PVC based shade structure over 10X14 Kodiak tent advice

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
skyy
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Re: PVC based shade structure over 10X14 Kodiak tent advice

Post by skyy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:15 am

Not sure when I'll be setting it up next but for reference. I used 1/2" pvc. I superglued/E600'd the connector pieces on selected portions of the frame to secure one side, then drilled through the other connected side such that you can put a bolt through the top and a nut on bottom to keep them in place.

Example photo below, this is one of the long sided pieces (ie the 14 ft side of the kodiak), for portability sake I cut the length in two, glued the connector to one side then drilled through the other. I did this on all connections that were not superglued so the end result would use 10 bolts and 10 nuts total. (2 on each corner 3-way connection, and 2 on the long sided lengths)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Atlas
Mighty Misfits

hooker

Post by hooker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am

So it's been forever since this thread started, but I thought I'd update folks on the attic foil. I used attic foil to make a 24x25 tarp for my monkey hut. It was amazing the first year, but each year more of the reflective coating wore off. Then on the third or forth year the tape gave out and I had to toss it out. I loved it at first, but it was a royal pain to make. I wouldn't do it again. I think I'll go for aluminet. If someone actually made an attic foil tarp, I'd buy that, but I doubt that will be an option. So the search for the ideal monkey hut cover continues. I hope I'll see lots of them this summer in the dust. Go get your vaccine!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:54 pm

The ShiftP*d kids spent a lot of energy sourcing their fabric from Asia. Still it has problems delaminating if stored wet. There are companies making an aluminized fabric that is laminated to a poly tarp, as "emergency blanket" which camping stores have. Silver on one side and brown or green poly tarps are common. UV is very tough on plastics as is the constant flapping on laminates. Another angle is to look at reflective or metallic fabrics at a specialty supplier like Rosebr*nd in LA.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 am

You might be able to spray some UV protectant on the surface to try and reduce the impact of the UV radiation on the material, though it might also cause dust to stick to the surface.

Another thing would be to use a silver tarp on top and then a reflective under-layer to prevent heat from radiating downwards, while also protecting the attic foil from direct sun. The silver tarp alone seemed to work well as long as proper airflow was maintained at the ends.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:15 pm

The aluminet was also covered in dust over the week, and likely lost some of it's reflective awesomeness. Tapping it to remove dust is not advised. Haha.

That being said, the 2018 burn was broiling hot and the shade structure was a godsend, also held up with the mid-week windstorm. Aside from living in a camper (certainly an option, but not my cup of tea)...it appears that shade cloth is A-OK in my book.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”