Favorite recipes - easy food

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
sparklerice
Burning Since: 2017

Favorite recipes - easy food

Post by sparklerice » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

I've been burning for 2 years in the Southeast region (Transformus, Alchemy, Love Burn, Euphoria).... This year will be my first trip to Black Rock - pending ticket acquisition! Food prep is pretty simple for the smaller burns, 3-5 days, lots of shade, one cooler, easy access to camp.

What are your tips for food? Favorite recipes? Tips for snacks while exploring? Food storage and accessibility?

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Favorite recipes - easy food

Post by some seeing eye » Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 am

Welcome to ePlaya!

This topic gets discussed often. There is a whole section devoted to it: viewforum.php?f=276 - ePlaya>Event Preparation>Food & Drink. ePlaya has a search function too. But using search terms and site:eplaya.burningman.org on Google works better. Some search terms are food, coolerless, kitchen, shelf stable, recipe, recipes, cooking, vegan, meat, vegetables, etc.

The main burningman.org has a shopping in Reno section listing many food stores with their addresses, and Yelp works in Reno.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Beef jerkey, cans of soup, nuts, crackers, cans of fruit (cold in the cooler....mmmmmm), pickles, hard boiled eggs.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Quesadillas (premade frozen, or fresh). Big bag of pepperoni sticks. Hard-frozen ziplock bags of homemade stew. Tasty Bites Indian food and prepared rice. Pretty much the only thing good from cans will be chili or dolmas. Pickles.

Electrolyte powders & tabs are unbelievably useful out there. They can be expensive, but gulp down a cup of that stuff when you're feeling tired and cranky and you will spring to life in a few minutes. They work when caffeine does nothing. Way more compact than premixed electrolyte drinks. Get some and thank me later.

For playa snacks, if you pick only one I'm gonna drop a brand name: white cheddar Cheeze-Its. I get a variety of small snacks; salt & pepper peanuts, sesame sticks, small hard candies, almonds, dried fruit, pretzels, protein chews. I'll mix up a snack bag "to taste" each morning.

sparklerice

Post by sparklerice » Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Chowski wrote:Beef jerkey, cans of soup, nuts, crackers, cans of fruit (cold in the cooler....mmmmmm), pickles, hard boiled eggs.
There's nothing better than pre peeled cold hard boiled eggs! Or maybe even pickled - if your feeling fancy. I hadn't thought of canned food yet! SMART! Thank you!

sparklerice

Post by sparklerice » Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm

maladroit wrote:Electrolyte powders & tabs are unbelievably useful out there. [...] For playa snacks, if you pick only one I'm gonna drop a brand name: white cheddar Cheeze-Its. .
YES WHITE CHEDDER CHEEZEITS. Loved those back when I could eat gluten. Le sigh - gluten allergies are terrible.

DOUBLE YES POINTS - electrolyte tabs. Adding to my packing list now!! THANK YOU! <3

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Mon May 01, 2017 3:06 pm

I was a big fan of the Breakfast Burrito idea. I made up a bunch and froze them individually. Once on Playa I would defrost one or two, re-warm it, and I was all set. Could eat one right then or take with me for a lunch on the go. Only leftover moop is a little ball of aluminum foil that you can put in your moop bag or save for later when you are "altered" and want to hold something shiny.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Mon May 01, 2017 10:14 pm

sparklerice wrote:There's nothing better than pre peeled cold hard boiled eggs! Or maybe even pickled - if your feeling fancy.
Ooh... I've brought pre-peeled hard boiled eggs the last few years, and I've pickled eggs before, but I never thought about pickling them for the playa. Must remember to add that to my list this time around...

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Kelsier wrote:I was a big fan of the Breakfast Burrito idea. I made up a bunch and froze them individually. Once on Playa I would defrost one or two, re-warm it, and I was all set. Could eat one right then or take with me for a lunch on the go.
This also works quite well for non-breakfast-burritos, though someone (perhaps maladroit?) mentioned a while back that you can put all the same stuff in a quesadilla and have the advantage of a thinner, more evenly distributed packet that thaws quicker.

For the uninitiated, defrosting is pretty easy - we just stick a few out in the sun at breakfast, and they're fully thawed by noon. If we need them more quickly or need to crisp them up, they can be tossed on a grill in the aluminum foil, or unwrapped and crisped up in a pan.

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am

Papa Bear wrote:For the uninitiated, defrosting is pretty easy - we just stick a few out in the sun at breakfast, and they're fully thawed by noon.....
Personally I would not go this route; too many food safety classes. When I thaw I move the frozen item from the freezer cooler to the refrigerator cooler the day/night before. Leaving things out at room temperature (though usually room temperature is quite a bit higher out there) can leave food in the "danger zone" for bacteria growth. Any tummy issues I can avoid on playa is worth the extra time. If I messed up the night before and don't have the time to wait, since I freeze and vacuum seal, food can be reheated in simmering water directly from frozen.

Defrosting a burrito out in the sun might not be TOO bad, but definitely never do this with frozen raw meat. Safety third, but not when it comes to food safety. :roll:
I'll get the net.

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Tue May 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Kelsier wrote:Defrosting a burrito out in the sun might not be TOO bad, but definitely never do this with frozen raw meat.
*Definitely* not with raw meat (ours are smoked meats, fully cooked before they're ever rolled up in a burrito).

I have occasionally wondered what the food safety risk would be (if anything, I wonder most about the rice), but the camp's been doing this for nearly two decades now without incident.

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm

I frequently will eat foods that were left out too long or I would otherwise not feed to other people. So no judgement on my part. I had to brush up on all the safety rules when I started using a sous vide (made some GREAT tri tip and pork loin for the playa last year - at least I think it was great, and it went quickly at the Hushville Cocktail party).

Rice is definitely considered a high risk food. I'm still probably going to bring some frozen portions for my chicken tikka masala, but I'll be extra careful defrosting those, if I defrost them at all.
I'll get the net.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Take your dashboard food (or Chef Boyardee) with an Imodium chaser.

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Tue May 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Well, to be honest, I wonder about the rice in other people's burritos. There's none in mine.

(Each of us makes our own, and since I never could understand why anyone would waste room in a burrito with simple bland carbs that could be better used for other fixings, I skip that particular ingredient.)

You actually sous vide on playa? How many portions do you prep? I've considered it, but have never done more than a couple portions at a time, and in my camp I'd be feeding 25 or so.

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Wed May 03, 2017 8:41 am

Naw, I do the Sous Vide at home and then freeze. When it's time to consume I just boil a pot of water, turn it off, and throw the bag in. Flip it a few times and about 10 minutes later I'm good to go.

I was only providing food for myself and one other person, but I brought extra to share. I cut a Tri tip into thirds, seasoned and sealed each piece, then cooked to perfection. Did the same thing with the Pork Loin. I forgot my kitchen torch for searing the meat after reheating, but made do with a camp stove and grill pan.

The trick is after cooking them initially, you can't throw them straight in the freezer, but you still have to chill them quickly so the food isn't in the "danger zone" for bacteria growth. A big bowl of Ice water does the trick there.

You didn't ask all of these questions, I'm not sure why I'm still typing. Oh yeah.... explains why I'm hungry too.
I'll get the net.

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Sat May 13, 2017 8:32 am

Shelf-stable milk (in the individual tetra-packs) and granola is decent for a quick meal.

I love to make veggie chili near the end of the week, depending on how many people you are feeding - dump cans of beans, corn, mushrooms, tomatoes into a pot, add chili powder, a chopped onion or garlic or pepper if you have it, cook, serve with tortilla chips or fritos and shredded cheese if you have it. It's versatile and nourishing, and you can throw whatever odds and ends of random veggies you have to use them up.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

My favorite lazy food thread:

Realistic non-cooler based menu planning
viewtopic.php?t=35430

I do bring a cooler, but it's strictly for drinks!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Food & Drink”