Ultralight backpacking camp stove

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Ultralight backpacking camp stove

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Set up a camp stove in your car?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon May 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Set up a camp stove in your car?
Right good point, cap. I bring food I don't need to cook for these occasions of super wind, or really for many times there, period. If it's really windy, opening your tent or car or wet food, invites a lot of dust where you don't really want it.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Tue May 12, 2015 8:20 am

CyanEssence wrote:
DoctorIknow wrote:
It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: make sure that when packing up for the trip, you have a stable surface for whatever kind of stove you have. Perhaps the surface can be portable (a 2x2 or 3x3foot piece of plywood) and set up in your tent or car if it's too windy outside.
I second this. Most stoves are capable of at least some degree of fuel spillage, and that would not be very LNT.
i have a card table i set up under/in my shade canopy which has closable side curtains. the wind shouldn't be too much of an issue but good call on the additional work surface. i guarantee i will have some spillage and i'd rather not soak my table in fuel. eek!
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Thu May 14, 2015 12:35 pm

lollergirl wrote: i have a card table i set up under/in my shade canopy which has closable side curtains. the wind shouldn't be too much of an issue but good call on the additional work surface. i guarantee i will have some spillage and i'd rather not soak my table in fuel. eek!
You got me thinking, what about using an old metal cookie pan, the ones used for baking, that have raised edges? If fuel spills on that, it won't soak into it, like it will with wood, and you can either let it evap, or you could take it out of the shade structure and burn it off. I say this because a piece of fuel soaked wood is not something I want sitting around in my car, it is probably not much of a hazard, but it just seems like it could be a hazard.

I would probably avoid teflon if I were going to do this.

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Set up a camp stove in your car?
I can see the headlines already...

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 pm

CyanEssence wrote: You got me thinking, what about using an old metal cookie pan, the ones used for baking, that have raised edges? If fuel spills on that, it won't soak into it, like it will with wood, and you can either let it evap, or you could take it out of the shade structure and burn it off. I say this because a piece of fuel soaked wood is not something I want sitting around in my car, it is probably not much of a hazard, but it just seems like it could be a hazard.

I would probably avoid teflon if I were going to do this.
very good idea.

*adds to goodwill shopping list*
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed May 20, 2015 10:02 pm

I use an old Primus butane mix backpackers stove; that burned so hot, it melted a plastic card table top. Plastic melts. Use a board, or plywood base as a heat shield. I put my stove in a large Pyrex glass lasagna pan, now.
My 2 burner Coleman uses propane. It has its own metal box. Adding some trivets, or oven mitts can help prevent mishaps. :coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

KnotJim
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Peace Camp

Post by KnotJim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm camping solo this year too so only cooking for one. I have one those stoves I use it for hiking,it's way to small for BM. I picked this one up on ebay too a few weeks ago and have tested it. It's going to be great for BM much more stable, but still packs small.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picnic-Camping- ... 2a4a30c546
The deeper I go the happier I get

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:17 pm

YOU GUUUUUUYS!!! i've started my purchasing for this year and my first order included a knock-off trangia. i haven't received it yet but i am super super excited. i've watched the how-to video a dozen times <3
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:58 pm

If you are <3 in anticipation of getting your gear....you might be a gearhead.

welcome.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:21 pm

IT ARRIVED TODAY!!! it's so cute i can't stand it :D

this is definitely moving into "Top Most Favoritest and Treasured Burner Possessions" for me. it is so compact and functional it makes my heart pitter-patter.

and it's got more than enough capacity to suit my needs. i can easily boil enough water for ramen or mac&cheese and the fry plate is definitely big enough for an omelet of 2 fried hotdogs.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Elorrum wrote:If you are <3 in anticipation of getting your gear....you might be a gearhead.

welcome.
if we're talking burner gear... absolutely. i'm finally coming into my own in the "gear" department. this has been a big year for realizing many gear dreams. i am going to be more equipped, streamlined, and self sufficient than ever <3
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:53 pm

pretty_monster wrote:IT ARRIVED TODAY!!! it's so cute i can't stand it :D

this is definitely moving into "Top Most Favoritest and Treasured Burner Possessions" for me. it is so compact and functional it makes my heart pitter-patter.

and it's got more than enough capacity to suit my needs. i can easily boil enough water for ramen or mac&cheese and the fry plate is definitely big enough for an omelet of 2 fried hotdogs.
Congrats Pretty Monster! I have cooked with alcohol stoves in the past, and they are amazing, ... Except be sure to have a good wind shield, because they have a harder time staying lit when a lot of air is circulating.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:21 am

TT120 wrote:I have one and they work great. The only thing is that you will need a way to block the wind. I have cooked inside my tent with it but I don't think that is a very good idea.

I found that I was mostly using it to boil water either for Mountain House food or coffee so I ended up getting a Jetboil. That works MUCH better for boiling water and can also be used for cooking stuff in a pan if you want.
Regarding the OP, I have one, love it, but obviously you won't be grilling a steak on it. Just like TT I use mine for heating water for dehydrated camp food (which tastes awesome). I also make meals ahead of time, use my food saver to vacuum seal individual portions & freeze them. On Playa I pick out what I want to eat on a given day & let it sit out to thaw. Then I submerge it in hot water to heat it up for eating. Works great!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:09 pm

yeah, no steaks. warming up precooked bacon and cooking hotdogs will be the heaviest work it has to do. most of the time i'll be boiling water or heating canned goods. i'm not going 100% cooler-free but i think i'm down to 5 or 6 things that'll have to be kept cold and half of those only after they've been opened. i've got a case of 6 MREs coming as well. i don't plan to overwork my new adorable little stove.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am

I have an all in one unit.

Units very and I see you got your cookware, but I use that one for long term backpack camping. The easiest part is everything fits into the other, but if your not backpacking, its not important.

Keep in mind, center camp sells coffee. My first year, I made coffee, but found it so much easier to go to center camp. Make a list of things you truly need for your health and travel well, a way to LNT, and clean your pots/dishes as well. If you don't have dishes, eat out of the pot so you have less to clean. YES! Classy is my middle name.

Speaking of coffee...............
We break to remind us how to mend.

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:27 pm

my little stove was FUCKING AMAZING!

i could boil water in about 5 minutes. i destroyed my ramen and mac & cheese allotments post haste. anything out of a can was heated through in a few minutes: ravioli, spaghettiOs, chunky soups. I was also able to make eggs & bacon for breakie and hotdogs & veggies for dinner.

and I think I only filled the burner up 4 or 5 times over the entire 9 days. I expected to have to use way more fuel. I've got enough denatured alcohol for my next 10 burns.

she is officially an Indispensable Piece of Burner Gear :)
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:03 pm

I love it when a plan comes together!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:25 pm

yesss!!! I may have crashed & burned in other ways but at least I was well fed :)
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Return to “Food & Drink”