Bungee ball alternative?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
aireq
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: The Beach

Bungee ball alternative?

Post by aireq » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Has anyone found a better alternative to bungee balls to attach tarps to an EMT conduit shade? They inevitably turn into projectiles, pinch fingers, and take a lot of time to install and take down.

I was thinking instead to lace the tarps to the EMT frame with cord or cable. Then use turnbuckles or possible a ratchet mechanism to tighten.
2019-02-01_191532.png
Has anyone done something like this before with success?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Re: Bungee ball alternative?

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:40 pm

First I did what you are proposing with cord.... Very time consuming. Then I did zip ties.... Very wasteful. Now I use bungee balls and it's fast and reusable and people fling them at each other for fun.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 pm

I've laced different things to my shade through the years. What a pain. the secret to bungies is to have the right length. Then it's a breeze.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:58 am

That running rigging works well, and does a good job of distributing the loads, but does take extra time because you have to feed the cord through many eyelets. Maybe it won't be so bad if you use multiple shorter spans. You could also use karabiners or some such to just clip-attach the cord to the eyelets instead of fishing through, but that adds cost, and the clips may not be very strong (at a decent price anyway).

Also taking it down isn't too bad because you just pull them out instead of having to go to each and every one of those bungees and disconnecting them and then gathering them up later, bundling them etc.

I tend to like how the tarps, etc. spread out with running rigging too.

A benefit of bungees is also that you can have many people setting up simultaneously. You can do that with running rigging too, but it's not quite as parallel.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 am

Also taking it down isn't too bad because you just pull them out instead of having to go to each and every one of those bungees and disconnecting them and then gathering them up later, bundling them etc.
badger, I just made a bunch of work aprons just for that job. Two giant gaping pockets to hold bungies and gloves etc....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:38 am

aireq wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm
They inevitably turn into projectiles, pinch fingers, and take a lot of time to install and take down.
Projectile danger is scary when an eye or tooth could be the landing zone of that very hard 60mph ball.

Thread the bungee thru the grommet until the ball is snug against the grommet. Then loop the elastic cord around the conduit to meet the ball. That's the safest method. Teach that to anyone helping out.

Take down time? Just toss 'em all on the ground and collect all in one minute.

When home, put them all in the washing machine. Enjoy the music.

BTW, I think anyone who has threaded line thru grommets on 10x20 tarp will never do it again.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 am

DriKnow, I agree on how to do the bungies and that I'll never want to thread anything through the grommets again. When you first get your tarp the grommets are spaced so far apart. I like to add more so my tarp fits tightly on the frame. Twice as many holes to thread.

(Back off jokers. That one is too easy.)

Arthur Schopenhauer

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:42 am

Ratty wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 pm
I've laced different things to my shade through the years. What a pain. the secret to bungies is to have the right length. Then it's a breeze.
The other secret to bugee balls is that they all get oriented the same... I thread the elastic up through the tarp to start, that way you can always see what's going on with them or if they've come loose. When it comes time to take them down it's a breeze because they're all facing down where you can see them, and all you have to do is hook the elastic and pull down, the ball comes unwound and that's it. I can get to more than half of them without a ladder, or you can fashion a hook tool to get more reach and further from the action.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Post by Lightspeed » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:49 am

Ratty wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 am
badger, I just made a bunch of work aprons just for that job. Two giant gaping pockets to hold bungies and gloves etc....
Ratty these are great!
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

aireq
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: The Beach

Post by aireq » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:26 pm

I just found this great guide from Suspended Animation on using Running Rigging.

https://www.suspendedanimationcrew.com/ ... CampUp.pdf

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:59 pm

aireq wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:26 pm
I just found this great guide from Suspended Animation on using Running Rigging.

https://www.suspendedanimationcrew.com/ ... CampUp.pdf
It's not as easy as it looks, especially if you want all four sides "gaps" to be the same width.

Here's maybe the most important tip from the article:

"Don’t learn this on the playa."

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”