best kind of beer for the playa?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
bwodie
Burning Since: 2013

Re: best kind of beer for the playa?

Postby bwodie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:47 pm

heavier craft beers for regular drinking, pissy beers to be drunk when hung over :)

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Postby jneilvindy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:16 am

Free beer.

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Postby rideincircles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 am

TT120 wrote:Dickens Cider; Best served warm in the back of Doc's RV.

Seriously though, The IPA's that the Orphan camps had last year was awesome! We had people come from all over the world to drink our beer.

Quick thread derailment: Back in high school, we had to create a business in our economics class and my friend decided to go with Dickens fruit stand and ciders. Then for the presentation he just played this in class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRRW9lKmEQ

It was pretty much the funniest thing ever in high school and the teacher let it play the whole way through. When it ended, he just said Ryan, go out in the hall. Then made him redo the project. The whole class was laughing our asses off. I am sure the teacher thought it was funny, but he had to maintain order.

Back to the thread: I now have my Pliny clone using different hops going, and 10 gallons of citra saison that needs to be kegged in a little while. Will be taking them to the playa.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 am

rideincircles wrote: 10 gallons of citra saison that needs to be kegged in a little while. Will be taking them to the playa.

You camp where???? :-)

I'll be bringing
1 keg of Smoke Bomb, smoked chipotle porter
1 keg of Bourbon barrel porter
1 keg of Java Stout,
& 1 keg of a Kama Citra, a Session IPA.

I may swap one of the darker beers for an IPA though if time permits & it's ready.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:56 am

MMMmmm, yeah, where are you guys camped??? :D

Here's what I have planned for O/E.

Berlinerweisse
Cyser
Eucalyptus Mead
Cactus Mead
Frank's Nuts - Coconut peach cider
Cherry Saison
Saison Brux
Hoppopotamus IPA
Dusty Peaches Peach Pale Ale

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:46 am

I have no clue where I will be camping yet, possibly with the DFW Burner's non camp. Most likely I will try and make the homebrew pub crawl. I am hoping to make a cart for taking beer out to the deep playa, but will see if I have enough space. I may see if I can make my swamp unicooler big enough to keep my keg cool at camp during the day, otherwise will just have to keep them in the hexayurt when not in use.

My brews so far:

KBS style clone, was Breakfast stout but overshot my gravity. Just dry hopped about 4.5 gallons with 2 oz of sumatra coffee beans, already sitting on bourbon soaked oak chips, nibs and vanilla beans for a month or so.
Pliny Clone, Using Apollo instead of CTZ, not sure on the dry hop, but probably fruity.
10 gallons of all Citra saion
Lemon Lime Hefeweizen - need to start on my yeast starter and get this brewed in the next week. I add 64 oz of simply limeade once its past high krausen
Grape Pyment - welch's grape juice, honey, and wine yeast. Just back sweetened it last week
Oaked Cherry Apfelwein

mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:49 pm

rideincircles wrote:I have no clue where I will be camping yet, possibly with the DFW Burner's non camp. Most likely I will try and make the homebrew pub crawl. I am hoping to make a cart for taking beer out to the deep playa, but will see if I have enough space. I may see if I can make my swamp unicooler big enough to keep my keg cool at camp during the day, otherwise will just have to keep them in the hexayurt when not in use.

My brews so far:

KBS style clone, was Breakfast stout but overshot my gravity. Just dry hopped about 4.5 gallons with 2 oz of sumatra coffee beans, already sitting on bourbon soaked oak chips, nibs and vanilla beans for a month or so.
Pliny Clone, Using Apollo instead of CTZ, not sure on the dry hop, but probably fruity.
10 gallons of all Citra saion
Lemon Lime Hefeweizen - need to start on my yeast starter and get this brewed in the next week. I add 64 oz of simply limeade once its past high krausen
Grape Pyment - welch's grape juice, honey, and wine yeast. Just back sweetened it last week
Oaked Cherry Apfelwein

Wellllllll, we will have 6 taps on jockey boxes if you need some place to cool your beer. :D One of the jockey boxes is fairly mobile, it's a 5 gal home depot water cooler thing. Might fit on a bike trailer.

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:06 pm

If I have an issues with distribution, yall seem like the best place to turn. I was thinking about using my 10 gallon mash tun cooler to put the keg in and keep cool, just need to make a lid for it that it would stick out of. Still debating the best material for a lid, but i was thinking styrofoam. I was considering carving out a styrafoam block to make my swamp cooler, but am debating how easy it would be. Just an idea at the moment.

munney

Postby munney » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:51 pm

:cry: Cider in Cans :roll: , for all your Gluten Free Freaks :shock: out there. :lol:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hoolie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Isn't it obvious?

LaPlaya.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Postby Shoeshine » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:25 pm

OK got to throw out my $.02

Hoegaarden: it is a Belgian White with a very light and fresh taste with an herbal note mostly coriander and orange zest which sounds weird but is absolutely awesome out on playa.
Some point reyes blue cheese, olives of most any stripe, cornichons - super sour little french pickles, sliced bosc or bartlett pears (which survive quite well without refrigeration), bliss...
And a good chunk of the electrolytes you need in in a gastronomic orgasm.

BUT... downside is that it only comes in glass bottles, the accompaniments I like are pricey, and best enjoyed when you can still taste things.

So yeah.. bring a case of PBR too
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:58 am

Just finished brewing my lemon lime hefeweizen tonight which was the last beer I needed to brew. Going to rack over my double ipa and dry hop it in the next day or 2, and just started the dry hop on my citra saison. The KBS clone has been dry hopping on coffee beans for 2 weeks and I need to keg it once I empty a keg. Then I will have to empty about 5 more kegs for everything else in the next few weeks. May need to bottle some of that to make space.

All systems go.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:30 am

rideincircles wrote:If I have an issues with distribution, yall seem like the best place to turn. I was thinking about using my 10 gallon mash tun cooler to put the keg in and keep cool, just need to make a lid for it that it would stick out of. Still debating the best material for a lid, but i was thinking styrofoam. I was considering carving out a styrafoam block to make my swamp cooler, but am debating how easy it would be. Just an idea at the moment.

Jockey boxes are so easy to make with a cooler & some tubing. This weekends project is to improve the rig I took to our regional. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 2 wheeled golf bag that will hold a 5 gallon keg & jockey box. I'm just going to make the handle long enough to attach to a bicycle seat post.

My other attempts at mobile beer dispensing have not gone so well but I've learned from each failure. That's why failure exists isn't it (to learn from)?

When is the homebrew pub crawl? Where does it start?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 am

I believe the homebrew crawl is going to be on tuesday. Schedule is still being worked out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/com ... _homebrew/

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:21 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:I believe the homebrew crawl is going to be on tuesday. Schedule is still being worked out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/com ... _homebrew/

+++ :coffee:

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby Bexx » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:46 am

Ben's Liqour in Reno has a fine selection of beers. It's where I stopped in 2013 and went bonkers. there are so many great beers out there in cans now.. Hell the fat tire cans even say "leave no trace" on them! PBR will cool you off in hot minute - as will Tecate. Bonus if you've got a lime to squeeze in it. Just don't but the actual lime slice in there. Shock top is out in both cans and the aluminum bottles. There are also a bunch of great ciders out there in cans as well. Smith & Forge and Angry Orchard. I was just at a total wine and more taking notes on what I wanna bring! Oh, and I do so love a good stout for breakfast!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Cancel my double IPA plans. The entire keg leaked out last night. May just bring the cyser I made with wheat beer yeast instead, but Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:58 pm

rideincircles wrote:Cancel my double IPA plans. The entire keg leaked out last night. May just bring the cyser I made with wheat beer yeast instead, but Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Oh my God!The humanity the humanity! This is the worst thing ever!

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Luckily there is about 2-3 small glasses left so its not a total loss. I haven't lost a whole keg before, but that was pretty much all of it on this one. It was a pliny clone and is quite awesome. No time for sorrow, too much to do. hexayurt hinges are all done at least.

mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:56 pm

rideincircles wrote:Luckily there is about 2-3 small glasses left so its not a total loss. I haven't lost a whole keg before, but that was pretty much all of it on this one. It was a pliny clone and is quite awesome. No time for sorrow, too much to do. hexayurt hinges are all done at least.

That sucks. I'm always worried about that happening when I force carb.

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:11 pm

This is a 2-3" deep pool of sadness. I removed the kegs yesterday, but still have to clean this up tonight. Been way too busy to deal with it this week. This has happened on at least 4 occasions, but usually 2 gallons or less.

RIP Bill Murray The Elder. You will be reborn soon enough, just not out on the playa.

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby SquirrelHead » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:49 am

I found that COLD beer was the best beer on the playa. Past that it didn't really matter what it was. Don't get me wrong, I had some delicious home brews out there but for the most part ice cold beer was a delicious treat.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Major Mallet
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: PlayaWaste Raiders

Postby Major Mallet » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:45 am

Ice cold Sol beer with lime or good 'ol PBR. Perfect for hot day / all day drinking.
Back to Burn in 2016 or Bust!

rideincircles

Postby rideincircles » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 pm

The beer cart came out great. I made it to the last stop on the homebrew pub crawl Tuesday and hung out there for a while. I guess there was another homebrew crawl on Wednesday also, but I didn't know about it. I ended up killing my kegs of citra saison, lemon lime hefeweizen, and grape soda. I went thru around half of the breakfast stout and didn't get around to tapping the apfelwein and my cider was pretty flat so I didn't bother with that much.

I should have started earlier in the week on the beer cart idea. I took it out a few times and it doesn't take long to have a group of 15 people in the middle of the road drinking beer. I titled it Obie's dusty beer cart, and I ended up camping by 8:00 and Ilusion next to dawn patrol which had the air balloon art car.

It was cold enough at night that I didn't need to bother with ice since the kegs were chilled, I just would throw the keg in my swamp cooler that had space to chillout a keg, then throw it in my water cooler and keep it out of the sun. I had no complaints, and lots of best beer on the playa compliments. I never ended up making it by many camps, and probably spent too much time near my camp, but I was always filling up whoever needed a beer in the camps nearby. Being my first burn, I was still figuring things out, but by the end of the week, I would just post up on a street and yell random things at people to get them to stop by and have a beer. Next time, I will see if i can have a bigger and better supply.

I made it by homebrew 4 a homebrew and met God on Monday on my last Arctica run. So many more things I wish I could have done, but that's how it goes at the Burn.

Will try and go bigger and better whenever I can make it back.

mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Our beer output seemed a little slow this year, we actually had to bring some home. I think the cold weather cut people's thirst towards the end of the week, although it was great for the kegs.
Good thing is that we will have plenty of beer for YOUtopia in October. :D

mooserider
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I left the playa this year with 5 unopened cases of beer. Oh, Lord above, what did I do wrong?

mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 am

Yeah, wtf was wrong with everyone. We had to return half full kegs. :D

Return to “Food & Drink”