Protein/Supplement Type Shake to Feel Good on the Playa?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Funkfish
Burning Since: 2012

Protein/Supplement Type Shake to Feel Good on the Playa?

Post by Funkfish » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:00 am

So with all of the craziness constantly happening during the week at BM, eating properly can be tough. I'm wondering if its possible to make/buy a supplement type shake to drink when I wake up. I'm thinking of like a concoction of vitamins, minerals, and any other supplements that would keep your body feeling good during the week. I'm not sure what I would specifically put in it though.

Of course this would be in addition to doing your best to eating properly as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Protein/Supplement Type Shake to Feel Good on the Playa?

Post by Token » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:24 am

I have a similar question actually that might also answer the OP's question. Do you guys have shelf stable chocolate milk in the US? We have it here, it's often full of vitamins and such and found in the cereal aisle since it's supposed to be a breakfast replacement for busy types. It looks like this;
UP GO CHOC ICE 250ML.jpg
I ask because I've been known to have very bad modds completely solved by chocolate milkshakes in the real world and this seems like it could be useful on the playa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:50 am

I had never heard of shelf stable UHT milk until I was working in American Samoa in the aftermath of typhoon Offa in 1998. I love the taste of it.

In the US, you can find it in isolated areas across the country, but you have to search hard for it.

If you do a Google search, you can find businesses that sell both whole and chocolate shelf stable milk in the US.

I wish that I could find it locally, because it would be perfect for the Playa.
Last edited by Meat Hunter on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am

We bring shelf stable chocolate milk in single serving boxes. Horizon or Hershey brand.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:06 pm

ensure, which also comes in a formula for diabetics.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:10 pm

I tried one of those shelf stable protein milk things..
Ensure, for old people has a better formula than that stuff..
And the price is right..

I'm a label reader
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:19 pm

I just ordered shelf stable whole milk from Amazon.com. They list shelf stable chocolate milk also.

If your order is $35.00 USD or more, shipping is free. If you order it now, it will be waiting for you along with your tickets at boy friends house when you arrive.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

crease
Burning Since: 2015

Post by crease » Tue May 19, 2015 6:17 am

Jovankat wrote:I have a similar question actually that might also answer the OP's question. Do you guys have shelf stable chocolate milk in the US? We have it here, it's often full of vitamins and such and found in the cereal aisle since it's supposed to be a breakfast replacement for busy types. It looks like this;
UP GO CHOC ICE 250ML.jpg
I ask because I've been known to have very bad modds completely solved by chocolate milkshakes in the real world and this seems like it could be useful on the playa.
That stuff is terrible, filled with all sorts of badness! As are all premade protein milk shakes. theres a protein powder called Optimum Nutrition Gold, which is one of the best quality Whey protein powders you can get. You could buy a 5 kilo bag of it and would do an entire camp for a week!

If your'e after vitamins look into some of the more reputable Alkaline / Green powder brands like Herbalife. Mix it with water ands taste like shit but packed with broccoli, celery, kale... Their expensive but with these products its really are a case of you get what you pay for.

I use to take them during my Crossfit days and you really notice the difference in your energy levels.
Irish virgin hoping to make it to 2015

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 am

Horizon brand milk is organic. If one is not hysterical over sugar, it is not full of what I'd call badness. In moderation, it is alright. And tasty. Has added A and D because that is a federally mandated thing for milk in the US.
INGREDIENTS
Organic Grade A Lowfat Milk, Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Natural Flavor, Organic Cocoa, Salt, Organic Vanilla Flavor, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3.
Hershey's is not organic, but is hormone free. Shelf stable because of the high temperature processing, not added preservatives.
Ingredients
Reduced Fat Milk, Sugar, Contains 1% or less of Each of the Following: Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Cocoa, Carrageenan, Salt, Artificial Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate and Vitamin D3.
I want something I will drink in the desert, not something I must choke down. Milk is decent protein. Not something I drink at home, but a tiny box a day on the playa does me right. I get my B vitamins from Emerg-C packs.

Edited to add: these are not meal replacement shakes. I cannot choke those down either. Choices would be Ensure, Boost, Special K, and any number of weight loss types such as SlimFast and Jenny Craig. I'd have to read the labels to see the badness index, but most of them have soy protein, which I can't have. Meh..

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue May 19, 2015 8:14 am

+1 to Horizon milk, my gf uses their regular stuff as milk to have around for coffee in the morning at camp. Depending on the grocery store, they may also carry Horizon's chocolate milk. I like having the occasional chocolate milk on the playa, and go with Nestle Quick. I can't imagine there's any nutritional value whatsoever, and that's fine by me....it's shelf stable and hits the spot.

As for the OP's question about protein supplements and shakes, that ship has sailed. Looks like the nearly year-old thread was revived just for the drift :)

crease

Post by crease » Wed May 20, 2015 5:26 am

I was searching protein and this came up! Seeing as most of my posts revolve around asking advice, this looked like a good opportunity to give some!
Any form of processed milk much the same way as processed foods like variety pack of mini cereals which im sure are popular offer zero dietary requirements. Your better off getting a big bag of rolled oats (UNTOASTED) mixed with pumpkin seeds, almonds, flaxseeds... true organic raw ingredients. They all promote longer slow release energy than any processed cereals / breakfast drinks. Ideally you would be mixing it with fresh fruit but dried currants and bananas are fine.

Everyone always emphasises the importance of sleep and keeping hydrated as key factors for well being yet eating well seems to be overlooked!

crease

Post by crease » Wed May 20, 2015 5:29 am

Although I am being somewhat hypocritical as I refuse to engage in anything before ive had a double/triple espresso which really does hinders you in the long run.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed May 20, 2015 9:23 am

My solution is steak and potatoes. Thats a MEAL... not some whimpy dollup of crud swimming in solution and trapped in a plastic bottle thats been sitting on a hot shelf in New Jersey for a month. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, see about maybe keeping some good, "normal" protein frozen in an ice chest if you can swing it. Anything out of a bottle cant really compare. If protein its what your body craves, do your best to fix the root of the problem.

Of course chocolate is a whole 'nuther thing.... :D
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:31 pm

sort of off topic, but if you're dehydrated you don't want to be eating/drinking a lot of protein. Carbohydrates take less water to digest and are a better choice. Of course you shouldn't be dehydrated because you're drinking lots of water out there, right? Right? :D

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed May 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Funkfish wrote:So with all of the craziness constantly happening during the week at BM, eating properly can be tough. I'm wondering if its possible to make/buy a supplement type shake to drink when I wake up. I'm thinking of like a concoction of vitamins, minerals, and any other supplements that would keep your body feeling good during the week. I'm not sure what I would specifically put in it though.

Of course this would be in addition to doing your best to eating properly as much as possible.

Thoughts?
I like options. In any given year I probably have all of these on hand:

* Horizon Farms chocolate/regular milk <-- good on frosted Shredded Wheat
* V-8
* Emergen-C
* fruit cups / dried fruit
* 100% juice (boxed)
* Carnation Instant Breakfast <-- easiest for drinking automatically when you wake up, and has protein
* Flintstone vitamins
* Gatorade (Powdered; lemon-lime because it stains less than other flavors. Why yes: I am tossing Gatorade around the place like nobody's business.)

I get fruit or fruit juice every single day, and tend to have high-protein sources on hand (vacuum sealed fish, jerky, peanut butter, nuts) so that if I don't eat much, it'll still sustain me.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed May 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Place a 16oz can of ice cold coconut water and a handful of good trail mix in front of a hot and tired burner, and start your stopwatch.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed May 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Ensure or Wally World "slim fast" shakes work great for me, even if you're not feeling very hungry (which is most of the time).

Easy to digest, just drink and you're done! No clean up.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 pm

I like the Ensure type geriatric drinks too, sometimes I add a fiber gummy or a multivitamin.
Also if I remember, I take the day's leftover coffee, put it in a leftover bottle in the cooler, next morning add some ice cubes, milk, and a scoop of chocolate protein powder = wake up shake. I like a protein powder with whey and not a lot of sugar. Pick your brand from sports shop/health food store. Keep in mind any shake or protein drink will make your drinking vessel pretty funky and hard to clean when the protein dries. #personal experience.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 pm

I am sure I have said this before, but, as your friendly ePlaya nurse I will tell you again that chocolate milk out-performs electrolyte drinks for both speed and duration of muscle recovery and serum replenishment.

A brand of single-serve shelf-stable chocolate milk that I find very tasty: Natrel, from Agropur, a Canadian cooperative dairy. No nasties in there.

Cold coffee plus chocolate milk is da bomb. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Never even thought of shelf stable chocolate milk out there. I'll be bringing some of that this year for sure!

As for quick and easy solid food, I'm a big fan of those Babybel mini cheeses and hard boiled eggs for a good protein fix. Oh, and peanut butter by the spoonful...
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

tatonka
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:35 pm

I get the strawbeery one from our local store ( copy of unsure ) and I put them on my oatmeal in the morning. Each shake is 350 cal. with the oatmeal it has staying power :) plus toast with butter
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Hope-a-Lope
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Protein bars! I always have one in my backpack, usually Quest.
I like protein powder in defaultia, but the mixing/rinsing of a shake bottle is too much work.

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:08 pm

My feel good trick is to take extra fiber to keep the plumbing working better. It also cuts down my time in the blue phonebooths when making an international call.

Return to “Food & Drink”