Food/Drink: What worked - what didnt

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Food/Drink: What worked - what didnt

Post by forty_eight » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:08 pm

I'm partial to this contraption for coffee while camping.

But, I don't do power (yet) when I camp.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:21 pm

You don't need power to make coffee, just some way to heat water. Tiny backpacking stoves work, but I like the good old suitcase-sized Coleman stove with liquid fuel. A lot of people swear by the propane bottles, but a single $10 gallon of Coleman fuel lasted me three years (including some off-playa use). Plus you can make friends with fire spinners, who often use the same stuff :)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:04 pm

You can use unleaded gas instead of white gas in both the lanterns AND those stoves!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Vague memories of something about ethanol and nasty additives you don't want in your food?

Also, I had an unskilled operator decide to shut off the stove by venting pressure (unscrewing the cap). With gasoline, I can't imagine anything other than a huge fireball as a result.

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 am

My first coleman suitcase stove was the white fuel type ... the pump started spewing a fine stream of fuel from the valve, so needless to say, I retired that bad boy and bought the propane canister Target version.

Thing has been solid for about five years with multiple camping trips logged.

White fuel, evidently, burns hotter, too. So faster to boil, etc.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:09 pm

the apple pie moonshine from the, "random pants" dome,,, worked... thanks May and Phil... :shock:
and the nightly fire at camp OK/not OK...
booze and fire,,, worked
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:07 pm

70 lbs of dry ice kept drumsticks mostly frozen until about Friday. That worked well for blowing some neighbors minds. I ended up having some frozen ice bottles left in that cooler 2 weeks after leaving which allowed me to eat the small portion of seafood etouffee I had in there when I got back home with no issues or worries.

Chopped Texas barbecue was probably the best thing I brought. Some central market gumbo I had Sunday night was also amazing, along with having seafood etouffee on a few occasions. I brought too much bacon and should have done a better job giving it away, I brought some back home that my dog enjoyed though.

Some packaged smoked salmon my neighbors had was fantastic also. Trader Joe's dolmas were great, and so were the TJ crispy crunchy chocolate chip cookies. Frozen juice bars work out well also. Emergen-c is standard protocol out there.

I didn't make grilled cheese or sandwiches at all that are usually a camping staple. I also brought way too much pasta salad which was great but didn't get eaten.

Ended up bringing too much food, but it is better to be overprepared than underprepared.

My carbonated grape mead (grape soda) seemed to be the most popular of my brews for everyone. Dawn Patrol got the last gallon of that before we headed out.

I packed everything way too deeply in the van for the 2 day trip out also and did not have access to it until we got to the festival. That will need to be adjusted next time.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Packaged green salads worked great. Dry ice cooler stayed frozen until Friday, and we went in Thursday pre event so was surprised it lasted that long. Had frozen heat and eat meals in there. Had a bunch of apples and those cold crispy treats were delightful mid dust storms. Precook hamburger patties packaged two to a freezer bag, could grab one and throw it in the backpack. Would be thawed for lunch on the bike as we looked at stuff. Worked out well.

I took a bunch of cliff bars, jerky, fruit cups, also olive and pickle cups as these had been favorites in years past, this year we didn't touch them. I think it was because of the weather. We spent more time in camp so therefore had more time to mess with cooking/cleaning so we didn't have to grab and go as much. I always bring ramen also and never usually eat much, but this year that was our go to breakfast for those chilly mornings.

For coffee I heat water on camp stove and use an aero press. Excellent cup of coffee and clean up is a cinch. I now use it to make my coffee here at home too.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Oh, and ice coffee drinks were great too. I like the skinny cow brand more than the Starbucks. Tasted better.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Coffee first!! Coffee before coffee, a sort of koan for you. Bialetti pot and backpacker butane stove.

Pancake mixes that only need water. Pot of rice and two cans of inari zushi.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:13 pm

I can't really say anything didn't work. my main goal was to use my cooler as little as possible and it totes worked. eggbeaters, pre cooked bacon, tortillas, and hotdogs were the only things that had to be kept cold. I bought small enough packages of everything else that only occasionally a jar would need to be kept cold after opening. I shall leave these notes for future low-cooler enthusiasts :)

* MREs - totally saved my ass on the road. I ended up eating 3 of my 6 and being very glad I had them.

* condiment packets - collected plenty of mustard, ketchup, relish, and mayo over a couple of months.
* a variety of tiny shelf stable beverages - had a capri sun, a container of milk, and a small can of coke while futzing around before making breakfast.

* tuna in packets & small cans of chicken - used in a variety of ways but especially mixed with mayo & relish and eaten on triscuits.
* tortilla chips - I went through an entire Costco size bag. scoop up bean dip, salsa, black olives, and easy cheese for "nachos". (put all the stuff into a tortilla for burritos.) or just stuff your face with chips and salsa because all you want is salt and carbs anyways.
* chicken in a biskit & easy cheese - OMG I COULD EAT THIS ALL DAY EVER DAY!

* mac&cheese, ramen, chunky soups, ravioli, spaghettiOs - my little alcohol burner stove worked like a charm <3
* egg beaters in single serving cups - amazeballs. two cups scrambled with a small can of mushrooms, warm up some bacon, put a few black pepper triscuits on the side (in lieu of toast), and make a fucking Bloody Mary.
* breakfast burritos - eggs & mushrooms, bean dip, black olives, easy cheese, and bacon.
* lazy man's tuna casserole - tuna pouch and a small can of peas & carrots in a box of mac & cheese. topped with tons of black pepper, of course.

- - - - -

I hardly touched my jerky/dried fruit/granola bars. that's usually the first thing I grab when I open my eyes and I always take some when I leave camp. I slept in much later this year, though, so I awoke fully rested and sober. I wasn't desperate for food immediately. plus, the cool weather kept me in camp longer for a bigger breakfast. the bigger breakfast also meant I didn't do much day nibbling on rations while out and about during the day.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:10 am

As others have said, a lot of our grab n go foods did not get touched. Jerky/dried fruit/granola bars/cheese crackers and the pickle/olive cups. Same with the salty snacks, much went unopened. Good news is those keep and MyLarry takes them as truck snacks on the road. Didn't even use the tuna packs, which was odd, those are a staple. I did eat more EZ cheese than usual. We had a basket of road snacks and lived off that during the whiteout on arrival. Macadamia nuts and Quaker sweet chili rice cakes and turkey jerky, and some other treats. Always have easy to grab food and drinks in your vehicle.

We have a camp stove with an oven; so lots of of hot foods in demand. Soup and ramen, and we found Campbell's does a nice coconut curry chicken soup in a pouch now. Used up most of the sweet rolls and Grands and crescent rolls, but not the little buttermilk biscuits or cookies. Whiteouts are fine for boiling water for noodles, but not cookie baking. We went with a lot of precooked premium chicken sausages in interesting flavors; stuff which is tasty but too high in sodium to eat at home. Brought good mustard and a tasty pineapple-pepper relish. Campmate had precooked meatballs, those were great and go on the shopping list. Not enough bacon.

Chilled treats which went over well, other than the fresh stuff campmates brought and ate the first two days: go-gurt tubes, individually packed mini mozzarella balls, string cheese, individual cups of hummus. Not the fruit cups which are usually popular. I am seeing a protein pattern for this year, rather than salty or sweet.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 am

all you need is water and these.

mre.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:26 am

Maybe, but what I WANT is spaghetti, beef stroganoff, and steak!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:41 am

Asparagus kept well into 6 days, and were delicious grilled. I will bring more next year.
Brisket was amazing, easy to prepare and popular. I will bring more next year.
I discovered I HATE cooking eggs out there, and that one can overdo it on the bacon. Breakfast sausage instead of all bacon next year.
Cinnamon buns yes, biscuits no.
Way less snack food.
Dolmas - OMG yes. Sun dried tomatoes- Yes. Roasted peppers - meh.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Yes to sun dried tomatoes, and small cans of vegetables. Both add to box or envelope noodle mixes, or canned soup.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Elorrum wrote:...small cans of vegetables..
word to the veggies. i got those tiny cans of mixed veg, asparagus, green beans, etc. i did a pretty good job of eating vegetable matter every day.

i was still ready to suck dick for a fresh salad come Friday, though. i was going to buy a head of cabbage and even brought shelf-stable packets of salad dressing but i forgot to buy the cabbage during final supply shopping in Fernley :(
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:53 pm

VultureChow wrote:Asparagus kept well into 6 days, and were delicious grilled. I will bring more next year.
Brisket was amazing, easy to prepare and popular. I will bring more next year.
I discovered I HATE cooking eggs out there, and that one can overdo it on the bacon. Breakfast sausage instead of all bacon next year.
Cinnamon buns yes, biscuits no.
Way less snack food.
Dolmas - OMG yes. Sun dried tomatoes- Yes. Roasted peppers - meh.
what did you do with the brisket?

Doctor VonBacon

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:00 pm

pretty_monster wrote: i was still ready to suck dick for a fresh salad come Friday,

I don't think that combination of words has ever been uttered before in the English language.

In other news, I have spit coffee all over my computer monitor. Thank you for the laugh.

We now resume our regularly scheduled thread.
I like eggs.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Camp beacon next year will be a head of lettuce on a 20 foot pole.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:22 pm

pretty_monster wrote:i was still ready to suck dick for a fresh salad come Friday, though.
Damn. I should have asked for a salad first. Next time I'll remember that.

VultureChow wrote:Dolmas - OMG yes.
A camp-mate brought 10 tins of the TJ ones - we ate them all (last tin got consumed on Exodus). I'm still craving them. I forgot the TJs garlic-pickled mushrooms this year, which made me sad. One of the few vinegar-pickled things I actually love.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:34 pm

I, too, ate a Trader Joe's canned dolma because I guess everyone and their sister saw them and brought them. It didn't rock my world.

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:18 pm

maladroit wrote:Camp beacon next year will be a head of lettuce on a 20 foot pole.
challenge accepted!

I have literally (LITERALLY!) eaten at least one salad every single day since I've been back. iceberg wedges preferably, though I'll take what I can get when I'm away from home.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Dry ice and strawberries make effervescent strawberries!

Dry ice and avocados make effervescent avocados...

Now I just bring a huge chest freezer full of bacon, ice cream, and chocolate.
It was better next year. -Burners

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Felt the cooler weather in 2015 was easier on the food supplies generally. I ate more hot meals which I used to avoid.
New items on my success list:
Jar of kimchi (smells bad to some, but put a scoop in your ramen noodles...)
Dry seaweed snacks (same as above)
Dressed up ramen: add a handful of veggies, soy packet, red pepper packet, seaweed + kimchi and you're feeling pretty posh in under 3 minutes.
Backpacker meals, just add hot water: normally I don't like them but the newer brands are pretty good, a quick hot meal on the morning of tear-down.
Quesadilla with tuna, bacon, or any leftover anything your campmates offer you. Put it with cheese in a tortilla. Bomb.

Fails: cooked a frozen pizza at home and ziplock-bagged it in the cooler: Got stale and gross too quick. I have done the same technique with a "real" pizza and it works great. Frozen pizza not so much.
Tub of peanut butter cups: Melted in the sun. With the paper wrappers on them. Re-congealed into to tempting but inedible pile of chocolate/peanut butter/tissue paper.
I always take a batch of veggies, carrots, cucumbers, peppers... This year I sliced them at home---they spoiled much quicker on playa. I won't pre-slice my veggies next time.
Cereal and milk. Just wasn't appealing.

Akela
Camp Name: Kamp Suckie Fuckaye

Post by Akela » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:26 am

What worked... we got on the vacuum sealer train this year, and it was great. My fiance is a wonderful cook, but it's always so unappealing to do on playa, so our meals in the past have usually been pretty simple and plain. But this year we had:

--vegetarian sweet potato chili, spiced to perfection
--Israeli couscous salad with feta cheese
--Quinoa with Mexican spices, mixed with black beans and vegetables
--Pasta with a homemade vegetarian red sauce already mixed in
--at least one other dish that I can't remember specifically but was equally awesome

She made huge batches of all of those in advance, sealed and labelled them individually, and kept us fed like royalty all week. We just kept boiling packets in the same dusty water in the same dusty pot, and never had to do any real prep or dishes. There were always people very happy to eat our delicious leftovers, when there were any. Nothing spilled or spoiled in the cooler, their frozen mass helped keep our fresh stuff cold-ish, meals could be hot or thawed out to pleasant coolness, and we had the perfect amount to the point that we ate our last one just before we left the playa after 12 days. It really was an ideal method, especially when rounded out with some fresh salads, cereal with soy milk, and salty snacks. Pretty much the one thing that we cooked from scratch (and it was barely any work) was super incredible fully loaded quesadillas--three layers of tortillas, with corn chips inside for crunchiness, beans, grilled peppers, onions, lots of cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole. Amazing. It's astounding what real, non-packaged, and varied food served hot when you want it without any significant effort does for your mood when it's cold and dusty out. All you guys subsisting on granola bars and dehydrated meals, you're missing out on easy simple pleasures.

What didn't work... Dick's Burgers is a famous and very popular budget chain in Seattle, which only operates these classic walk-up restaurants and sells fresh beef hamburgers for like $2.70. As a joke/experiment/gift, my vegetarian fiance bought a burger and fries before the burn, threw them straight in the vacuum sealer and then the freezer, then brought them to the playa to celebrate my birthday. The result, upon being boiled, was sort of like a burger-and-fry paste that had most of the right flavor notes if you combined every one of them in every bite and made them noticeably shittier. It was just too silly and unsettling for me to eat. We left it out on the kitchen table for scavengers, and sure enough someone in our camp ate a bag of reheated Dick's. Good memories, not such great sustenance.

Drinks... for the first time this year we had a little water cooler thing. I don't know why we never had one before. Ice cold water whenever we wanted it, in an upright container with a spigot, was such a novelty. We are fools and use Culligan bottles as our water supply every year despite their massive inconvenience, so this was a big improvement. Booze-wise we mostly like to cruise the neighborhood and find surprises, but around camp we consumed a few bottles of Kraken rum (at times in hot chocolate) and a couple six packs. We also drank way more cheap champagne this year than normal, which was likely the result of us just not trying to hide our love for André and buying four bottles of it like adults...and me secretly buying six more bottles for when I proposed on Thursday evening at a huge surprise party I organized. :wink:

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:38 pm

This one's for Ygmir.

[media]

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:42 am

At 21:30, the bar he can't figure out is halvah. I could read it earlier on the packet. Made from sesame seeds and sugar syrup, it provides one hell of a caloric punch and is really tasty. Other nuts can be used, but sesame is the most common.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:06 pm

This year I finally broke down and used our camp microwave which I always thought was ridiculous. Fuck yeah, instant hot ramen! mmmmmm.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:56 pm

I just heat water for ramen from the hot water tap on my camp's commercial espresso machine. Excessive you say? Not at all!!
It was better next year. -Burners

Return to “Food & Drink”