Re-bar or Lag Screws for a Monkee Hut ?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
krly
Burning Since: 2018

Re-bar or Lag Screws for a Monkee Hut ?

Post by krly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm

I've seen some posts on folks using lag screws instead of rebar to slide the pvc arches over. Just wondering what the general consensus is.
If lags are used with, say 1" pvc, what sizes are used ? What length and how much is left above ground ? THANKS !!
Ken in Anaheim

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Re-bar or Lag Screws for a Monkee Hut ?

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

krly, The reason nobody answered this question when you wrote it on the other thread is...What the F-----? You would need lag screws 4 feet long. I suggest you find the posts that led you to this conclusion and ask those people directly.

Then please come back here and share it with us. I want pictures or something's fishy.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Ratty wrote:krly, The reason nobody answered this question when you wrote it on the other thread is...What the F-----? You would need lag screws 4 feet long. I suggest you find the posts that led you to this conclusion and ask those people directly.

Then please come back here and share it with us. I want pictures or something's fishy.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sarge

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm

I've seen some threads about people using lags for monkey huts but I couldn't see how that would work so I figured I misread it. You want at least 1.5 feet below ground for stability and 1.5 feet above ground for the PVC to slide over so even an 18 inch lag wouldn't even be close enough to work. You could use lags for the 2 tiedowns front and back.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 am

For monkey huts, the rebar is structural, not just for a tie down point. Lags are not really in the equation.

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

I used 18 inch lags last year for my first ever monkey hut, 9 inches above and below. They were 3/8 Inch diameter and had some bending from the crazy dust squall on Tuesday afternoon. Am planning on getting half inch lags this year. It's worth noting that my shade on the hut is aluminet 70%, so I'm not having the kind of wind loading I'd get with a solid tarp.

Nobody batted an eyelash on the MH threads when I asked about using lags last year. I'm pretty surprised to see the previous comments on this thread.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks Strata. I've been wondering if anyone that had used lags would tell us about it. I can picture it but...One year the top 6 inches in my camp was like reaching into a bag of flour. If the lags in the tubes failed the whole thing would move and then collapse. On the other hand I'm glad it worked. Structures on the playa are ever changing.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:38 am

Hmm, thanks Ratty. I've never had that kind of playa surface experience, but now I'm wondering if I should get some rebar as a backup.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by claybcook » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:59 pm

You need both Lag screws and stakes/rebar. The rebar/stake is driven straight down into the playa and the PVC is placed over it. The rebar/stake locates the PVC and keeps it from sliding sideways, but doesn't hold the PVC down to the ground. Can you picture this? Rebar/Stakes only give lateral resistance to the structure sliding across the playa. Drive them deep, but leave about a foot above ground so there's plenty for the PVC to bear against. Even so, the PVC can easily slide straight upwards and off the stake/rebar. That's where the lag screws come in.
Lag screws are only about 14 inches long and only 3/8' thick, so not much lateral strength, but the threads of the screws provide extraordinary strength to hold things down to the ground. If you put a couple of links of chain through the bolt before you screw it to the ground, you can lace line or rope or mule tape through those links and through the grommets on your tarp and it won't blow away.

Both are needed. Last year was my first Burn and first Monkey Hut, and it came out great.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:26 pm

claybcook wrote:Lag screws are only about 14 inches long and only 3/8' thick
Lag screws come in lots of sizes. Quite a few of us use 18" long by 1/2" diameter lags for our structures. It's not at all hard to source lag screws all the way up to 24" x 5/8".

Whether any of those larger sizes are better than rebar for this application is a different question, of course.

claybcook
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by claybcook » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:16 am

Wow. Size matters! Are you using those to replace re-bar to locate things, or to hold things down to the playa? My lag screw search topped out at 3/8" X 14", but maybe I wasn't looking for larger. I need about 12 stakes to locate the structure of my Monkey hut and use lag screws to hold the tarps down via mule tape through the grommets. I never thought about using lags in place of the stakes. Hmmmm.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 pm

In my case, to hold things down (a Mongolian-style yurt and a couple of carports). Never tried them for monkey huts myself.

Try fastenersuperstore.com if you're looking for the longer ones.

jfeaz
Burning Since: 2010

Post by jfeaz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any info on the comparative resistance to bending between lag screws and rebar?

I'm not going to make it to the playa this year, but I use my Monkey Hut at Joshua Tree in June when the wind is even worse than the Playa. Last year when I pulled out my 2' rebar, they were all bent beyond repair from the stress of the PVC elasticity and the wind.

I'm thinking about getting some 2' lag screws to slip the PVC over this year. Will they stay straight?

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:38 pm

jfeaz wrote:Does anyone have any info on the comparative resistance to bending between lag screws and rebar?
?
Rebar is made to bend. Stop by Lowes/ Home Depot and pick up a piece of rebar the same diameter as the lag you are buying, hold your hands about a foot apart and try to bend it. Most people can.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:17 pm

It's not really bad that it bends. The fact that the rebar bent despite the PVC bending means it must've just been really windy. The whole structure of a monkeyhut is supposed to be flexible and bendy anyway, and as long as the PVC doesn't come off the rebar you should be fine.

I've even put cut pieces of hose on the ends of the rebar to keep the rebar from damaging the PVC from shock and to make it grip better.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

jfeaz

Post by jfeaz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:43 pm

BBadger wrote:It's not really bad that it bends. The fact that the rebar bent despite the PVC bending means it must've just been really windy. The whole structure of a monkeyhut is supposed to be flexible and bendy anyway, and as long as the PVC doesn't come off the rebar you should be fine.

I've even put cut pieces of hose on the ends of the rebar to keep the rebar from damaging the PVC from shock and to make it grip better.
Will lag screws bend though?

It's find that rebar bends but now I have a bunch of bent rebar I can't pound back into the ground on my next build. Yes, I can take them to someplace with a vise and bend them back, but also I could just as easily get lag screws instead and never have to deal with this again, providing that they won't bend the way rebar does. Does anyone know?

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:57 pm

Maybe? Lag screws are usually drilled flush with the ground, and they're often shorter than the rebar used for monkey huts. They very well might still bend depending on the length and forces. Maybe if you got some 1/2"-diameter lag screws they won't bend much.

My rebar never bent, except when I was candycaning them after heating them with a torch, but I was using 5/8" rebar which is substantially thicker than a lot of the rebar people like to use.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Your lags may get bent a little, but they won't bend like rebar.

Easy to straighten with a hammer and can still be screwed in and out.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

jfeaz

Post by jfeaz » Wed May 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks everyone! I just found out that the 2' lag screws I was about to order on fastenersuperstore.com have heads too big to fit inside my PVC anyway, so guess I'll just stick with rebar.

BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Post by BaudEByter » Sun May 06, 2018 1:32 pm

jfeaz wrote:Thanks everyone! I just found out that the 2' lag screws I was about to order on fastenersuperstore.com have heads too big to fit inside my PVC anyway, so guess I'll just stick with rebar.
What size PVC are you using? I’m doing a 15’x30’ and using aluminet. 1/2” 24” lags are the plan. 1/2 lags are .866 corner to corner at the head. That Should fit in 1” pvc ...no? ID of 1” sch40 pvc is 1.049
Last edited by BaudEByter on Sun May 06, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Post by BaudEByter » Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 am

I see a lot of talk about using 24" 1/2 lag bolts for a monkeyhut but has anyone actually done this yet?

Jordanryan
Camp Name: Friends United (FU)

Post by Jordanryan » Fri May 18, 2018 12:35 pm

I used about 50 1/2 24" lags for my zook last year and worked fine (probably spent $150 on lags). I dropped them 50-75% in and didn't put any tape on the exposed screw or head. I could not imagine having to drive in all that rebar. Check out my build

Spacepolo
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Spacepolo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:22 pm

hello,
is it possible to screw a 12'' lag screw to the playa ground without an electric drill ?

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:55 am

Spacepolo wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:22 pm
hello,
is it possible to screw a 12'' lag screw to the playa ground without an electric drill ?
Possible but not a lot of fun. google speedwrench.

BTW, welcome and stop over at the Greeters Station and say hello and tell us a little about yourself, what you like to do and why you are going to Burning Man.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”