Really dumb cooler question

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Really dumb cooler question

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm sure I'm going to sound real dumb but i've never been camping, let alone spent a week in a desert. This going to be my first time so I know next to nothing about things. Ice chests. They keep your food cold but not on their own so you have to put ice in it, right? How will I be able to do that for a whole week seeing as I won't have any ice? Told you It's a dumb question.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Really dumb question

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 pm

It sounds like you haven't done your basic reading yet, which is a little understandable since tickets haven't been mailed. Click both the First Timers & Survival Guide links in my sig line, it will cover some of the basic questions (these are still the 2014 guides, the 2015 aren't out yet, but they'll help). Also read ALL the information and links on this page: http://burningman.org/event/preparation/

As for your question: ice is sold at the event at 3 locations. You will find those locations listed in the links I suggested (the stations are called "Arctica")
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:27 pm

I will add that Arctica is one of the few places in the city (along with Center Camp and whenever someone's giving out bacon) where you will be expected to form an orderly line and wait for some unspecified amount of time. But remember, you're not lining up at the bank...you're lining up at BURNING MAN! So have fun with it!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:19 pm

See, that wasn't a dumb question after all, as it got you pointed at some essential information for all Burners, experienced campers or not. And, it's for both Virgins and returning Burners too, as info can change from year to year.
Make sure you read through all of it.
Really.

Big hint.
Anytime Eric takes the time to post, pay attention!
It's likely to be either important or amusing.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Canoe wrote:Big hint.
Anytime Eric takes the time to post, pay attention!
It's likely to be either important or amusing.
Aw shucks :oops:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Eric wrote: Aw shucks :oops:
See? Utter brilliance!!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

daft

Re: Really dumb cooler question

Post by daft » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Its dry camping but there is the ice "store" with usually a long line. As far as the cooler goes, open as little for as short of time as possible which is rough as you open it up and see cold beer, keep it on some 2x4 pieces of wood under your car out of the sun and yes it moves across the sky as the earth spins

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 pm

The kind of cooler you get matters too, OP. Cheap coolers don't keep the heat out well, whereas pricier coolers from brands like Pelican or Yeti do a much better job, which means less ice runs.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:See? Utter brilliance!!!
Yup.
Even made me feel guilty for forgetting to add the obvious ", and often both."
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:06 am

You will probably need 2 coolers if you want to have cold stuff all week. Do not skimp on quality and only go for the extreme 5 or 6 day coolers. Wally world and Costco both have decent cooler prices, but there are plenty of places to look. The 120 qt Coleman Extreme 6 cooler can be found for around $60 and that will be my dry ice storage cooler, and my normal 5 day cooler will be my regular cooler for regular foods. The 6 day cooler is rated to keep ice in 90 degree temperatures for 6 days. 5 days is one day less.

You will want to keep them in the shade all the time and have them elevated. I plan on keeping them inside my hexayurt and pull out things as needed. I will probably add some tape to the edges of mine to give it an even better snug fit to keep air from escaping easily.

The Yeti and Pelican type coolers would be your best bet, but those get pricey real quick $200+. If you want to survive on a budget, the 6 day coolers are your best bet.

I have always used frozen water bottles for ice when camping which gives you easy access to cold water anytime, but may look at options that use up all the space, like ice blocks in bags.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:49 am

i got a YETI for my birthday!!! YAY! Cant wait to give it a try :shock:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 am

And on a cheaper note. You don't need an expensive cooler. Do like they said. Elevate it and keep it in the shade. Also wrap a cooler cozy around it. I made a thing for mine from an old comforter. Any padded blanket like a movers blanket or an old quilt will do. My cheap 30 year old cooler keeps ice in it for 5 days.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:02 am

rideincircles wrote:You will probably need 2 coolers if you want to have cold stuff all week. Do not skimp on quality and only go for the extreme 5 or 6 day coolers. Wally world and Costco both have decent cooler prices, but there are plenty of places to look. The 120 qt Coleman Extreme 6 cooler can be found for around $60 and that will be my dry ice storage cooler, and my normal 5 day cooler will be my regular cooler for regular foods. The 6 day cooler is rated to keep ice in 90 degree temperatures for 6 days. 5 days is one day less.
I've not previously used dry ice but am planning to this year and have a question: Is it so cold that it freezes liquids in the cooler with it?

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:08 am

DrYes wrote:
I've not previously used dry ice but am planning to this year and have a question: Is it so cold that it freezes liquids in the cooler with it?
Yes. Dry Ice is like -100 f. As long as there is dry ice still in there, anything in there will freeze solid.
Sic Semper Spectatores

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:10 am

I do a two cooler method; drinks and things that I wouldn't be upset if the ice all melted, and a "food" cooler that is critical. I make sure to pack the food cooler in a way that fits blocks since they last A LOT longer than crushed. The "drink" cooler is overflow and in instead of dumping all the ice in from the plastic bags, I place some in still unopened in case a friend needs ice or our cocktail hour runs low. Usually one block in the drink cooler and the rest is crushed.

Pack your food in SEALED containers. Get quality plastic ones, the cheap ones for single use do not seal well. This way your food will stay dry and away from the water. I have seen coolers that people just threw the food in wrapped in plastic wrap or something, and EW. Food soup! You can't sprinkle that ice water on the playa. It's now grey water! ugh.
In dust we trust.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:21 am

Dry ice is the shit. With careful cooler management, you can keep things frozen for 5 days. Yes, you can use it to freeze liquids also.

Seriously do you want to be adored by everyone around you? Pull out frozen juice bars on Friday.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:05 pm

As I saw someone mentioned, keeping your cooler elevated off the ground is important. Airspace helps keep the temp lower inside so put it up on some blocks or something to make some space. I also use moving blankets thrown over mine as an extra layer of insulation.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

caffeineslinger

Post by caffeineslinger » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:43 pm

lucky420 wrote:i got a YETI for my birthday!!! YAY! Cant wait to give it a try :shock:
Only a Burner would be excited about an ice chest for their birthday. I once got a wagon for ice runs as a birthday present and I still love it.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 am

caffeineslinger wrote:
lucky420 wrote:i got a YETI for my birthday!!! YAY! Cant wait to give it a try :shock:
Only a Burner would be excited about an ice chest for their birthday. I once got a wagon for ice runs as a birthday present and I still love it.

Thank you for understanding :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:34 am

maladroit wrote:I will add that Arctica is one of the few places in the city (along with Center Camp and whenever someone's giving out bacon) where you will be expected to form an orderly line and wait for some unspecified amount of time. But remember, you're not lining up at the bank...you're lining up at BURNING MAN! So have fun with it!
I remember a time when you could just bring a six pack of beer to Artica and go right to the head of the line!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Eric wrote: Aw shucks :oops:
See? Utter brilliance!!!
Now that's funny. 8)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:16 pm

We have chest freezers in our camp. No need for ice.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:08 am

Elderberry wrote:
maladroit wrote:I will add that Arctica is one of the few places in the city (along with Center Camp and whenever someone's giving out bacon) where you will be expected to form an orderly line and wait for some unspecified amount of time. But remember, you're not lining up at the bank...you're lining up at BURNING MAN! So have fun with it!
I remember a time when you could just bring a six pack of beer to Artica and go right to the head of the line!
you still can if i'm working there. I am the very definition of corrupt. I've refused to serve people because i'm thirsty and they haven't brought me booze
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Thanks, lots of good information. One last question. So I get set up then go get some ice and put it in my chest. How long you guys figure it will last? Will I need to get new ice every day or will it last longer than that?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:02 pm

ah...

Depends on the cooler, how you've installed it (extra insulation, radiant barriers or not, off/on ground, in shade or not, line-of-sight from sun-baked ground, etc.), pre-chilled off playa and how often someone opens it and for how long, and ... how hot it is at BRC that year.

Lots of cooler threads, where people post what cooler and/or what type of treatment they've given it, and how long it cools for, for them in their year.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 pm

DDave...

Consider doing some reading of reviews, or what's called comparison shopping. You can also get some tips on this board for things like keeping your cooler(s) in the shade, and getting them off the ground. That'd give a person a pretty good idea of how to make the ice last longer. There's no way to assure how long ice would last (and certainly no message board guarantee), you just check your cooler(s) and buy more ice as needed to keep your stuff cold.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:04 am

One of many............

viewtopic.php?f=280&t=46041
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

MFOB
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Hot Mayo

Post by MFOB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:40 am

Anyone know when Artica opens. EA style?
These angles are all fenced up!

Soliton

Post by Soliton » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:59 pm

One note on coolers: the big ones filled with ice are HEAVY!

I purchased a 100 qt and tried it out at a regional precompression (fully loaded with champagne, OJ, beer, etc) and basically had to unload it to move it to my camping spot :shock: I was really worried that the handles would break as well. With the help of several people (sounds like a good reason to meet the neighbors :D ) it may not be an issue, but do consider weight if going solo or if the cooler is really large and filled with drinks/ice.

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:07 pm

I use a couple, one of which is *very* heavy, but keeps ice for days. The most interesting thing you said is here is really key and the essential thing that makes Burning Man so unique. Neighbors! Help! Participating! Giving and getting assistance. Radical self reliance is one thing. Don't expect everyone to help you set up your camp, but working together is the perfect way to meet new friends.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

Return to “Food & Drink”