bought some milk on the 10th of the month, the expiration (actually it's a sell by date, unless you're in NYC) is the 30th.

You have 20 days to finish it off while it's refrigerated.

If you freeze that milk on the 20th then you can pull it out 2 months later and it will remain good for 10 days. Just mark the remaining days on the carton.

This works better in large gallon sized plastic containers than it does in the cardboard containers. However I prefer my milk in cardboard over plastic.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 am

I only drink raw milk, which doesn't last nearly as long as the pasteurized crap before it starts to curdle. And then it gets risky. So far I haven't brought raw milk to the playa, however I fucking love milk and I fucking love cereal on the playa so I always bring unsweetened almond milk. I can't stand 'regular' milk after becoming accustomed to the real thing, but I enjoy almond. This year I'm gonna try the horizon stuff and hope it passes in a bowl of cereal. At home I'll make my own almond milk but it spurs in a few days and its too messy of a process for a bowl of peanut butter panda puffs on the playa.

Last year we tried the dry box method for fruit and worked surprisingly well, we still had edible fruit for the tuna party. Tortillas in the dry box worked great for us as well.

I've always been surprised at well veggies have fared, sitting on top of the ice. My first year was living on a farm and brought two giant cabbages. No bag or anything they just lived in the cooler for the whole week we would just peel off leaves as needed. I think they like it in there so much they even grew a little bit.

A walk-in cooler/freezer would really be ideal, then you could bring whatever the crap you wanted. Saw one at a plug and play camp once... Inside of a 40 foot commercial kitchen trailer behind a big rig. Motherfuckers had paid around 13,000 for the damn rental.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 am

Reading these post, doh!.. I use two of those plastic crisper's for veggies. They are used for over flow after shopping at the farmers market.. They have a vented floor and lid.. Also (on a trial) I have the "as seen on TV" mats in the bottom of the refrigerator crisper.. Both work very well.. So I will plan to use them in the cooler.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:20 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote:I only drink raw milk, which doesn't last nearly as long as the pasteurized crap before it starts to curdle. And then it gets risky. So far I haven't brought raw milk to the playa, however I fucking love milk and I fucking love cereal on the playa so I always bring unsweetened almond milk. I can't stand 'regular' milk after becoming accustomed to the real thing, but I enjoy almond. This year I'm gonna try the horizon stuff and hope it passes in a bowl of cereal. At home I'll make my own almond milk but it spurs in a few days and its too messy of a process for a bowl of peanut butter panda puffs on the playa.

Last year we tried the dry box method for fruit and worked surprisingly well, we still had edible fruit for the tuna party. Tortillas in the dry box worked great for us as well.

I've always been surprised at well veggies have fared, sitting on top of the ice. My first year was living on a farm and brought two giant cabbages. No bag or anything they just lived in the cooler for the whole week we would just peel off leaves as needed. I think they like it in there so much they even grew a little bit.

A walk-in cooler/freezer would really be ideal, then you could bring whatever the crap you wanted. Saw one at a plug and play camp once... Inside of a 40 foot commercial kitchen trailer behind a big rig. Motherfuckers had paid around 13,000 for the damn rental.
Living with a health nut in an RV for a couple months all she had was almond milk. I could not stand it.

Are there any out there that could pass for regular milk? All I use milk for it some cooking and coffee. I need my coffee.

Oh, I recently read some tips and tricks for keeping fruits and veggies longer in your fridge. I'll double check but the jist of it was to mix a 1-10 part vinegar to water mix and soak the fruits and veggies in it. The vineger was so diluted that it would not add the taste to the fruits and veggies. It is supposed to help keep strawberries and other berries fresh for up to a month in the fridge. And those usually go bad in a few days (Here in NYC, fresh strawberries and blueberries, say in California, would last over a week).

As to the commercial kitchen with walk in freezer on a rig. I'm guessing you stumbled into the OK\RH Cafeteria. I traded some seriously grueling labor for the opportunity to dig in. Man was it great.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 am

Eddie wrote:Are there any out there that could pass for regular milk? All I use milk for it some cooking and coffee. I need my coffee.
I say take the shelf stable (wait, that's for horses?) stuff. Pop it in the fridge 12 hours before you use it, and of course, after you open.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am

Yes. The Horizon Farms milk boxes taste fine. I chill them, but it's not a must.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eddie wrote:Are there any out there that could pass for regular milk? All I use milk for it some cooking and coffee. I need my coffee.
I say take the shelf stable (wait, that's for horses?) stuff. Pop it in the fridge 12 hours before you use it, and of course, after you open.
do you have a brand you recommend?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:00 pm

HORIZON FARMS. :lol:

Red & other color graphics. Cow pictured.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:03 pm

I say bring afucking cow .. So this thread can drift back

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 pm

I just tried the shelf-stable 2% milk made by Parmalat and sold at Wally World - tasted more like good whole milk, really good.

Also just learned that TJ's has shelf stable whipping cream that might be really good in coffee. Apparently you chill it for about 6 hours prior to whipping.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 pm

The two things I miss on the playa that I don't bring because of the amount trash they generate are corn on the cob and ribs.

Return to “Food & Drink”