Beer - Colder Than Ice....

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: Beer - Colder Than Ice....

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:38 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:Once I have a setup that I really like I'm probably going with stainless steel plate heat exchangers. They are available on a popular retail site that rhymes with Spamazon for $46. My problem is that I like to take my beer out on the Playa to share so it has to be portable. The cooler is easy, its the mode of transportation that I keep changing. A tow behind beer cooler/cart is what I used this year but it needs some design refinements. I need to find a free/cheap bicycle tow behind kid hauler. Or just make one.
I've seen someone with a roller cooler that just stuck a 2.5 gallon corny keg in it as well as a small CO2 tank. I guess you could add a coil/chill plate too but probably not necessary when the keg gets completely chilled. Probably would shake the crap out of the cooler if you towed it but a trailer would work I bet.

I don't have much experience with the chill plates but we had one at our regional last weekend and were serving kombucha and ginger ale out of it and it was pouring nicely.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:39 am

+ on theThe Plate Heat Exchanger - Solid Gold if you brew.

Can use for cooling down the wort while brewing, then switch to dispensing.

Way more efficient than a coil.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:22 pm

asr9754 wrote:Not a critique, just an honest question--what to do with the leftover salty water?
Where I work we use it to pretreat the highways prior to a snowstorm so, if it snows where you live, put some in a 5 gallon or so pump sprayer and spray it on your driveway and/or sidewalks. No garauntee but it might reduce snow from binding to the driveway surface which would make shoveling easier.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:20 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:well.. technically salty water does have a higher boiling point. But as water becomes saltier the heat capacity of the water is lowered, less heat capacity means it takes less heat applied to heat the water to boiling point.

So yes. And no. But hotter water would theoretically cook pasta faster....
Nuh... hmmm... yeah, after reading up more on this, I think you're right about the boiling speed. Though adding salt to the pasta water is really for the flavor.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:04 am

And I add oil to the water because my mother did.

So...The young woman was having her parents over for dinner. When she served the pot roast her mother asked her why it was in 2 pieces. She replied 'I cut it just like you always did when you cooked it'. Mom said, ' I cut it because I didn't have a big enough pot'.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:01 am

Every time I see this thread title I get Foreigner's "Cold As Ice" song in my head.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:24 am

I wonder if there are enough salts in playa dust to lower the freezing point of water.

Thecatman
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:14 pm

mudpupy000 wrote:I wonder if there are enough salts in playa dust to lower the freezing point of water.
Two years ago I saw a few inches of snow on the playa when taking a new hire on a drive test.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:00 am

BBadger wrote:Every time I see this thread title I get Foreigner's "Cold As Ice" song in my head.
I suffer from an affliction where I get a random obscure old song stuck in my head, and I have to play it to make it go away. Thank god for YouTube, it's always on there. Drives Charlie nuts, at least once a week I have to play some screwy thing in the morning while we're eating breakfast.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:53 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
BBadger wrote:Every time I see this thread title I get Foreigner's "Cold As Ice" song in my head.
I suffer from an affliction where I get a random obscure old song stuck in my head, and I have to play it to make it go away. Thank god for YouTube, it's always on there. Drives Charlie nuts, at least once a week I have to play some screwy thing in the morning while we're eating breakfast.
Goddammit Captain!

Now I'll be spending the next hour wandering from one video to the next :-)

Lets get this party startEd

[media]
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 pm

I missed the Burn last year. Does anyone have some homebrew success stories or failures that they would like to share? I'm still going with a beerbike to share homebrew with all my new best friends. I'll probably need to downsize to 2.5 - 3 gallon kegs to make it work but I would really like to have my beer, cooler, & dispensing all on the bike rather than towing it.

I'm looking at a stainless plate chiller for cooling the beer & leaving the kegs at ambient temp. That worked fine in 2015 when I used a copper coil jockey box. If I understand the concept of the chiller you run your coolant (ice water) through one side & your beer through the other side. I was thinking of just submerging the chiller in an ice water bath & running the beer through both sides(circuits) of the chiller. Is there any disadvantage to this? Should I avoid submerging the chiller? I wanted to do this to avoid the need for a coolant pump to circulate it.

I think no matter how you do it, the small footprint of the plate chiller makes up for the extra cost.

I'm not trying to get the coldest beer known to Man, just nice cold beer on the Playa.

Any thoughts?

Also, what's your favorite Homebrew on the Playa? What didn't work??

I usually take a good Java Stout, an IPA, a smoked Porter (hot pepper/bourbon barrel), and a light Ale for chillaxing in the heat of the day.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

VgKing

Post by VgKing » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 am

Ratty wrote:Yea, and aspirin prevents pregnancy. If you hold the pill between your knees.
This must be the craziest thing I have heard since I came out of the incubator :lol:

Mountain Bobby
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Mountain Bobby » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 pm

What you are talking about is commonly called a sweet water cooler. Most restaurants use them at their water stations. It is a flat plate that is at the bottom of the ice bin, the water at the fill faucet just goes through the flat place first. In the case of your beer stainless steel would be much better. You could even try dry ice as long as the beer (or any liquid) didn't stop flowing for too long.
Deviation from the norm will be punished unless it is exploitable
Nice zipper on those pants...mind if I try it out? :P
Cute toes taste better!

Return to “Food & Drink”