275 gallon water storage crate

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
RedManRising
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Anat's Love Camp

275 gallon water storage crate

Post by RedManRising » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:31 pm

You have all seen the 275 gallon water storage cubes with the aluminum frames. I have acquired one that is brand new, never used, and safe for potable water.

Does anyone have experience hauling one of these to the playa?

I have a 14' enclosed Wells Cargo Roadforce trailer that is rated to haul 7000 pounds of cargo. I am pulling it behind a vehicle rated to pull that weight. I am traveling from the Bay Area to BRC via I-80. Obviously, load balance will be critical with 2200 pounds of water plus other cargo.

I want to fill the tank in Nevada so I am not hauling the water up over the pass.

My requests for advice:

1. How to plan location of the tank in the trailer for balance while empty and after full, without having to rearrange everything in trailer when filling;

2. Good places to get potable water in Nevada, along route, that are not too expensive.

Thanks!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: 275 gallon water storage crate

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:17 pm

It's not that big a deal. I tow an MV that weighs three times that.
Generally speaking, you want your hitch weight to be about 10% of the trailer weight. Personally I like it even more than that, if your vehicle can handle it.

If I were loading it, I'd put the tank just slightly ahead of centered on the axles.

Nice BM item!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:41 pm

How to you plan on disposing of that much water? Do you have two of these critters? One for clean/potable, and the other for grey water?
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I strapped one directly over the axles of my 7800 lbs rated trailer using 4 of those vehicle ratchet straps...no problems

filled it up at the Chevron at Fernley, for free with my truck fill-up (but that was in 2009....not sure if they still allow it)
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Major Krash wrote:I strapped one directly over the axles ...
^^^ THIS
So empty/full it doesn't change your balance/tongue-tongue weight. Use the other load items to balance for your tongue weight.

If it's not going to be full, there may be sloshing of the load; place the crate's center slightly forward of the axle, to ensure a rearward slosh doesn't lift the trailer tongue.

IMHO
Not carrying water up to Reno is a good idea, but to avoid the load and the required gas consumption from Reno or Fernley, and the 'fun' of towing that load up beyond Pyramid Lake, I'd suggest seeing if they're selling municipal potable water in Gerlach again this year. Usually costs more than potable water in Reno or Fernley, but you save big on gas consumed on the hills between Fernley and Gerlach, and a lighter, easier and safer load. And it helps our nearest neighbour earn something back towards the cost of their water treatment facility.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:24 pm

It's only 2200 pounds. It's not going to make a noticeable difference in fuel cost.
I wouldn't wait until my last possible opportunity to fill up, that leaves no room for an oh-shit.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

RedManRising

Post by RedManRising » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:57 pm

I appreciate all of the good advice. Slightly forward center over the axels is what I was thinking so as to not dramatically increase tongue weight. Was planning to completely fill it to reduce the sloshing issue plus the water is needed in the camp. multiple arrangements are made for grey water disposal: very large grey water tank at camp with scheduled pick-ups; evaporation systems to get rid of as much as possible; and I also have water pumps and empty tanks to pack it out if the other means are insufficient and/or fail. Radical self-reliance coupled with ultimate responsibility for leaving no trace.

I like the idea of filling up in Gerlach but share in the worry about leaving it to the last outpost. I will make some calls to see what confirmation there is about the availability of the resource. At that point I will also have 1200 pounds of fuel on board so I am very mindful of safely distributing weight and driving cautiously.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:08 am

"I will also have 1200 pounds of fuel on board"

"Burning Since 2015"
I assume you've already found the mandatory on-playa fire safety fuel storage rules?

https://thegoodnewsreview.wordpress.com ... tap-water/
is showing a prior years details
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

RedManRising

Post by RedManRising » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:00 am

Hi Canoe,

Regarding fuel storage, yes I have read the regs and have prepared to comply with all of them. Thank you for asking that important question.

I also appreciate the link to the Gerlach water source information.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:44 am

RedManRising wrote:Hi Canoe,

Regarding fuel storage, yes I have read the regs and have prepared to comply with all of them. Thank you for asking that important question.

I also appreciate the link to the Gerlach water source information.

OK but how are you going to comply with this:
No more than 110 gallons or two 55-gallon drums may be stored in a camp at one time. Note: Nevada law prohibits transportation of more than 110 gallons of fuel in any vehicle without proper permitting, signage and required insurance.
So the transport thing seems straightforward enough, assuming you have time to get the necessary permits and insurance, and attach approved signs to your trailer. But the 110 gallon limit seems tough...gasoline is 6 pounds per gallon, so they're saying you can't have more than 660 pounds of gasoline in camp (a bit more than that if diesel). You said you're going to have 1200 pounds of fuel. Do you just have four 55 gallon barrels you plan to drop off at various camps?

RedManRising

Post by RedManRising » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 pm

My bad, I was figuring 8 pounds per gallon like water rather than 6 pounds per gallon for gas. So, let me just talk about actual gallons.

The RV fuel tank is 75 gallons, which does not count in the fuel storage calculations because it is in the vehicle. What I am carrying in an enclosed, steel cargo trailer is an additional 80 gallons in 16 five gallon cans. Four cans fit in each of four fuel safe tubs for secondary leak protection. I am bringing three 3-A:40-B:C fire extinguishers. Also, fuel safe containment to protect the playa during fuel transfers. So, a total of 155 gallons (minus fuel used from last fill-up to camp), with only 80 gallons stored for refilling RV tank and other generators.

I hope that makes the plan clearer. Any holes?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:15 am

They've updated their site.
Water Rates:
50 cents per gallon – 1 to 100 gallons
45 cents per gallon – 100 to 200 gallons
40 cents per gallon – 200 gallons or more
Full reusable containers of water are available for sale in 6, 7 and 15-gallon size.
** Cash only, but ATM is onsite.

Hours for 2015:
Aug 24-26 9am-5pm
Aug 27 9am-6pm
Aug 28-30 8am-12am
Aug 31-Sep 1 9am-8pm
Sep 2 9am-5pm

Note:
If it is busy around closing time, the crew will stay late to accommodate people.

Return to “Food & Drink”