Venison Jerky....

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Venison Jerky....

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am

This morning, I finished turning 13.5 lbs. of raw venison into 7.3 lbs. of jerky for myself, three Burner friends who wanted some, two Burner friends for whom it will be a surprise to munch on while we are on the playa this year and a good bit for me snack on at home.

Not food related, but today I am heading to my trailer man for him to adjust brakes and check & re-pack the bearings on my trailer. My trailer tires are now three years old (only 7,000 miles) and I will be replacing them and my two spares in the next week or so.

Weebdog
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Re: Venison Jerky....

Postby Weebdog » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:53 pm

It's good to do your brakes and bearings, but why would you replace 3 year old tires w/7000 miles on them? Tire manufacturers recommend tire replacement after 6 years or when the tires show wear or damage. If you do replace them use your 3 year old tires as the new spares.
Run Silent - Run Deep

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Trailer tires are notoriously ill made and even new trailer tires are subject to premature failure. Why replace three year old trailer tires is a good question?

My annual trip to BM is 4-1/2 days (one way), over 4,500 miles(round trip), across the steaming hot TX, AZ, NM and NV deserts highways and at Interstate speeds.

Nothing is guaranteed. Right or wrong, I just feel a tad bit safer with new tires all around.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:26 am

We have covers on our trailer tires, they rot as they sit in the sun and snow. The guy who made our trailer doesn't cheap out on the tires either.

Jerky, nom. I still like teriyaki turkey jerky best. I tried some pork Korean BBQ jerky, sticky, but fabulous.

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:45 am

Ahhhh....venison jerky. I have been tuning up my recipe for 25 years, make about 30 pounds finished each year. Only problem is having the 8-10 days spare to attend to the ordeal. End product is worth it. I have a recipe if anyone might want to try mine. (Low salt, slightly spicy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Sat May 14, 2016 11:47 am

Digging this up to say I love venison jerky. Haven't had any since I moved from MI 20yrs ago...

Drool...... :)
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Food & Drink”