Best layout for a camp of 2 people

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
cmrabet
Burning Since: 2018

Best layout for a camp of 2 people

Postby cmrabet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 am

Hi everyone!

What would be the best organization/layout for a camp for two people traveling in a Toyota Sienna 2006 (mini-van)? We want to avoid cooking as much as possible so the plan is to take canned/dried food.

I'm thinking that we could use the mini-van as bedroom, use a tent to put the food, water and all supplies, and put everything under a monkey hut for shade.

Thanks!

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Best layout for a camp of 2 people

Postby lucky420 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 am

I use my monkey hut as my outside kitchen. Keep things in bins to minimize dust.

Bwahahahaha dust will get everywhere regardless, embrace it
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 am

More important than using the van as a bedroom is using the van as a windblock. There is a published map which details the predominant wind direction and sunrise. My advice is, know this generally in advance of arrival. When you get there, park the vehicle to block the wind, then set the tent up in the lee of the van. Then, put up the carport or ezup (or monkey hut) over the tent to provide daytime shade, and drape the one wall (old bedsheets work fine) to block the sunrise and buy yourself another couple hours of relative cool in the morning.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

cmrabet, That is an excellent idea. (It's exactly what I do.) However, I have a carport instead of a monkey hut. I bring an ice chest for beer and fruit cups but no perishables. Check out the threads about food.

Put up your tent and position some lightweight cloth over the vents. Every window and vent has to close when you leave camp to keep out the dust. Pin, glue, sew, clamp or whatever. Get some rebar, a good heavy hammer and big vice grips for removal. Make a cloth or tarp end piece for your hut. If it's a windy year you'll appreciate it.

A twin air mattress fits perfectly in your van. I had the hardware removed from the bed when I bought the van. You can even keep a plastic dresser in there. Keep in mind it's about a million degrees in there when you shut the car tight. I have reflectix taped on the outside of my windows. I can sleep-in for an extra hour or nap with the doors open.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am

One thing I've done is to put the monkey hut adjacent to the side wide door or tucked over the back door of a van. Then try to bridge some fabric to "seal" the monkey hut to the van door. Keep the van door closed as much as possible. Then cover all the van windows with mylar space blankets cut to size and taped around each window edge with 2" wide blue masking tape. (Regular beige masking tape adhesive turns into concrete in the sun, the blue does not - peels right off when you are ready to leave.) The window coverings help keep the vehicle cooler.

Any tarp or rope in contact with the van paint finish will vibrate in the wind and the playa dust which has some grit will wear away the paint. So if you are using the van for a guy line anchor, take that into account.

Some people use their luggage rack as a tie down point. Racks are usually rated for about a hundred or two pounds downforce. They are not rated for side force or up force. The force of wind on a sail goes up as the square of wind speed. The building code max design wind speed is for the area is 130mph. It usually doesn't reach that, but if a gust gets under a tarp the force can be thousands of pounds. That's why some people use shade cloth or Aluminet - it can cut the sail force in half.

Built to proven designs, monkey huts can handle it. It's better if the ends can be closed off. But if you attach anything else to your vehicle, design it well.

It does sometimes rain, so take that into account. Some people put down a floor of some type in their monkey hut.

A camp flag and a sign with your camp name is always nice.

The adventure begins! Have a super burn experience!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

For reference, the map(s) Chowski mentioned are here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78496

Make sure to pack along extra tarps, and maybe a small sheet of aluminet/camo netting to allow yourself to adapt to however your camp actually ends up. Even with the best planning, you might be setting up at night, in a tight spot, or will have sun creeping in at only certain times of the day even with optimal orientation. You can use your tarp and netting to enclose one end of your MH, or wrap around between your van and MH as well.

I also liked having some netting near the entrance in order to provide an extra bit of shaded chill space to sit and eat and set thing down. It's not always nice to have to sit in the shade of the MH entrance. The netting and tarps will also provide a small level of privacy.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 am

If that mini-van is you main wheels in real life, where you drive friends and family, kids and colleagues around ... I’d nix the idea of sleeping in it.

It will forever be full of Playa.

Roll up the windows in Gerlach, unload it at the campsite, lock it for the duration.

Do what the rest of the folks do and sleep in a tent tucked in the hut.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 am

Token wrote:If that mini-van is you main wheels in real life, where you drive friends and family, kids and colleagues around ... I’d nix the idea of sleeping in it.

It will forever be full of Playa.

Roll up the windows in Gerlach, unload it at the campsite, lock it for the duration.

Do what the rest of the folks do and sleep in a tent tucked in the hut.

I second that and also agree that correct placement to block wind & the morning sun is also an important consideration. packing an extra tent in your van for you to live in & keep it locked up.

If however your van is dedicated to the Playa then do what you can to minimize getting dust in it. If you're not shy dress/undress in your supply tent & hang out/sleep naked in the van. I've also seen people use battery leaf blowers to de-dust. Open the van as little as possible and a floor mat (secured) under the door can help. Keep in mind that unless you have a chrome vinyl wrap on your van it will be an oven in the daytime.

Of course this all depends on how close you are to your camp-mate. If close, the best layout is spooning.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I sleep with my back hatch open, (not every night or the battery would be dead). To hell with family and friends. If they don't like dust, don't get in my van. I cover the dash and seats with fleece. The cargo area is covered with carpet. Ok. It still looks dusty all year but I like it. If the wind blows I close the back hatch. The side door has a fleece curtain. Embrace the suck.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:01 am

Why would it kill the battery with the hatch open? Is it from the light? I keep mine set to completely off even if it's open.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:38 am

Yes, kill the interior lights. I have 12 or so inside the Sub., but there is an override switch so they don't go on. I leave them off year-round. Waste of power. Ratty, I have seen your car....playa-ish. Delish.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:06 pm

I know you don't want to cook, but do consider a small butane stove to heat water. A cup of tea or some ramen noodles can be just the thing after a late night, or an early morning.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

So...In 2016 my battery went dead. Of course I didn't know it till I turned the key. Just the 'door open' dash lights being on for 2 weeks is enough to drain a good battery. No. I can't pull a fuse. I can pull the battery cable but that's a whole other problem getting in and out with electronic door locks. This year I closed the doors. No dead battery.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 pm

It should still manually lock and unlock without any battery power.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Ah, that explains it. Yeah, those indicators can drain the battery. I did notice that my ol' Subaru would have a semi-depleted battery after some weeks of disuse because of the alarm light or some other low-but-still-power subsystem.

What about using some cheapo solar panel to keep things topped off? Closing the door is probably cheaper though. :)

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 am

We have one of those dashboard solar panels made specifically to keep the battery topped off when the vehicle is parked. Some years we forget to use it, but we rarely get into the truck.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am

I'll look into that. I love to keep the doors open at night.

Capt. My 2012 Toyota van has exactly ONE keyhole. Drivers door only. Then I could climb in and open doors from the inside. Except the back hatch it only opens from the outside. There would be no way to lock or unlock it without juice. I hate the convenience of new cars.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”