Beer - Colder Than Ice....

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Beer - Colder Than Ice....

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Since I like my O'Doul's as cold as I can get it, last year I tried something and it worked -- it worked really well.

I was going to make some homemade ice cream, but the cooler weather and the dust storms did not make that very practical.

Instead, I put a loose six pack of my beer in a small personal-style ice chest, covered the cans with ice, allowed the ice to melt a bit and then stirred in about a 1-1/2 cups of my ice cream salt.

In ~30 minutes, I had one of the coldest beers anyone could ever wish for. Next year, when we have hotter weather (and we will have hotter weather next year) the "colder than ice" beer will taste even better.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Beer - Colder Than Ice....

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:Since I like my O'Doul's as cold as I can get it.
I have some really bad news for you: O'Doul's is not beer. Not even alcoholic. It sucks. Only vermin drink it.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:27 am

I'm pissed off, your idea is going to steal the glory from my steaming-hot beer stand.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:49 am

I think you can use a fire extinguisher to cool your beer down too
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:41 am

lucky420 wrote:I think you can use a fire extinguisher to cool your beer down too
The danger of that is you might have to use your beer to put out a fire.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:25 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
lucky420 wrote:I think you can use a fire extinguisher to cool your beer down too
The danger of that is you might have to use your beer to put out a fire.
..which brings us back to choosing O'Douls

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:19 am

Meat Hunter wrote:In ~30 minutes, I had one of the coldest beers anyone could ever wish for. Next year, when we have hotter weather (and we will have hotter weather next year) the "colder than ice" beer will taste even better.
I have done this on occasion (only with actual beer) and you have to be careful that it doesn't freeze which makes it hard to drink.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by tamarakay » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:24 am

I love you guys. Still laughing.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 pm

I am wondering if salt will help harden my little ol' man problem....? It would be a lot less expensive that those "little blue pills".

Which reminds me of what my doctor told me. He advised me that instead of me eating 3 dozen oysters, all that I needed to do was to eat was 1 oyster -- and place a "little blue pill" on top.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Yea, and aspirin prevents pregnancy. If you hold the pill between your knees.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 am

I saw a box of coarse ice cream salt yesterday. On the side of the box, it recommended sprinkling some into ice around your drinks to cool them down extra fast.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:39 am

It'll also make your pasta water boil faster!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:09 am

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get kisses sweeter than wine?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:10 pm

use your charm ^^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how I can get kisses sweeter than wine?
Tell them you're with the BRCCP, chicks dig it!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:56 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote:It'll also make your pasta water boil faster!
Nuh uh! Salt actually raises the boiling temperature of water (by only a little). It does make the pasta taste better though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:04 am

I understand that it shortens cooking time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:37 am

For anyone tapping homebrew (not to be confused with O'Douls), 40' of 1/4" copper coiled in a small cooler tapped very cold beer straight from uncooled kegs & the ice lasted about 1 day on the Playa this year. On hotter burns that may be less, but ice is cheap & gives you water for the evap cooler or shower later. I tried chilling the whole keg in previous years & ended up with over engineered contraptions that didn't last the week. The cooler "jockey box" is far from rocket science but it works great.

Now if I were to add salt to the cooler ice..................
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:39 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how I can get kisses sweeter than wine?

Drink nasty sour wine is probably your best bet but not recommended.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:54 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:For anyone tapping homebrew (not to be confused with O'Douls), 40' of 1/4" copper coiled in a small cooler tapped very cold beer straight from uncooled kegs & the ice lasted about 1 day on the Playa this year. On hotter burns that may be less, but ice is cheap & gives you water for the evap cooler or shower later. I tried chilling the whole keg in previous years & ended up with over engineered contraptions that didn't last the week. The cooler "jockey box" is far from rocket science but it works great.

I've heard the copper coils can be dangerous to use for carbonated beverages, as they copper leaches into the liquid passing through it. I have no idea if it's significant enough to cause health problems, but I use stainless steel. :D

On the salt/ice aspect you'll probably freeze the beer in the coils which is a pain in the butt to thaw out and get the beer flowing again. :D Also it will corrode the hell out of any metal fittings and the coils in the jockey box.

remi

Post by remi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:For anyone tapping homebrew (not to be confused with O'Douls), 40' of 1/4" copper coiled in a small cooler tapped very cold beer straight from uncooled kegs & the ice lasted about 1 day on the Playa this year. On hotter burns that may be less, but ice is cheap & gives you water for the evap cooler or shower later. I tried chilling the whole keg in previous years & ended up with over engineered contraptions that didn't last the week. The cooler "jockey box" is far from rocket science but it works great.

I've heard the copper coils can be dangerous to use for carbonated beverages, as they copper leaches into the liquid passing through it. I have no idea if it's significant enough to cause health problems, but I use stainless steel. :D

On the salt/ice aspect you'll probably freeze the beer in the coils which is a pain in the butt to thaw out and get the beer flowing again. :D Also it will corrode the hell out of any metal fittings and the coils in the jockey box.
Us burners have an extraordinarily high immune system from exposing ourselves to.. well.. burning man. A little copper will just make your poo shinier.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:18 pm

BBadger wrote:
A-RockLeFrench wrote:It'll also make your pasta water boil faster!
Nuh uh! Salt actually raises the boiling temperature of water (by only a little). It does make the pasta taste better though.
Yeah huh!

well.. technically salty water does have a higher boiling point. But as water becomes saltier the heat capacity of the water is lowered, less heat capacity means it takes less heat applied to heat the water to boiling point.

So yes. And no. But hotter water would theoretically cook pasta faster....

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 am

Open a real beer in a 22-Oz bottle. Dink 3/4 right away. Top off with Vodka and re-seal. Place in freezer of choice.

Colder than ice and double efficiency.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:49 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:

I've heard that ingesting post nuclear testing Nevada dust can be bad for you too.

Meh!

:o

Really no need to add salt to the cooler ice. Was just say'n.......

Stainless is the way to go if you have a set-up that works & you intend to keep using it. I'm just not there yet.

test517
Camp Name: Gears and Beers

Post by test517 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Stainless is the way to go if you have a set-up that works & you intend to keep using it. I'm just not there yet.
That is what we are using at G&B for the last two years, it works great. A little pricy, but worth it. Also cooling the keg in a plastic garbage can helps a ton as well.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Not a critique, just an honest question--what to do with the leftover salty water?

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:22 pm

What to do with the left over salt water? I never thought that anyone would ever ask.

Add a half handful of crushed dill weed, a couple of minced garlic cloves, three or four chopped red peppers, a number of carrot and onion slices, 6 quartered and sliced cucumbers; shake a few times, allow to sit two days in the shade, strain out the veggies and make Pickeltini's...........
Last edited by Meat Hunter on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vidi ego exars.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm

test517 wrote:
That is what we are using at G&B for the last two years, it works great. A little pricy, but worth it. Also cooling the keg in a plastic garbage can helps a ton as well.
New 50' coils are about $100 or so, so not crazy expensive. I found several used jockey boxes on craigslist for fairly cheap, and took the coils to make a 3 tap box.

test517
Camp Name: Gears and Beers

Post by test517 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:28 pm

New 50' coils are about $100 or so, so not crazy expensive. I found several used jockey boxes on craigslist for fairly cheap, and took the coils to make a 3 tap box.
I think we paid $75 each for our 2 3/8" 50' coils. Worth every penny so far.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:52 am

Once I have a setup that I really like I'm probably going with stainless steel plate heat exchangers. They are available on a popular retail site that rhymes with Spamazon for $46. My problem is that I like to take my beer out on the Playa to share so it has to be portable. The cooler is easy, its the mode of transportation that I keep changing. A tow behind beer cooler/cart is what I used this year but it needs some design refinements. I need to find a free/cheap bicycle tow behind kid hauler. Or just make one.
chiller.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Food & Drink”