Food/Drink: What worked - what didnt

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: What worked - what didnt

Postby tatonka » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:09 pm

my homemade shower worked once , then the wind knocked it over :( ended up just sponge bathing while standing on the pallet in the evap pond.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Postby 666isMONEY » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:32 pm

tatonka wrote:my homemade shower worked once , then the wind knocked it over :( ended up just sponge bathing while standing on the pallet in the evap pond.

I'm really good at sponge bathing but use a bandana . . . wash face & hair first (use shampoo with conditioner, saves rinsing twice) . . . I use only a gallon of water in a round plastic oil drainpan (or dishpan) -- never used except for bathing and mixing dough for bread. Save water for washing feet. Did it every day. Also soaked ratty dress in the water and put it on to cool off. The water can also evaporatively cool beer. (Tricks I learned living in a VW Bus for several years.)

ChrissyP
Burning Since: 2012

Postby ChrissyP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:38 pm

I brought a propane water heater with a battery powered pump, deep cycle battery etc... did not have time to test it before I left, and found on playa that the pump was not powerful enough to push the water through my hoses..... fortunately, I also brought a 2 gallon garden sprayer! That was pretty magnificent!

folded a large towel in half, placed it in the bottom of my little pool, and used the garden sprayer (without the long nozzle as it just worked better for me that way) to wet myself down as I knelt or sat on the towel. lather, rinse ahhhhh, clean and sweet! I also brought a little step stool that my husband used as a seat when he bathed... once done with your bath, hang the towel to dry, and you are left with no gray water! I bathed every day and washed my hair the first 6 of 10 days we were there! Another thing that worked was the lemongrass/ginger massage scrub that we used instead of soap. Delightful fragrance and left your skin just lightly oiled...

The other thing we tried this year that worked extremely well was the dish washing system I learned from you all here.... (and we had a chef in our camp and ate extremely well every single day! Real food which generated pots & pans to be washed...) When a person was finished using their personal plate, it was wiped into the compost can with a paper towel, then spritzed from the 'dish soap' spray bottle, wiped over with a wet paper towel, and then spray rinsed with the clean water spray bottle... I put just a tiny bit of bleach and dish soap into the spray bottle and filled it the rest of the way up with water. It was extremely effective... every one in camp having their own personal dishes and utensils was perfect.... I was happy to wash the few extra sets that were used for guests.

I was very happy with that.... lastly, this year's gray water solution was better too...... obviously, we generated less gray water, and we evaporated what we could, but, I was gifted early in the year with two large blue plastic containers that had held some kind of pool supply. The containers had a large opening and screw top. I kept one in camp until it was half full or so, then moved it into the back of the utility trailer while it was still light enough to move easily, then started the second. I would say that I may have brought home 35 to 40 gallons, but that was for a camp of 10 full time residents, and our kids camp that visited for showers and meals every day... there were 5 more of those, and we had guests at every meal. All in all, it worked quite well.
Work is Love Made Visible. KG

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm

We bought two Harbor Freight 9'X12' painter's tarps for ground covers, put grommets every couple feet and nailed them down to the playa before putting up the 12'X20' conduit shade. The grommets may have been overkill as we put the tent stakes right through the material. Forgot about stakingthe tent and the ground tarp. Had to improvise and trust. It worked! We took our shoes off when walking on the tarps. We tracked barely any dust onto them, and our tent (without any mesh covering) stayed super dust free.

We had tarp walls and end caps on the conduit shade that totally held up in the minimal wind, so we were probably extra dust free as a result.

I loved those painter's tarps. Credit to my wife on that one!

I had mentioned the Exped Downmat for a sleeping pad. They provide proven backpacking comfort, but they are a bit pricey for single purpose use. My wife and I each have one and we added a queen memory foam pad underneath. We even had another little R1 mat under all of that. We slept better than ever, and we are getting rid of the inflatable mattresses that we had previously used for car-based tent camping. No bouncing awake when your partner gets up to pee at night. Amazing!

I had some things break immediately.

Those little fold up soccer mom type chairs - one went down immediately. It was old and free, so yeah - shit happens. Snow Peak (who makes the awesome 15" stakes we used for guying shit down) also makes a bomber yet pricey camp chair for like $80. I want one or two. They feel like sitting in, well, a chair - solid. My wind-up radio antenna broke the first day. That was a bummer because we were enjoying listening to BMIR all the way up and felt like we could have got some good instant beta on events or whatever. Will grab a battery powered transistor radio type thing for the future.

That's about enough from me, lol.

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:40 pm

ok, ONE more thing.

someone just mentioned the garden sprayer shower

so, that was pretty damn sexy ... you know, being the shower 'head'

i leave it there, lol

ChrissyP

Postby ChrissyP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm

shower head/long nozzle..... and I repeat, 'it just worked better that way!'

PS: I brought enough of those big towels so that my personal family all had their own color... that was a good plan too.... personal responsibility, and no one else sitting on my towel.......

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 pm

What worked:
Pre-made breakfast burritos. Someone suggested these on a food thread, and since I (a) make them for myself at home anyway, (b) am always craving eggs but don't want to cook them on the playa, and (c) hate the store-bought premade because they use cheese & crappy vegan chorizo, I cooked up a batch. They were heaven, I had 1 a day plus one extra (that I got to share in a moment of ginger-bonding with an adorable boy), and are now a definite from here on out.

Lots of snack foods - more chips & salsa, and it's time to figure out a way to use sauerkraut that doesn't involve cooking (brined sauerkraut, not the nasty vinegar stuff). I had the right amount of pickles, but could always add one more jar. (One of my favorite moments was introducing real brined pickles to someone who thought that vinegar was the only way to make them. The look on his face was priceless, and he kept asking for more. Sad thing is, he's a chef and he had no idea that pickles are traditionally brined. He thought "pickling" meant vinegar. Ugh.)

Having my night clothes chosen in advance, laid out by night I would wear them & kept in garment bags. Everything was clean until I put it on, everything stayed organized.

What didn't work:
My laundry. 8 years in & I still haven't figured out a way to make this work so that it's not just an enormous bag of mess. I'm spending some brain-time on this before next year.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:00 pm

lol, i can't stop

yes to garment bags

never had i been on a camping trip with clothes in garment bags

but i had never brought a vintage tux camping either, haha

--

another organizational gods send ... a hanging shoe organizer thing.

hung it from one of the conduit beams

we stuffed everything in it from car keys to mirrors, lights, batteria and other little accessorries

ChrissyP

Postby ChrissyP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 pm

My house was an 18 x 20 carport, carpeted, etc... we have a window wall on the outside, and I use mesh with tapestry for the wall that faces towards the rest of our camp (Living room, etc.)... We bring a 6' closet pole and hang it from the cross-rafters, skinny side to the prevailing winds. We brought our outfits on hangers and bagged bunches together for the trip... once on-playa, we took them out of the bags for easy viewing. I was so happy to find perfect folks for lots and lots and lots of good stuff that I did not have to bring home. I had 6 bins of outfits, and the 6' closet pole for hang up stuff. Inside of our house stayed so dust free that when I took the bags off of stuff yesterday, it was fine. I wore one of my blouses out last evening when we went to see John Hiatt play! (I was able to gift 2 full bins and about 2' worth of hanging stuff before we left HOME for home....)

ChrissyP

Postby ChrissyP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 pm

PS: hanging the closet pole from the rafters with rope allows it to sway with the winds. I use additional 1" x 10' emt conduit over rebar posts to strengthen the windward wall of the 18 x 20.... we also park our truck behind that as a wind block. You can set the charger for your solar string lights into the opening of the emt conduit and duct tape before you lift it into place.......

I loved the squeaky sound of the closet swaying in the winds... Monday night (9/2) had the most best sounds...... lovelovelove!

I LOVE your shoe bag idea!

delle

Postby delle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:44 pm

We also had shoe pockets and hanging clothes this year. What a difference!!!

I also got a hanging shelf for larger things (collapses to flat) and a few collapsible-to-flat fabric covered boxes.

The boxes, which lived on both sides of the bed were also a fantastic addition. We kept our books, reading glasses, lights, meds, earplugs and eyemasks, etc. in them... so no fumbling for stuff. Also no forgetting the meds as it's the first and last place you look each day.

I was really glad to get the Clear Plastic shoe pockets. I made a special trip for them just before leaving even tho I already had perfectly fine cloth ones already in my possession. Problem with cloth is you never know what's in there...
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I love the way that huge chunks of this thread are not about food...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

delle

Postby delle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Oops.

There was at least one cliff bar in the shoe-pockets and mints in at least my box.

The toilet paper lived on one of the shelves to deal with the aftermath of food.

All those things were handy too.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Eric wrote:
What didn't work:
My laundry. 8 years in & I still haven't figured out a way to make this work so that it's not just an enormous bag of mess. I'm spending some brain-time on this before next year.

Burn barrel.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Eric wrote:
What didn't work:

Burn barrel.

Eric loves his suits, very much.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

coiled key chain. I put my pocket knife on it, and hooked one end to a belt loop by my pocket. Every time I used that knife, I thought to myself, "neat." It isn't the first burn I've had this, but it felt like the first burn where I needed to use the knife a lot.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Postby TomServo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh Yeah!! NEMO HELIO Camp shower was AWESOME!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:50 pm

TomServo wrote:Oh Yeah!! NEMO HELIO Camp shower was AWESOME!

The Lady with a Lamprey

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:54 pm

What worked:
Pre-made breakfast burritos. Someone suggested these on a food thread, and since I (a) make them for myself at home anyway, (b) am always craving eggs but don't want to cook them on the playa, and (c) hate the store-bought premade because they use cheese & crappy vegan chorizo, I cooked up a batch. They were heaven, I had 1 a day plus one extra (that I got to share in a moment of ginger-bonding with an adorable boy), and are now a definite from here on out.

Lots of snack foods - more chips & salsa, and it's time to figure out a way to use sauerkraut that doesn't involve cooking (brined sauerkraut, not the nasty vinegar stuff). I had the right amount of pickles, but could always add one more jar. (One of my favorite moments was introducing real brined pickles to someone who thought that vinegar was the only way to make them. The look on his face was priceless, and he kept asking for more. Sad thing is, he's a chef and he had no idea that pickles are traditionally brined. He thought "pickling" meant vinegar. Ugh.)

Having my night clothes chosen in advance, laid out by night I would wear them & kept in garment bags. Everything was clean until I put it on, everything stayed organized.

What didn't work:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Having done this since 96, ive pretty much worked through the what worked/what didnt work items. Ive had an rv since 05, so I dont have many issues. But some things work regardless of how you camp.

Beef jerky. I make it at home, and brought about 6 pounds of it. Always a great snack.
Powdered Gatorade.
A single gallon pastic water container to make fresh sun tea.
Solar panels for the rv.
Pre cooked bacon. Buy fresh bacon at home, cook it in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes. Wrap in foil and freeze.
This year I bought a pod belt. Absolutely the best investment for the playa. I tend to loose anything that isnt physically attached to me, especially at night. The pod belt solved this problem.
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 pm

What didn't work: the cheapo coffee maker! I grabbed a bottom-of-the-line cheapo shitty one for the playa - holy crap I didn't know they even made them this shitty! It sucked not having good coffee... and then, at the end of the week, I learned the camp next door was serving coffee every morning!
Next year I'm bringing my K-cup machine. What the fuck was I thinking leaving that behind??
I had such awful coffee this year! I had to put a lot of whiskey and tequila and irish cream and kahlua in it just to be able to drink it. A few times I was almost temped to drink water!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Eric? You're repeating yourself...
The Lady with a Lamprey

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 pm

It's eplaya being playa

The post was way better next time, etc.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:31 am

burp, For thread notice..

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Eric? You're repeating yourself...

Weirdest eplaya burp ever. I was away from my computer doing work, came back & it showed that it never posted, so I hit "submit" again. Yay, anomalies!

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

RosieTahoe

Postby RosieTahoe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I brought three jars of pickles (I love pickles) thinking that it MUST be overkill, and instead... I wished I had had a jar for every day! *Next year....

I dehydrated chopped tomatoes, onions, and peppers the week before BM and then added them to fresh eggs, and cheese that we had in our "fridge" cooler, wrapped it all up in a tortilla and we had delicious breakfast burritos that we ended up eating most mornings!

We had waaaaaay too many bars (protein bars, granola bars, milk and cereal bars) - just never seemed to want those... Individual packs of Nutter Butters though... pretty much finished them off between our consumption and sharing them with whoever was in the vicinity.

From an equipment standpoint, I have to thank Illy Dilly for his awesome huge tent suggestion in my introductory thread almost a year ago... that tent was PIMP! My husband was thrilled he could actually stand up when getting dressed, and there was just so much room to move around, even with our copious amounts of stuff. It really felt like a home :)

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:37 pm

RosieTahoe wrote:From an equipment standpoint, I have to thank Illy Dilly for his awesome huge tent suggestion in my introductory thread almost a year ago... that tent was PIMP! My husband was thrilled he could actually stand up when getting dressed, and there was just so much room to move around, even with our copious amounts of stuff. It really felt like a home :)

big tent yay! I was going to keep this one clean this year, and just use my tent cot in the main shade area. Partway in, I wanted private standing space in the morning, and to get the clothes gear out from underfoot in the shade. This tent was great. although it has mesh, the full coverage rain fly kept it very clean. Thanks to Bobbin for suggesting to anchor the rainfly sides close in to the tent (airflow is dust flow.)
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:24 pm

What worked:

Hexayurt, of course.

$400 refurbished Champion generator...was super quiet, even compared to campmate's EU2000i.

FIGJAM swamp cooler.

Thick, fluffy queen-sized shikibuton.

Side-zipper combat boots, thin liner socks, thick outer socks.

Mongoose Beast fat bikes.

Hand pump for 5 gallon water jug.

Leaving on Tuesday for a quick trip to Reno to pick someone up.

What didn't work:

Cheap plastic bins...used more space than cardboard boxes, and were less durable.

Ground tarp for hexayurt was too small and needs to be heavy-duty to stand up to constant foot traffic.

Not grasping immensity of packing problem until too late.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Postby TomServo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:35 pm

best playa bike Ive ever had.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 pm

TomServo wrote:best playa bike Ive ever had.

I'd agree, and add that they aren't much good for anything else :)

Return to “Food & Drink”