Beer Preparation

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Camscrub
Burning Since: 2014

Beer Preparation

Post by Camscrub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 am

Flying into Sacramento, CA on the Friday before BM - I've done some research and I cannot find anything definitive. Are they any Sacramento residents that can confirm whether or not local grocery stores sell Yuengling beer!? :)

I'm a bit of a beer snob and would prefer to buy locally if they offer it in CA (their website suggests no) - otherwise, I'll be shipping it ahead of me. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Beer Preparation

Post by Token » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Camscrub

Post by Camscrub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm

I checked that and it seems no; however, a FB friend said he saw it being offered in one of the local grocery stores. So I figured I'd throw it out to eplaya! Thanks though!

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm

I have never found Yuengling that far west. Their only breweries are in Pennsylvania and Florida. Furthermore, finding the cans is even harder in my experience. I'm looking now for a case for the weekend, and the three places that I've tried so far near me only have the bottles.

And not to knock yuengling, because I love it, but you can find better canned bears out in Reno than Yuengling and the amount you would save on shipping would easily offset any difference in price.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

I have seen Yuengling at Total Wine & More in Roseville, but only in bottles, and only seasonal at that. You'd have a better chance at finding Leininkugels or Strohs before Yuengling, but good luck!

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:18 pm

I was actually going to recommend you go to the Total Wine & More. They'll take orders and you can have it waiting for you. Check out their website for the correct location and then spend a few awesome months doing a blind canned beer taste test. Then when you find one you like, have them order and hold it for you.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Camscrub

Post by Camscrub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:25 pm

VultureChow wrote:And not to knock yuengling, because I love it, but you can find better canned bears out in Reno than Yuengling and the amount you would save on shipping would easily offset any difference in price.
That's an excellent point - any recommendations from someone that likes Yuengling as well?

Camscrub

Post by Camscrub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

VultureChow wrote:I was actually going to recommend you go to the Total Wine & More. They'll take orders and you can have it waiting for you. Check out their website for the correct location and then spend a few awesome months doing a blind canned beer taste test. Then when you find one you like, have them order and hold it for you.
Another excellent idea - I'm checking them out now - thank you very much!

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

They also have locations on the east coat. One of my favorite stores here in Jersey.

Off the top of my head, for an easy drinking canned beer that's a couple of steps above your typical american lager?

Stella Artois comes in cans these days.
Mama's Little Yella Pils is a bit hoppier but I like pilsners.
I found Shock Top in cans at the costco in Reno and that was a lovely playa beer.
Sic Semper Spectatores

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Additional question in this thread... amount?

Quality over quantity... or vice versa?

Thinking of bringing 5 30 racks of Rainier (to share) and a private bar (not to share).

Anyone have any experience with quantities that worked well for them?

Cheers :coffee: <<<(Not coffee)

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:22 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:Additional question in this thread... amount?

Quality over quantity... or vice versa?

Thinking of bringing 5 30 racks of Rainier (to share) and a private bar (not to share).

Anyone have any experience with quantities that worked well for them?

Cheers :coffee: <<<(Not coffee)
I'm a heavy beer drinker and I generally bring a 12 pack for each day on the playa + 2 more just in case. Once the sun sets I switch to straight bourbon or vodka, so that is just for day time consumption. Beer when wandering the playa at night is a just an avenue to be looking for a porto potty all the time.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks man, def good thinking on the Jots.

Also, your survival guide is awesome. Thank you for the gift :D

Return to “Food & Drink”