Keeping eggs cool?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
serpentspiral
Burning Since: 2012

Keeping eggs cool?

Post by serpentspiral » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey there!

I'm curious, since I don't usually refrigerate my eggs, would I need to keep them cool on the playa?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Keeping eggs cool?

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:20 am

That depends on whether your eggs need to be refrigerated.

I know that response sounds ridiculous, but what I mean is: if your eggs come from sources (hens) that are vaccinated against salmonella and the eggs have a protective coating on them to prevent outside infection (cuticle or something artificial), then you can keep them at room temperature. If your eggs are washed -- losing that protective layer -- and don't come from sources that are vaccinated, then they're supposed to be refrigerated. In Europe, they're the former. In the US, they're generally the latter. I doubt you're importing eggs, but maybe you have a special source for eggs that don't require refrigeration? If you're also not bothering to refrigerate them already, it might be okay, but it depends on how quickly you consume the eggs too.

I'd say it'd be good to keep the eggs cool at least. Keep them on ice if you can. Don't keep them close to dry ice though; they'll freeze.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:03 am

Oh and don't ever keep them all in one basket...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:11 am

lucky420 wrote:Oh and don't ever keep them all in one basket...
And avoid counting them before they hatch. You will probably be disapointed if you do.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:02 am

Careful or you'll end up with egg on your face.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:37 am

There is an old sailors trick (and this is not a joke), where you coat the outside of fresh eggs with a heavy mineral oil or film of vaseline. This keeps them fresher, longer, without refrigeration.

There is another trick that I have personally used, that involves dipping each egg into hot, boiling, salted water for 30 secs and then dunking them into ice water. This kills the bacteria on the outside of the egg and makes a thin, millimeter thick cooked film inside the egg. It works. Just keep them very dry after treating like this and you should be good for a week.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Food & Drink”