Do activities requiring a food permit open up a camp's private kitchen to inspection/liability?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
DaSeamRipper
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: HornyCamp

Do activities requiring a food permit open up a camp's private kitchen to inspection/liability?

Post by DaSeamRipper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 am

Greetings all,

Our camp will, for the first time this year, be offering a very limited amount of food and drink to the public on two brief occasions. We're in the process of applying for a food permit and getting comfortable with the requirements, which don't seem to be too bad. A pre-emptive thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions and tips here!

One question - we're a placed camp of around 30 persons, and we have always operated a private kitchen where camp members cook their own meals. Our thought was to establish a separate small kitchen where food for the public, and only food for the public, would be prepared.

My question: Does being a camp that is offering food to the public / securing a permit mean that -any- food prep taking place in our camp - including our private kitchen - is now open to Health Department inspection? While we certainly take sensible precautions with our private food prep, I want to know how far scrutiny could go so that we can either ensure our private kitchen meets muster, or know with confidence that only the kitchen preparing food for the public is subject to inspection.

Thanks,
SeamRipper
----------
SeamRipper!
Co-Founder, HornyCamp
www.hornycamp.com
2016: 8:30 and C

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: TECTONIC

Re: Do activities requiring a food permit open up a camp's private kitchen to inspection/liability?

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 am

If you setup a secondary kitchen exclusively for permitted food prep and retain the first one for exclusively private prep (for under 120 people or whatever the # is this year) then only the kitchen that is permitted and serving food to the public is subject to inspection and/or liability by NV health authorities.

Set up your permitted kitchen correctly, i.e.: 3 compartment wash sink using bins and a hand washing station etc and you're good to go.

DaSeamRipper
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: HornyCamp

Re: Do activities requiring a food permit open up a camp's private kitchen to inspection/liability?

Post by DaSeamRipper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 am

Lovely - thanks for the info! Exactly what I was hoping for.
----------
SeamRipper!
Co-Founder, HornyCamp
www.hornycamp.com
2016: 8:30 and C

Return to “Food & Drink”