soylent

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

soylent

Post by tatonka » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Re: soylent

Post by Monkeystyle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:33 pm

I looked into this months ago. Perfect for people that hate enjoying meals...

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:I looked into this months ago. Perfect for people that hate enjoying meals...

:) ill pass also
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am

This is a joke right?
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:10 am

It does sound a lot like "toilet".
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:33 am

It looks legit, but I don't spend $9 a day to eat!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Too much, Figgy? 8)

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:02 pm

brings a whole new meaning to "eat me"
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Sham wrote:Too much, Figgy? 8)
Seems steep to me!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Woof :(
Soy has lots of plant estrogens. Want to sing soprano?
Let GOOD win!

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:34 pm

All I can think about is Soylent Green.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:51 pm

pink wrote:All I can think about is Soylent Green.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE per Charlton Histton

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:39 pm

[media]

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:52 pm

we can't order it in Canada yet.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:14 pm

I can't bring myself to order it in the US..

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Just ordered a week's supply (smallest order they fill), but it won't get here till after the burn. Sad times. I'll let you guys know how it is, though!
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:46 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Just ordered a week's supply (smallest order they fill), but it won't get here till after the burn. Sad times. I'll let you guys know how it is, though!
Hopefully it's nobody you knew. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm not a picky eater but I still want food.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:32 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Just ordered a week's supply (smallest order they fill), but it won't get here till after the burn. Sad times. I'll let you guys know how it is, though!
I think you're better off waiting until after the burn anyways. the last thing you want out there is to react negatively to a huge dietary shift or the ingredients while you are there or getting ready to head there on top of the environmental stresses that you will already be under.... also.... apparently the taste sucks... try adding bacon.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Probably tastes like liquid chicken. But what happens if your water supply is compromised?
Worse yet, I don't have a blender. :coffee: :coffee:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:55 am

It looks intriguing, but I would strongly recommend that anyone coming to the playa not use it as the place to try a new and different diet. Aside from potential medical or allergy issues, it's probably the last place you want to spend a week in the bathroom or dealing with severe gas or digestive issues.

Beatwrangler

Post by Beatwrangler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 am

Utter garbage - I remember chasing this up when they first announced it. It is essentially just a meal replacement formula and in that respect..no different to teh hundreds of other, much cheaper, tried and tested options that exist elsewhere.

There is no magic gimmick to this stuff beyond the name - which is very clever as it has clearly sparked a ton of debate (free advertising) and the outrageous claims of being able to live on this alone....ok maybe you can....but jesus why would you want to? I'll probably take some dry whey protein out to BM because it's a good, healthy source of protein which sates appetite and provides and essential macronutrien ina very bioavailable form. But this stuff..like whey - is really just a supplement.

I mean wow.... this is from their website "Creator Robert Rhinehart and team developed Soylent after recognizing the disproportionate amount of time and money they spent creating nutritionally complete meals."

Disproportionate to what exactly? If you don;t have a nutritionally complete diet, you eventually suffer adverse health effects - from mild but uncomfortable digestive issues or other relatively minor medical complaints - right the way through to death. How is ANY amount of time disproportionate to being healthy?

I think that should probably read...."...developed soylent after recognising how they were too damn lazy to put the effort in to look after their own health and well being..plus they spotted that many other people are like that too..yay niche market!".

I do research around sports supplements (amongst other things) for a living and I can honestly say...having read around this product a lot..I wouldn't touch it if it came free.

rmc50

Post by rmc50 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd be interested to know if you ever actually get product and if you do if it is legit.

I can't believe that anyone would seriously create a a "total meal" food concept like this at all, and if they did why on Earth they would name it "Soylent".

I suppose next they will create a non-vegetarian version and call if Soylent Green?

For those who aren't old enough to get the reference, "Soylent Green" was the name of a movie (1973) where due to overpopulation most of the people are existing on a food known as "Soylent" The most popular is "Soylent Green", and at the end of the movie you learn what Soylent Green is actually made of...

Rod

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 pm

rmc50 wrote:I suppose next they will create a non-vegetarian version and call if Soylent Green?
The current version is non-vegetarian (it uses fish oil). They give you alternatives to use to make it vegetarian (the oil is added to the powder separately). Yes, it's real. It was created by a person who thinks of food as unprocessed poop, and apparently tastes like you would expect from that kind of person, while having the texture of sludge. Yum-Yum!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Just come in the house from removing a sign... It was on a box from BM past.. It reads: Honk If Your Soylent Green.. Soylent Green Biscuit Co. I am cutting the box to hold the sound system and speakers.. Then will reapply the soylent green sign..

GroundStart
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Kikakee

Post by GroundStart » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 am

(old thread is old)
If there's questions for someone who actually consumes Soylent, ask away. Here is some experience and response to comments above.

I've never taken it camping but have often considered it and I don't think the logistics would be hard.

Someone asked what if you prepare it with compromised water.
You need clean water to drink, cook, do wash-up, bathe, and anything else involving water. Do not go camping without clean water, or access to it. See also: Radical self-reliance.
Otherwise there is bottled Soylent, mixed and ready to go.

I've never done a 100% Soylent diet. There are Youtube journals of those who have. I think I did 50% at school for a bit.

It was noted you need a blender. I did use a blender for 1.5 and 1.6, for newer versions a shaker bottle is sufficient.

Someone said you will sing soprano. I've yet to.

Someone said it would taste like chicken. Instead, plain Soylent is like pancake batter. The prepared version has a lot of flavors now, which I've never bothered to try. There is a rainbow of flavor hacks and recipes online, I generally don't bother. I used to carry a serving of instant coffee in a pill bottle. Dump it into bottled Soylent and shake up for a snack with a caffeine hit.

I don't use the bottled stuff much anymore. That is paying to ship water around, lower storage density, and the bottles must be recycled. Having a box of it on standby, though, is handy. I kept a box hidden where I worked at the school.

It was implied that Soylent consumers, supposedly eating a nutritionally incomplete diet, will develop "relatively minor medical complaints" and die. So long as life is terminal, the death part is true, with a nutritionally complete diet or otherwise. As of this writing, I've yet to die.

I don't hate "real" food. I'm a cheap lazy bachelor who does make simple, single pan meals. My pinky fingers are pretty heavy. But I don't eat Soylent at home unless I've run out of something, or am in a hurry.

I do often pack Soylent for lunch at work. I don't always have access to a fridge, sometimes have to go into the field, or food gets brought in anyway. Here's how I do lunch.
I put three scoops of powder in a small shaker jug. I pre-load a half dozen of these at home so they are always ready to go. I use a water bottle to fill it at lunch time. Shake, invert, bang on table, shake. Consume and repeat once or twice until jug is mostly clean (stow, and properly wash it later at home). It tastes like pancake batter, sludgy if you didn't use enough water. I do not care. I eat that with a power bar, an apple, and water. It takes me five minutes to eat lunch, maybe fifteen while playing with my phone. My lunch does not need refrigeration, and it all fits in a pocket of my backpack.

I run: often. I generally prefer "real" food a while before running and certainly after. But sometimes if I've accidentally put off eating and want go to run, I'll have Soylent a short while before. My theory is that Soylent breaks down faster than a big "real" meal, and I won't be running with a lot of heavy digesting going on. I base that on nothing. So far, so good. I run exclusively 5K's for training/racing and do so at ~7:30 pace.

Me: I work in manufacturing where I build things and wire stuff for nine~ hours a day. I am lean and have been since always. I don't put Soylent on a pedestal or sing loud praise, it's just another way to eat, and figured the thread could benefit from someone who actually used it.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:46 pm

While I don't buy Soylent because I don't want to pay that much for it and do like eating (chewing) food sometimes, I bring a box of protein drinks and that makes things a lot easier. If I need to have some food in me and leave quickly, I'll just pound one, munch on some finger-food vegis or other snacks, and be good to go.

Usually in the morning at the burn (i.e. when I get up) I'll make myself a shake of a protein drink, some, Carnation Instant Breakfast, and some whey protein powder. I'll also munch on some snacks and such to give myself something solid in my stomach. It seems to last for quite a while. While this was fine at the Burn when I was super active doing stuff all the time, I tried this at a regional and it was just way too many calories and sugar, leaving me feeling just bleh-full.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

GroundStart
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Kikakee

Post by GroundStart » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Although I haven't run the numbers in a long time, Soylent pricing vs "real food" was negligible. Even at that time, I was having Soylent for breakfast, and realized for the cost I'd just might as well keep freakin' cereal and milk around. However part of the savings for me back then wasn't just monetary, it was keeping minimalist supply lines, going a couple weeks between grocery runs, and little refrigeration (I was living out of a cooler).

Interesting, BBadger, how your shake-food Burns fared. I too usually augment Soylent with a snack (fruit and/or jerkey, etc), call it a meal and get back to work.
I genuinely look forward to camp-testing Soylent. Not really as a primary foodstuff, camp cooking should be tasty & fun, but instead I generally cook up terribly. Yet being able to bung up a few bags of Soylent somewhere and knowing that with water I'd have three days of "food" as a backup sounds good. Bonus: nobody will steal it.
Last edited by GroundStart on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Soylent can be good, but I absolutely do NOT recommend drinking it for your first time on Playa. You're going to get a stomach cramp for the ages, and then you're going to fart some of the most vile farts you'll ever have, ever, EVER. Seriously, EVER. Soylent doesn't play nice with your stomach the first few bottles, and for like two or three days afterwards. If you want to try Soylent, get it a week before, and have one per day or one every other day to get your stomach on the Soylent wagon... otherwise... I seriously hope you aren't sharing your tent with anyone.

They have caffeinated Soylent, there's a few coffee-ish flavors. I like to bring those out there for my 6am shifts when I don't want to deal with food in any way. I'll also carry them on shift, it's great, and non-caffeinated ones are amazing for when I'm out at the trash fence at 4am and suddenly THE HUNGER hits. It works crazy well.

I would absolutely not go all week on Soylent. I would also not drink more than one per day.

TMI warning.

Any amount of soylent at all has a wonderful way of turning my poop into a gushy and strange matter. My poops become toothpastey, but not tough... just unpleasant. It does make pooping a little bit more unpleasant, and when I've had a lot in my diet (bad times...) my poop started to liquify, but more like clay?... colored like clay, too.

Anyway, the Aristocrats.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:42 pm

Oh the money part was more versus other stuff like I what I brought for my shake. Even so, 12 bottles for $32 isn't that bad anyway.

I hate cooking out there, so I'll often just go and buy some tasty premade sandwiches at a sandwich chain and have that for some "good" meals. Some cold pizza is good too, and nice snacks like jerky and stuff. Usually I don't even want to eat any "real" food anyway, even if it weren't a pain to prep. Some fresh foods might be good, like fruits and vegetables, but I just don't have the interest to make the food.

I do like bringing home made jerky and other good snack foods that are pretty good for me. Saves me having to bring a stove, or even clean up plates and shit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Food & Drink”