Electrolytes for Virgins

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Electrolytes for Virgins

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:33 pm

On your desert wilderness campout you need to be aware of electrolytes and electrolyte depletion which can lead to death.

What are electrolytes?

Me, you, and everyone we know has a body which runs a nervous system on electrolyte shift. It is chlorine, sodium and potassium ion shift across neuron - nervous system - cell walls.

Our body looses electrolytes by urine and sweat. That is why sweat and urine is salty. Electrolytes are salts.

If you do not have enough potassium, sodium and chlorine ions inside your body on the playa, because you have sweated and urinated them out, as we all do, you will loose focus, loose mobility, and loose life in that order as your nervous system, muscles then your entire body shuts down. Electrolyte depletion is a major diagnosis at playa medical. Do not hesitate to refer your self! If you think it is happening to your body, ask for help immediately anywhere where you are!

I referred myself.

I arrived well hydrated and continued to hydrate as I worked setting up camp. But I found myself focused on the moment only, fatigued and wanting to just sit down. I had a high heart rate which did not go down with sitting. My campmates are “you should go go to medical.” They were right.

Drinking enough water, piss clear, which is stressed, does not provide electrolytes. You need to drink water and piss clear, but that alone is not enough to survive in itself as I learned,

I walked to playa medical and they were super nice. I was given a choice then between 2 hours of (G) atorade or an IV. Chose the former. My experienced burner friend was evaced to a hospital in Reno for electrolyte depletion. They did not believe they could saver her with an on-playa IV. She is fine today thanks to that decision!

In the spirit if self reliance, bring electrolyte tablets, (P) edialite, safety store electrolyte tablets, (G) atoride powder and the like, or make your own from grocery “light salt" with potassium. It is cheap, most groceries have it.

Many burners talk about foods containing salt - usually sodium chloride. Your nervous system needs potassium to live too. Potassium is bananas, (P) edilite, light salt and safety salt. Table salt and salty foods do not contain potassium to survive.

If you are experiencing diarrhea or vomiting on playa you are loosing electrolytes. You need to restore them doubly. Talk to on-playa medical ASAP.

Electrolyte depletion is the leading world wide cause of death. It is because of digestive system disease resulting in diarrhea results in fatal electrolyte depletion.

IF YOU ARE VOMITING OR HAVE DIARRHEA-CONTINUOUS POOPING EVEN IF YOU THINK IT IS MINOR GO TO PLAYA MEDICAL!

If you have a heart rate which will not go down, go to playa medical right now!

We want you to survive!

If you are a solo camper, yea you!, do not hesitate to ask for help if you are not feeling physically well.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Re: Electrolytes for Virgins

Post by Sham » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Awesome post!!!
Everyone should read.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm

My electrolyte emergency was year 6 for me, My friend evaced to the hospital in Reno was later than year 4 for her. The intent posting is to have no virgin electrolyte medical emergencies.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Sham wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:51 pm
Awesome post!!!
Everyone should read.
Yep, thanks for the detailed info SSE, I've never felt like I had a real solid handle on the whole electrolyte thing, and this is a great primer.
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters. --Antonio Gramsci

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm
... The intent posting is to have no virgin electrolyte medical emergencies.
Avoidable medical emergency and an avoidable ruining of your Burn.
If I recall the stats correctly, this has been as much as 16% of Medical's load.

You'll also see posts on eplaya about its less severe cousin, Playa-Condition. Google eplaya.
Also entirely avoidable, Playa-Condition has you dehydrated and/or with lowered electrolytes, zapped of energy and missing out on your Burn.
Ignore Playa-Condition and your next stop can be the medical emergency.

Potassium: potatoes, Sqwincher (drink, liquid concentrate or powder; think industrial Gatorade with half the sodium and 50% more potassium - better than Gatorade, not in the league of Pedilite or others). Emergen-C is a good one as a Playa-Condition preventative, but Pedilite is stronger.
They're not cheap, but consider the cost of going to Burning Man and then losing out on your Burn.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 pm

I basically don't drink plain water on Playa. Every bottle of water I pour myself has an electrolyte tablet added to it. My personal fave is the original formula nuun, it's got a very light refreshing taste, and no sugar so it's not too sweet

Popeye
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Take at least two different kinds of electrolyte.
My first Burn I took enough coconut water, which I can enjoy off playa, but it turned out that it makes me nauseated on playa. Heat or altitude or what I don't know. Anyway by the end of the week I was feeling really bad and left a day early.
I was fine after I hit Reno and had 5 or 6 Bloody Mary's. :lol:
I use NUUN and V8 now.
Every form of refuge has its price

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Navel shots at the neighborhood bar are fortified with electrolytes!

Remember the PBR chaser so you stay hydrated!

And now back to the serious programming...

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I buy mine from walmart. 10 delicious individual pkgs for $2.00. I would mention that too much of any electrolyte has it's own bad side effects.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:33 am

Ratty wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm
I buy mine from walmart. 10 delicious individual pkgs for $2.00. I would mention that too much of any electrolyte has it's own bad side effects.
Dr. on playa in 2010 said Emergen-C was mild enough that you could take two or three a day without issue. This assumes you don't have a medical condition for which you shouldn't...

Virgins Note: individual packets are great for playa consumption! Single use, they can't accumulate playa dust through the week. Playa dust contains some stuff that you don't want to eat or drink, including - but not limited to - aquatic micro-fauna eggs & dead body parts, migratory bird droppings and bacteria. Which is why one of the food permit rules on-playa is food coolers have to be raised up off the playa soil. And why well-sealed food containers are so popular, along with seal-able bins for everything. Wash your hands.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:26 am

https://liquid-iv.com

This stuff is a lifesaver. Super light on the stomach... You can get it on amazon. Great for hangovers as well.

Minnow Shark
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by Minnow Shark » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 am

pedroescobar wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:26 am
https://liquid-iv.com

This stuff is a lifesaver. Super light on the stomach... You can get it on amazon. Great for hangovers as well.
favorite flavor?

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 am

They only had lemon lime when I got it. It was good. I think it is cheaper as well...

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 pm

From FEMA's https://www.ready.gov/heat
RECOGNIZE AND RESPOND

Know the signs of heat-related illness and the ways to respond to it:
  • HEAT CRAMPS
    • Signs: Muscle pains or spasms in the stomach, arms, or legs
    • Actions:
      . Go to a cooler location.
      . Remove excess clothing.
      . Take sips of cool sports drinks with salt and sugar.
      . Get medical help if cramps last more than an hour.
  • HEAT EXHAUSTION
    • Signs: Heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, headache, nausea or vomiting, or fainting
    • Actions:
      . Go to an air-conditioned place and lie down.
      . Loosen or remove clothing.
      . Take a cool bath.
      . Take sips of cool sports drinks with salt and sugar.
      . Get medical help if symptoms get worse or last more than an hour.
  • HEAT STROKE
    • Signs: Extremely high body temperature (above 103 degrees) taken orally; red, hot, and dry skin with no sweat; rapid, strong pulse; dizziness; confusion; or unconsciousness
    • Actions:
      * Call 911 or get the person to a hospital immediately.
      * Cool down with whatever methods are available until medical help arrives.

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 am

At my previous burns, I have gone with the following ratio of liquids (minimum, not including coffee and beer) for daily consumption.
3 liters of water
32 oz of Gatorade
11.5 oz of V-8
At the risk of being OCD (there is no D in OC), I label the containers of liquids for each day to make sure that I'm staying on track with being adequately hydrated.
Best Regards,
Leo

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Post by krly » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Kaiser's "re-hydration" drink is : 1 quart water
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
3-4 TBSP. sugar
NOT TO BE USED ON CHILDREN UNDER 12 !

If you just bring a few "batches" pre-measured and wrapped in Saran Wrap.....GOOD LUCK explaining it to whichever LEO catches ya with it..................
K

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm

krly wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:33 pm
Kaiser's "re-hydration" drink is : 1 quart water
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
3-4 TBSP. sugar
Baking soda = sodium bicarbonate - that produces fizz and contributes the sodium electrolyte
Table salt = sodium chloride - contributes the sodium and chlorine electrolytes
Sugar - contributes no electrolytes

You need a source of potassium. If you are making it yourself, which is cheaper and better, don't use table salt. Use "Light Salt" or "Reduced Sodium Salt" which are a mix of table salt - sodium chloride and another salt: potassium chloride. Then you have it all, sodium, potassium and chlorine ions - essential electrolytes.

Pedialyte is approved for all ages.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 pm

There are quite a few more ... some positive, some negative ions ... need both ...

Sodium (Na+)
Chloride (Cl-)
Potassium (K+)
Magnesium (Mg++)
Calcium (Ca++)
Phosphate (HPO4–)
Bicarbonate (HCO3-)

Milk is a pretty good source of all of them.

Bacon and bananas should cover it too.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 pm

If you have an unquenchable thirst, and yet are pissing all the time, you probably need electrolytes. Your body is trying to get them through the drink, but just gets them flushed out. Keeping a good balance will help you not need to piss so often too.

On another note, dogs will eat feces to get electrolytes if they don't get enough.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token

Post by Token » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am

And another note on electrolytes...

They come from food as well as drinks.

Getting them nutritious meals in on a somewhat regular basis is even more important on the Playa.

Foods provide slow-release of nutrients.

Drinks provide instant release of nutrients.

We need both, so never turn down that offer of crisp bacon!

Snacks all day long are a great way to ensure a good time.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Token wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 pm
There are quite a few more ... some positive, some negative ions ... need both ...

Sodium (Na+)
Chloride (Cl-)
Potassium (K+)
Magnesium (Mg++)
Calcium (Ca++)
Phosphate (HPO4–)
Bicarbonate (HCO3-)

Milk is a pretty good source of all of them.
Yes! And Horizon Farms boxed milk is great for this . . . no refrigeration needed, but I keep standard milk (for cereal) and a few chocolate milk boxes on ice at all times. They're usually $1 each on sale, via Kroger/Fred Meyer et al.

I don't ice the whole collection at once, as the boxes get a bit soft if they're in there too long.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Coconut water, y'all.

Some brands are pretty nasty, I find that the Costco brand is easy to swallow.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:01 pm

It's happy Hour for us retired folks. I thought this said Electrolysis for Virgins.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sunny D
Camp Name: Pour Decisions Winery

Post by Sunny D » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am

Wow, didn't know this. Thanks for sharing.

I normally bring several different flavors of Nuun and a case of coconut water.
Pour Decisions Winery 3:15+E

Drizzt321

Post by Drizzt321 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 pm

While possibly a touch more expensive, but very portable and handy I just prefer SaltStick Caps. Pretty full balanced electrolytes, intended for heavy work/exercise, especially where you're sweating a lot. And don't kid yourself, you may not feel sweat dripping down your forehead, but you're sweating a LOT. It's just evaporating immediately to keep you from overheating.

I take one once in the morning when I get up as a general prophylactic to ensure I have some in my body, and as needed during setup/teardown or otherwise. Had a friend once who had been drinking water all day (this was mid-afternoon at Center camp), and was just tired and weak. Gave her 2 of these, 15-20 minutes later she was feeling pretty good. Just hadn't kept up with electrolytes.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 pm

I like those salt tablets too, even in defaultia if I don't want to have to drink some electrolyte drink, or they're not available (like at a music venue where there is dancing). They're not too expensive, and you can just pocket a few for when you need them.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Token

Post by Token » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am

BBadger wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 pm
I like those salt tablets too, even in defaultia if I don't want to have to drink some electrolyte drink, or they're not available (like at a music venue where there is dancing). They're not too expensive, and you can just pocket a few for when you need them.
Performance Art Proposal 1

Get a bunch of them salt tabs and head out that must see big sound Rave at the 10:00 or 2:00 side.

Find the biggest mob.

Hand out the salt tabs to your crew while standing on the edge of the big dance crowd.

Have campmate filming discretely from a distance.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:31 am

Token wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am
BBadger wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 pm
Performance Art Proposal 1
Get a bunch of them salt tabs and head out that must see big sound Rave at the 10:00 or 2:00 side.
Find the biggest mob.
Hand out the salt tabs to your crew while standing on the edge of the big dance crowd.
Have campmate filming discretely from a distance.
lol
Panda wouldn't even go in first.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:14 am

That'd be hilarious! Make furtive glances towards some parked art car in the distance with some dudes looking through binoculars with an LED glowing beneath them.

DrLoveMachine

Post by DrLoveMachine » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:19 am

A word of caution concerning electrolyte drinks, which I've also posted elsewhere.

Drinking electrolytes occasionally is great but don't rely on them exclusively, especially the sweetened versions. Here's a piece of advice given to me during some high temperature, long distance, military marches.

Your body is good at giving you hints of what it needs. Salt taste great when your body needs it. But if you mix it with sugar you will easily miss out on the cue that you've had enough, that the salt starts to taste bad. So you can actually get too much salt if you just keep drinking electrolyte drinks over time. So try to eat salt, or salty food, when possible. Bananas dipped in salt is great, gives some much needed potassium and you will know when you've had enough. And of course stay hydrated while you do that.

Return to “Food & Drink”