Camelbak versus Water Canteen

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Camelbak versus Water Canteen

Post by Ano » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 am

I use a camelbak... but I also have a cup dedicated to non-alcoholic beverages.

Drinking out of a hose for 14 days straight is awful. Drinking out of a cup is a lifesaver sometimes.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Both, and back ups. One thing I've learned about BM is never trust any one essential item enough that you only bring one of said item. It might fail, get misplaced/lost, stolen, whatever. I like both the option of quantity with the camelbak but not the taste after its been in the sun all day, hence little waterbottles hidden in shade work better for me in direct sun depending where I am. I think we probably also saved a tripping, naked wandering girl out in deep playa (no I don't have pictures, shame on you) when I gifted her one of my ole desert canteens - meaning, it doesn't hurt to have extra on hand just in case!

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Gunslinger... your Avatar makes me wince, and also move closer to the screen for prurient interests all at the same time.

My hydration is as follows.

Camelbak backpack, with logo covered by BM departmental patch. 100 oz bladder with water in it, topped off whenever possible. It's on me all the time and contains sunscreen, gloves, flashlight, headlight, personal light, gloves, body lights of varied types, sharpies, pens, gloves, a notebook, a carabiner mug with spillproof lid clipped on, and a Kleen Kanteen covered in stickers.

The carabiner mug may contain some kind of mixed cocktail, or electrolyte drink, or gloves.

The Kleen Kanteen generally has water or some kind of electrolyte mix in it, however when it comes time for evening, I generally make a giant walkabout cocktail.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:46 pm

I have the original Camelbak with a 70 oz bladder. I fill it with crushed ice, water and electrolyte. I slip this into the original neoprene sleeve. This goes inside my Camelbak MULE. I have ice cold liquid for about 16+ hours. I stay better hydrated knowing I've got a cool, refreshing drink available rather than a warm bottle of water.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:12 pm

I loved the idea of a camelbak type hydration plan, so I researched it and decided to go with the Platypus bladder. The reveiws said it had less of a plasticky taste. It was one of the first (of many) items I bought for my first burn.

When I finally got around to testing it out I discovered that the bite valve made my jaw hurt within 30 minutes. If you suffer from any kind of TMJ or the like, a bottle may be a better way to go. I found one with a loop for a caribiner and it worked fine for me.

Ended up gifting the platypus to my neighbor that took care of the dog for me. She rides her bike a lot and didn't have one. Win-win.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Camelbak + Wine Bota. This saves you from the "can I get a suck off your Camelbak" germ gifting, because they can take a squirt right into their mouth's from the Bota. If your CamelBak runs out of water, you can fill it from your Bota.

I know you young'uns immune systems are bulletproof, but us greybeards worry about germ gifting.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Never much cared for a Camel Back. I bought one for my first burn and used it once. It always seemed to get in the way of something, not to mention I found it hard to drink out of it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

omegared
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Post by omegared » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:00 am

Had a Camelbak that developed a hole within the first day. Carried a thermos with ice water on my belt, and a backpack with a jug of cocktail and a jug of water. By the end of the week the jug of water ended up being an empty vodka bottle that was rinsed out and filled back up with water. It was priceless seeing people's faces when I whipped out my bottle of "vodka" and gulped down a quarter of it in one long draw :lol: .
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:37 am

omegared wrote: It was priceless seeing people's faces when I whipped out my bottle of "vodka" and gulped down a quarter of it in one long draw :lol: .
Reminds me of a Death Guild guy at Thunder Dome taking a swig out of a big Clorox jug....

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

i was gifted a 2L gel insulated camelback bladder on my second burn. i de/reconstructed an old backpack into a pack for it and it is an ESSENTIAL part of my gear now. i LOVE that thing. i have hands free hydration at all times! what's not to love???
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:41 pm

lollergirl wrote:what's not to love???
Mac people vs. PC people . . .

Camelback vs. every other container for portable potable water....

Has any discussion ever brought someone to the other side no matter the logic invoked?

Did any burgin read this thread and make a decision? Speak up, don't be shy :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:00 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:

Has any discussion ever brought someone to the other side no matter the logic invoked?

Oh, Doc, can't you tell she's just desperate for our approval of her choice?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:36 pm

I imagine at the very least the OP made a choice of how to carry their water with help from this thread. :roll:

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
DoctorIknow wrote:

Oh, Doc, can't you tell she's just desperate for our approval of her choice?
that... escalated quickly :roll:

is the camelbak/canteen "debate" really as contentious as the mac/pc divide??? (mac users can SUCK IT, for the record.)
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:30 pm

lollergirl wrote:(mac users can SUCK IT, for the record.)
PCs were totally the way to go...before 2008. :P

Back to the water thing. I lost my cup early this year, and carried my stickered sports water bottle for a time and lost that too. :[ So I do not think I am a good candidate for a canteen. I did not lose my camelbak though.

In the past, for festival and day adventures I have used camelbak 'blowfish' bags, which are meant for mountain biking and can be expanded by a zipper.

I was looking for something more rugged for BM and picked the camelbak HAWG. That has a really nice 3L bladder, tip cap and flow valve. It is also available in a desert color as it is part of their 'military tactical' line. This is a big bag so I tended to carry around a fair amount of stuff no matter how far of a mission I was on (dust masks, bike lock, etc).

I want to get one of the hydration-only camelbaks (like the one posted by OP) for next year to make lightweight foot travel easier. Trim it down to my water, my ID and a cup. :)

Return to “Food & Drink”