Batch Cooking

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Batch Cooking

Post by danibel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:46 pm

trilobyte wrote:I've done both over the years, no issues (though I personally prefer not to freeze if I can avoid it). Your mileage may vary, but for us custom-making each bag was kind of a pain, especially as we found that most single serving stuff easily fits in a pint bag.
I'm sure some food doesn't hold up well when frozen and reheated. I will ponder that.

If I owned the food saver, I might be more inclined to buy a wide assortment of sizes/types, but I am borrowing this from a friend to try this year. If it goes well, I might invest in food saver. They are pricey!
In dust we trust.

Madgirl
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 am

Danibel, keep an eye out for a used one at your local thrift store or on Craigslist....I got mine used (with a bunch of bags) for $10 and it works like a champ.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:14 am

danibel wrote:
After seven years of cooking fresh food and dealing with gallons of grey water from washing dishes, I am done. I have access to a food saver and I am looking at 8 inch or 11 inch rolls (food grade - no BPA, for sure). Any recommendations?

Planning on buying some of my favorite take out (noodle dishes with veggies, some chinese), and making enchiladas-beans-rice, and perhaps a few other yummy things. I want to freeze these and keep in the freezer until I leave Monday the 29th - throw them in my food cooler with blocks and hope that they last the week. Is this possible? I really do not want to deal with dry ice, as I don't think it will last long enough anyway. I will keep the cooler iced of course, I just want to make sure I don't get me or my sweetie sick.

Also - when it comes to heating - how do you tell if the food is done? I am guessing simmer it for a bit, then pinch the middle of the bag to see if it's hot? There may not be an answer to this - because all food would heat differently?
So how did this work out for you last year?

Anyone else discover the joy of vacuum sealing and reheating?
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Many of my friends go that route of sealing and boiling. Works well for them, and I might go that route too this year.

You should look into those large vacuum sealing rolls, as it is much cheaper. I'll probably just look at what Amazon recommends.

Often what you'll cook should be already cooked, and you're just reheating the contents. That way you'll know when your food is done when it is hot enough to eat (melty cheese?), without worrying whether it's safe. Also consider running experiments at home with your meals.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

danibel

Post by danibel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Kelsier wrote:
danibel wrote:
After seven years of cooking fresh food and dealing with gallons of grey water from washing dishes, I am done. I have access to a food saver and I am looking at 8 inch or 11 inch rolls (food grade - no BPA, for sure). Any recommendations?

Planning on buying some of my favorite take out (noodle dishes with veggies, some chinese), and making enchiladas-beans-rice, and perhaps a few other yummy things. I want to freeze these and keep in the freezer until I leave Monday the 29th - throw them in my food cooler with blocks and hope that they last the week. Is this possible? I really do not want to deal with dry ice, as I don't think it will last long enough anyway. I will keep the cooler iced of course, I just want to make sure I don't get me or my sweetie sick.

Also - when it comes to heating - how do you tell if the food is done? I am guessing simmer it for a bit, then pinch the middle of the bag to see if it's hot? There may not be an answer to this - because all food would heat differently?
So how did this work out for you last year?

Anyone else discover the joy of vacuum sealing and reheating?
Ah thanks for asking! Overall I'd say this was the way to go. The pre-baked potatoes were the best part. I recommend smaller rather than larger for ease of heating through. Also, need to pre-freeze anything that has liquid, like sauce. I found the vacuum sucked the liquid too much and didn't create a good seal. The polenta and sauce was good, as was the take out sticky rice. If I had more food prep time I would have made breakfast burritos, ah well, next time! Oh. Don't try to seal grapes. Not sure what I was thinking, but let's just say, it wasn't optimal.
In dust we trust.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:21 am

I prefreeze any dishes with a substantial liquid content in freezer containers with snap on lids, then the next day pop the frozen chunk out into my heat seal bag and put it on the vacuum sealer. No mess. And you can let them thaw a bit after sealing and mash them down flat and freeze them up into flat packs that take up less space.

I'm no nutritionist, but I would bet foods with a higher acidic content, would be more resistant to spoilage as they thaw. Link to Food safety and pH values web page

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:36 am

Frida Be You & Me

Jordancc

Post by Jordancc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Protip - if you'd like to vacuum-seal liquids, like soups, just freeze them first :-)
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Return to “Food & Drink”