Burner Express Water

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Burner Express Water

Post by unjonharley » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 am

A semi truck loaded with 2.5 gal. water suitcases..

Or each E playain bring two to share with the buser's..

Or sell water suit cases at the ice stations..

Water seem to be the big hold up for the Burner Express..

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Re: Burner Express Water

Post by chuckularone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Was that supposed to be a reply to something, or just a massive non-sequitor?
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:05 pm

I believe it is a serious proposal, for a way to make the burner express more useful.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Though there's this whole self-reliance type thing, a centralized at-event sale system for water products would go a long way towards reducing pollution, vehicles, etc. Then again, it might mean that the space people used to dedicate to water would instead go towards extra infrastructure, instead of people, etc. I think it'd be a benefit nonetheless.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:35 pm

I was thinking it would make the Burner Express more attractive and less of a struggle.

The Rod
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by The Rod » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:22 pm

BBadger wrote:Though there's this whole self-reliance type thing, a centralized at-event sale system for water products would go a long way towards reducing pollution, vehicles, etc. Then again, it might mean that the space people used to dedicate to water would instead go towards extra infrastructure, instead of people, etc. I think it'd be a benefit nonetheless.
Well there sort of is this thing already, though not really centralized. Meco in Reno will definitely deliver water into your own container or rent you theirs at the event if you reserve it ahead of time. viewtopic.php?f=276&t=63898

Doesn't make a whole lot sense for one person coming in on a bus to reserve a huge tank full of water to be waiting for them but for maybe for someone riding on the bus to organize with other riders?

Anecdote: Last year our camp had a 230 gallon tank that we wanted filled. I called Meco about two weeks out and was told that they couldn't make any more reservations, and they gave me a number (which I don't have anymore :roll:) for another company called Sierra Springs or something. I was also told by the nice lady on the phone that especially because we were EA if we saw a Meco truck driving around to flag 'em down and they would fill up our tank for a dollar a gallon.

I called the other company but they would only make water deliveries by the cases of little bottles which we wanted nothing to do with. So our plan was to flag down a Meco truck in the first couple days while we were setting up. Plan B: if no water truck materialized by opening (Sunday) night someone would drive the now unloaded and lighter trailer to Gerlach, fill the tank and drive back.

The best part though was sometime on Saturday morning a big red tanker truck came driving by with "Potable H20" written on the side. I flagged it down and the guy filled our tank right away for only 50 cents a gallon. Think his name was Jimmy and he was a local who owned his own truck and filled up at the same spot in Gerlach where the Meco trucks do. Said the Meco guys didn't much like him undercutting and stealing their business. He charges half price they do and still makes thousands in that one week...

Just the one truck and he sticks mostly to the 9:00 side and unfortunately didn't save his number either... :roll:

Edit: I do agree with BBadger in the sense that despite the whole 'sel-reliance' shtick if more people were aware of and used services like Meco and Jimmy and it became more prevalent there is the potential for more room in vehicles and plans for more cool shit. Especially as the number of vehicles becomes more of an issue and it gets more important for burners to try and maximize space in vehicles and trailers.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:55 am

The biggest thing holding me back from taking the Burner Express is the struggle over whether the luggage allotment will be enough for water. I can get my food, shelter and other supplies in one large duffle, but I'm worried about the water. I suppose I could do cooler + ice melt.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

lulu_Mou

Post by lulu_Mou » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 am

What if Burner express peeps share resources........
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 am

Two gallons of water per person per day or 5 suitcases of water times express riders =?

Using forty rides would be 200: 2.5gal suitcase of water.. Or one hell of a ice (melt) line times how many buses?

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 am

lulu_Mou wrote:What if Burner express peeps share resources........
Great minds think alike.
I'm working on a plan for a Burner Express theme camp. Working name- "Express Lot"
Details to follow. Collaborators welcome!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 am

Or participants taking the bus could do the same thing everybody else does and bring their own water. As the FAQ mentions, Burner Express passengers can load their food and water onto the truck that accompanies each truck. It's not hard to do.

Once you get to BRC, there's a shuttle that runs along boulevard G between 3 and 9 (the Express station is at around 6:15) to get people closer to their camp destination. From there you could make multiple trips and/or recruit your friends, neighbors, and campmates to help you haul your stuff.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:45 am

Highway congestion is the camel's nose in the tent for the Burner Express luggage check, Burner Express luggage cart and wagon rental, the Burner Express uber, bus to door and door to bus.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

guidance

Post by guidance » Mon May 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Hello!
Virgin burners here, also concerned about getting enough water on the burner express!! There are a couple of burner express options via Reno that stop at the Save Mart - do u think that what u pick up there is included in the luggage allowance?? I was hoping to get a few 5 gallon barrels en route! Probably not suitcase - sized!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 pm

guidance wrote:There are a couple of burner express options via Reno that stop at the Save Mart - do u think that what u pick up there is included in the luggage allowance?? I was hoping to get a few 5 gallon barrels en route! Probably not suitcase - sized!
From the phrasing it looks like they are considered part of your total allowed luggage, but I would use the Burner Express support form to get an official answer. We can only guess here.

Burner Express Support
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 am

The grocery store burner express bus stop sells boxes that contain 6 one gallon jugs for ~$6. 6 gallons weight 48Lbs and 2 boxes take up the size of a large suitcase. stop over guessing this stuff, its not that serious. Bring a hand truck so you can transport your water from the bus stop to your camp site. I have one that can collapse down and fit in my large suitcase. Its able to carry 150 lbs. I ran the idea of water being available at the playa to the org, but it seems it didn't catch on. Maybe next year.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

guidance

Post by guidance » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:31 pm

NikkiG wrote:The grocery store burner express bus stop sells boxes that contain 6 one gallon jugs for ~$6. 6 gallons weight 48Lbs and 2 boxes take up the size of a large suitcase. stop over guessing this stuff, its not that serious. Bring a hand truck so you can transport your water from the bus stop to your camp site. I have one that can collapse down and fit in my large suitcase. Its able to carry 150 lbs. I ran the idea of water being available at the playa to the org, but it seems it didn't catch on. Maybe next year.
Thanks NikkiG! Good advice! :-D

NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks, a guy on a New York Burner site helped me to realize the importance of a hand truck!
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:06 am

What next? A hamburger stand? A couple of years ago in Center Camp on the questionnaire/census they asked if you would like more things for sale at the burn. Ummm, NO. Pretty soon everyone would be carrying money. That leads to a whole new set of problems. Plus. Isn't it hard enough to get a ticket already. The more obstacles you remove, the easier you make it for ravers. BTW Why don't people post, "I need someone to transport my water. Will chip in for gas." That's what I would do. Not all those cars in Fernley are packed to the gills. Some people would love to make a few extra bucks for carrying water the last leg of the journey.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Food & Drink”