First timer... What to bring?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: First timer... What to bring?

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 am

Craving shit you'd never eat or drink IRL is true. I don't drink soda. One year I wanted a cold Coke SO BAD it made me crazy. I have no idea why. But I bring a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, just in case (also goes great with booze).

EmergenC isn't electrolytes. I absolutely swear by [urlhttp://www.vitalyte.com/=]Vitalyte.[/url] I learned the electrolyte lesson the hard way and haven't had a problem since doing this at least 2x a day. I like the lemon, isn't too strong or sweet and makes a good cocktail mixer.

Here's a list of random "must-haves" I made for some virgin friends.

You'll also want to bring your choice of baby/STD-stoppers, because Irish accents are :shock: .

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:42 am

RE: fruit skins/rinds

Dry them out and burn them. You'll want some sort of mesh bag, properly secured; don't just lay them out in the sun where they'll get blown away for somebody else to deal with.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:32 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Craving shit you'd never eat or drink IRL is true. I don't drink soda. One year I wanted a cold Coke SO BAD it made me crazy. I have no idea why. But I bring a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, just in case (also goes great with booze).
Oh yeah, that is sooooo good out there. I like an Orange Crush out there too. I'll bring like half a case and enjoy it, and then the other half will rot at home and eventually get dumped.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:36 pm

BBadger wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:Craving shit you'd never eat or drink IRL is true. I don't drink soda. One year I wanted a cold Coke SO BAD it made me crazy. I have no idea why. But I bring a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, just in case (also goes great with booze).
Oh yeah, that is sooooo good out there. I like an Orange Crush out there too. I'll bring like half a case and enjoy it, and then the other half will rot at home and eventually get dumped.
Aw man. That does sound good...maybe Fresca, too. sugarsugarsugarsugar!

My first year - before I knew the power of electrolytes - I was *physically* thirsty until like, Thursday. Somebody brought a community cooler full of random sodas and juices and flavored milks and I drank them all, trying to not be thirsty. Thankfully my veteran friend said "...have you been drinking electrolytes?" Changed everything. But, I learned that unhealthy things I usually avoid are mighty tasty out there, and can turn a day around.

Like cold pickle juice. 8)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

I got that too. I would drink lots of water, but would just be pissing it out and still be thirsty. Then, instead of water, I drank some Gatorade -- which isn't even a great electrolyte drink -- and I felt just so much better and didn't need to drink so much. This is why I suggest people drink electrolyte drinks for "hydration" and leave most of their regular water for bathing/cooling or just to enjoy rather than as the primary hydration liquid.

One thing you should do is rinse out your mouth after drinking drinks like Gatorade because that cocktail of fructose and other stuff is bad for your teeth.

Mmmm pickle juice.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:08 pm

BACON

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Bacon with nipple.

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Netty58 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Cans of cold mandarine oranges. I hoarded them and wouldn't share.

Return to “Food & Drink”