Bringing Homebrew to Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Re: Bringing Homebrew to Burning Man

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Don't miss Homebrew4AHomebrew Camp 8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

DT Time Machine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp High Standards

Post by DT Time Machine » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 am

Well here is that homebrew tour I mentioned previously:

Tutu Tuesday

10:00- 10:45- [7:45 & E] Primate Playground: NoPa Coffee Cocktail Event (Meet Up spot)
11:00- 12:00- [7:30 & B] Orphan/Endorphin
12:15- 1:15- [7:15 & C] Camp Phil in the Blank/ Wrong Town
1:30- 2:30- [5:45 & H] Camp High Standards
2:45- 3:45- [4:00 & Center Camp] Homebrew 4A Homebrew
4:00-5:00- [3:15 & A] HomeBrauHaus
5:15-6:15- [3:00 & D] Black Rock Brewery

(Times are subject to change once we get going)

Hope to see some of you there!
DT

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Bumping to 2015. I am a Playa virgin, but plan on bringing as many kegs of homebrew as I can. I figure its my easiest gift to give out on the playa.

I have 8 kegs and will try to get a bunch of stuff made before the festival. I will have 5 gallon corny kegs, and was thinking of maybe a jockey box setup on a bike trailer and keep the kegs in the hexayurt during the day. Either that or pouring brews at camp or sharing. Right now I am in my early stages of planning, but I hope to have a coffee stout (Founders clone), lemon lime hefeweizen, grape juice pyment, oaked cherry apfelwein, pale ale, double ipa and a few others.

Still figuring out the battleplan at this point, but I will have some homebrew for certain. I can bring cases of bottles if i have room after getting everything packed.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:29 am

One thing to consider with a travelling keg/jockey box is how to deal with waste beer or leaks, etc. Nothing should hit the playa other than clean ice melt. We seem to generate quite a mess in our camp bar but have 5 gallon buckets and ground tarps to keep it off the playa. It'd suck to get out into deep playa and find a fitting or tap handle rattled loose and left a giant beer trail. :D Also foam and people dumping their drinks/ice out of their cup will need someplace to go.

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 am

The beer is brewed, kegged and carbonated! I'm excited to be bringing my homebrew to the playa this year!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

mudpuppy000

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:21 am

chuckularone wrote:The beer is brewed, kegged and carbonated! I'm excited to be bringing my homebrew to the playa this year!
Nice! I have 7/10 of mine done. Just dry hopping an IPA and finishing up a peach pale ale and a peach/grape/cranberry/apple/coconut water cider.

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:26 am

Very nice! Wish I could bring more, but coming in from the east coast makes it a bit tough.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:28 am

My KBS coffee stout is kegged and amazing. 3 months sitting on nibs, vanilla and bourbon soaked chips, then 3 weeks dry hopped with coffee. 1.112-1.030 = 10.5%. Definitely one of my best beers ever and I will sample some before the burn, but will try and avoid it. It is a total sipper. I have to keg my pliny clone and citra saison this week, and need to add the limeaid to my lemon lime hefeweizen and keg my pyment. Still staying busy, but all the brewing is done at least.

No clue where I will be camping yet, and slightly worried about the early pub crawl in the desert. I can be a lightweight and have had some dehydrated wasted experiences before in my time. I am still planning on the beer cart idea, just need to make a lid for my 10 gallon water cooler for the keg to sit in and test out the cart.

I guess I will plan for a nap Tuesday night a minimum.

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 am

You might consider bringing your beer and doing a bartending shift at Vünderbar!

Sextant has been placed at 6:30 & Esplanade :shock: :wink:

Sarge

mudpuppy000

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:24 am

rideincircles wrote:My KBS coffee stout is kegged and amazing. 3 months sitting on nibs, vanilla and bourbon soaked chips, then 3 weeks dry hopped with coffee. 1.112-1.030 = 10.5%. Definitely one of my best beers ever and I will sample some before the burn, but will try and avoid it. It is a total sipper. I have to keg my pliny clone and citra saison this week, and need to add the limeaid to my lemon lime hefeweizen and keg my pyment. Still staying busy, but all the brewing is done at least.

No clue where I will be camping yet, and slightly worried about the early pub crawl in the desert. I can be a lightweight and have had some dehydrated wasted experiences before in my time. I am still planning on the beer cart idea, just need to make a lid for my 10 gallon water cooler for the keg to sit in and test out the cart.

I guess I will plan for a nap Tuesday night a minimum.
So sounds like the 1.03 is working out ok? I'm doing a bourbon county stout clone that is sloooowly creeping down past 1.05. Not sure I will be able to get it to the target gravity. That one is going to age for a while in a bourbon barrel. Might make it out to the playa next year. :D Was it 1.03 before or after you added coffee?

BTW, 5 gallons will go frighteningly fast if you let it. Maybe serve it in shot glasses so people don't drink you dry in 30 min. :D

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 am

The KBS is crazy thick and dark, you can pick up all the notes of the flavors in there and its got crazy coffee aroma. 1.030 seems to work pretty well on this one. I shot way past the target gravity and am totally happy with the results.

The KBS will be hiding away at my camp for a while and I will try for small pours on that one, Pliny may get the same treatment. The Citra saison and lemon lime hefe will be the ones to go quick early in the week, but I will try and not pour giant pours. I need to keep a backup supply of some cans for a worst case scenario for my camp, but I assume there will be places to go if I run out. Will play it by ear if I let any camps distribute brew.

Still need to make my swamp cooler so I can chill a beer keg with it. Most likely I will keep my kegs in the hexayurt until needed.

I will probably bring a growler also, and may bring a few of the beefiest bottles I have if I want to transport a small amount anywhere. The anti mooping device for bottles will be socks.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Ok, now that everyone is done brewing their homebrew (or at least have it in the primary fermenter) what are you bringing to the Playa?

I'm bringing 5 kegs consisting of some big flavorful brews:

Bacon Smoked Red Ale - (yeah, I said Bacon)
Tequila double IPA - (2 of my favorite things)
Chipotle Smoked Imperial Porter - (nice & smoky but not too spicy)
A Stout that may become an Espresso Stout - (Mmmmmm beer, mmmmm Coffee)
and a Pumpkin Spiced Amber Ale - (This may be the beer that I greet each Playa sunrise with)

I'm making a new Jockey box which should be tapping nice cold brew all day while it lasts :-)

Stop by Snowflake Village @ 9:30 & Esplanade. Come for the beer, stay for the Speed Dating :mrgreen:

Yes, I need a date.........
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “Food & Drink”