13th Burn, 1st on Low Sodium diet

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
flipit

13th Burn, 1st on Low Sodium diet

Post by flipit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Over the winter I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure and part of my keeping it under control is a low sodium diet.

The problem is that so much of what I buy in Reno (I fly-and-drive) and get gifted on the playa ain't low sodium.

For gifted foods like bacon, quesadillas and Midnight Poutine, I can try moderation of quantities. But that means I need to be a really good boy on my own food. Jerky lunch and Canned soups dinners have been staples of my minimalist playa cooking and potato and tortilla chips among snacks.

My off-playa lowest sodium staples are steaming frozen veggies and baby spinach salads are just not playa feasible for a tent camper.

So, if there are other playa vets being at least a bit loyal to your doctor's low sodium orders, what do you make?

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: 13th Burn, 1st on Low Sodium diet

Post by Popeye » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 am

I have oatmeal with nuts and raisins for breakfast, with coffee of course. Then I just do the no added salt thing for the rest of the day and usually dodge canned soups. I drink NUUN all day even though I have no idea how to pronounce it. :) .
I feel that as much as I sweat salts do not stay with me long.
I stop taking my BP meds on playa as it has a diuretic in it.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:13 am

I'm on low sodium, and my doc says when I am in the desert, to not shy away from sodium too much in a harsh environment for just a week. Body doing different things, BP is going to be a bit wonky anyway. Less ramen, no more canned soups or chilis. Thai or Indian food in pouches can be okay. Yogurt tubes and dried fruits with lower sodium crackers are good snacks. Try turkey jerky! Hydration is the main thing which will help. Just try to balance it out.

I do a ton of label reading, and I have lost my taste for sweets in the heat.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 am

I would strongly suggest you have a discussion with your health care provider about electrolyte replenishment on playa. The basic electrolytes are sodium, potassium and chlorine. Understand how to recognize the symptoms of electrolyte depletion, it is one of the most common life threatening conditions treated by playa medical.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 am

Go see your doctor NOW.

Explain the environment and get their professional view on this.

S/He may prescribe a routine or a madication for the trip.

Potassium is a mighty fine electrolyte.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:07 am

The playa is the ONLY place where I get to eat potato chips and other salty goods. Talk to your doctor! Mine said that water retention isn't around my ankles. It's in my torso, around my heart. Thus the higher BP. At the event, no to the pee pills. Yes to the BBQ chips, salami, crackers, jerky, chili beans etc... It's all I can do NOT to shrivel up and blow away out there. Talk to YOUR Dr!!
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

funkee olive
Burning Since: 2015

Post by funkee olive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:54 pm

How about no salt almond butter, tuna, low sodium box soup (Pacific), hard boiled eggs, low sodium deli meats.... and bacon.

Cheers

Return to “Food & Drink”