Water container(s)

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Prime Duchess

Water container(s)

Post by Prime Duchess » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:39 am

I've been on the look out for something large to hold our water for the week. There will be 2 of us, so we figure we'll need about 30 gallons or so.
Anyone have any thoughts on a large barrel or container that will hold about that? Or will we just need lots of smaller containers?
(I am aware of the weight.)
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!

MrMullen

Walmart!

Post by MrMullen » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:08 am

Walmart sells the 5 gallon ones for pretty cheap, so, you would need about 6. Make sure to fill them up when you get to Reno so you don't have to haul about 200 extra pounds
--
Mr Mullen

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:18 am

I usually just get a bunch of the 2.5 gallon water containers (them ones with handles) from a grocery store in Reno on my way up. Works well for me. That way I don't have to mess with finding a place to fill something larger.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:14 pm

Water weighs 8 and a third pounds per gallons, so I'd be careful about big containers -- have a plan on how to actually get the water out. Drop by Twin City Surplus at
http://www.twincitysurplus.com/catalog. ... 89583.9914
where they list both collapsible 5 gallon containers and 55 gallon barrells (which will weigh over 450 lbs when filled).

I highly recommend small, manageable containers rather than huge buckets or barrells.

Phil

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:18 pm

Another advantag to many of the small 2.5 gallon suitcases is that if one get contaminated, it's no big deal. To store the empties, string a bit of rope throught the handles when each one is finished and at the end have a nice collection of utter crap.

But you won't run out of water. You can buy these closer to Gerlach, but they might be more expensive, albeit still less then lugging it.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:35 pm

In my experience the pre-filled 1 or 2.5 gallon containers are usually cheaper, taste better, and are more convenient. Reusable containers often don't get reused many times because they develop tastes or are used as "holy crap, I need something to carry all this gray water back with me" containers, thus they actually contribute more to the trash heap or recycling bin. They also take up space all year when you aren't using them. The only way I can see them being a good buy is if you have a year-round use for them.

Many of the burner-friendly shops in Reno sell the 2.5 gallon containers still in their cardboard boxes, which makes them easy to stack in your vehicle.

If you happen to have a big, clean container around it might come in handy for cheap water for cleaning. I wouldn't count on it for drinking water, though. Having to drink nothing but ass-flavored water for a week sucks. The taste sometimes takes a while to develop so you might not notice when you test it at home.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

yeah

Post by swampdog » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:47 pm

I have 2 big 7 gallon camping water containers. Not pleasant by the end of the week. I think the 2.5 gallon jobbies are probably your best bet.

Of course, now that I've got them I'm going to be determined to use them. I rarely drank straight water, mixed it with a little gatorade powder (about half strength or less) so that covers up the plastic taste.

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:55 am

Another vote for the 2.5 gal briefcases. And bring a funnel- after it's empty, you can wrench that soft plastic cap-and-valve off and use them for coffee grounds and semi-liquid organic trash or graywater storage. (That's one reason to NOT cut the little better-flow-nib-thing above the spigot. just be patient, and the water will flow.)
For higher-volume water I also bring a 5-gal. blue cube, with the nice valve that stays on so you can wash dishes or self more easily. If used just for washing, it'll last all week!
Robotland's Alter Ego

Vego

Post by Vego » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:29 pm

But if you do get your heart set on one or two big containers, I've found this link for re conditioned FDA approved barrels. They had juice or soda in them at one point. I'm thinking a 15 gal barrell set up for a shower. That's like 145 lbs though so it'll be fun watching me get it in place.
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

Vego

Post by Vego » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:29 pm

If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:44 am

Bring a handtruck!
(Or at least make sure there's a lot of handles.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Sharky

water jugs

Post by Sharky » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:41 am

We use a combination of new bought and recycled containers for our water.
I use a number of the clear, 3 gallon type spring water bottles that are made of the hard, non permeable clear plastic for our drinking water and recycled 5 gallon bottles for our wash water.
I get the 5 gallon bottles from our local food co-op. They are a very heavy weight plastic and are left over from bulk tamari and soy sauce shipments. They are the perfect shape, cubed with a carry handle on top and a heavy screw on cap that can also be punched to take a threaded tap. The square shape is perfect for loading in our trailer, and the price is right, FREE! If I need a container to haul gray water off they Playa, I just use one of the 5 gallon recycled ones and then just drop it at the recycle bin when I get done with it.
I have found that 5 gallon containers are about the biggest size that can be easily lifted and moved around. I would hessitate to use anything larger if only for the weight after they are filled with water.
"To travel, to experience and learn - that is to live"

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:45 am

I have heard that blue barrels are available at soft drink companies. Those 55 gal drums that they use to cart soda syrup to restaurants. Also heard that once they use them they can't re-use and that the have to either re-cycle or thrown them away.

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:00 am

Remember- "A pint's a pound, the world around."
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Food & Drink”