Camping with a Vehicle

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
stderr
Burning Since: 2022

Camping with a Vehicle

Post by stderr » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:19 pm

Do I need anything more than the vehicle pass to camp with my vehicle?

I'm not part of a theme camp, and have a jeep with small cargo trailer (6x10'). I planned on sleeping in the cargo trailer, but looking at the site map, I notice the "walk in camping area" and am having a spasm of doubt. I see the area is listed as for those who won't camp with their vehicles. I can unhook the trailer if needed, but I thought I could keep them together and move gear from the trailer to the vehicle once parked and have a little room for a cot, plus access to the gear in the jeep. I will bring a tent just in case this is not on.

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find an answer searching the site. If there's an explanation somewhere, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance :)

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Camping with a Vehicle

Post by Elorrum » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:03 pm

There are areas which are not assigned to theme camps, called open camping. You get a map at gate, and these are big areas for people and vehicles, rvs trailers etc. walk in is a specific area at the outer edge of city where you can park and then carry your camp stuff into the area.
Do not worry.
”On second thought, Let’s not go to Camelot. It’s a silly place.”
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches. - Robert Frost

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:01 pm

I see people confuse the terms "walk-in camping" and "open camping" often. Happens a lot. It all becomes more clear once you get there and understand the lay of the land. As Elorrum said, open camping is what you are looking for. That area is depicted as vaguely white on the outer rings (streets) on the map, and is any area that Placement has not bounded with little blue flags on site. Walk-in camping is the odd-shaped area off to the right (outside the rings, from 2:00 to 5:00)

Your trailer camping plan sounds good. If it were me, I'd keep the Jeep shut for the duration once you get squared away, and keep all your gear in and alongside the trailer once it starts getting dusty. (I'm assuming your Jeep is enclosed, otherwise ignore all of this) At the end of the event, everything dusty goes in the trailer. A fresh change of clean clothes after you're packed up, and you only have to clean out the trailer and not the Jeep interior when you get home. That's one of the big bonuses that your trailer plan has going for it!

Have fun!

stderr

Post by stderr » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:03 am

Thank you both! And Burner von Braun (love the name, btw :D) that was pretty close to exactly my plan. The jeep is actually an fj cruiser, so yes fully enclosed, and I'll want to keep it clean inside, so excellent advice.

Now, should I start another thread about what to do with grey water? I don't plan on generating black water, but I could see a little grey water emerging from cleaning pots, pans, coffee makers, hair, etc. I gather just depositing it on the playa is a total no-no, so thought I'd use a 10l/2.5gal jug for temporary storage, and take it, somewhere (???) to deposit. If I need to keep it all, I'm gonna need a bigger jug, or to just be dirty(er).

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:10 am

Hello,
Have you looked at the aerial and satellite views past years of the walk-in camping area? Doubt a trailer can get in there.

There are many threads on ePlaya and the internet on gre/ay water evapotrons. Some people funnel their grey water into their empty water containers. It would be easy for a solo camp.

Some people would empty water in RV drains, or at home.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:21 am

We generate no grey water. Spray bottle kitchen with paper towels. 'shower' with mister and spray bottles on a towel in a bin, hang towel to dry. Yes, the towel gets gross, but one deals with that at home.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:49 am

There are many successful approaches to managing grey water. Evaporation is a commitment and can be a muddy gross trash issue if not done well. I use a big funnel with a container and bring a baggie of either aquarium filter floss, or teddy bear guts, to use a little as a disposable filter medium that dries and I toss it in the trash. I put a little bleach in an empty 5 gallon container and come home generally with it not much more than half full. I wash my hair over a basin a couple times during the week, with about a liter soda bottle of water, more as a refreshing treat, since being clean can be such a transitory thing. I try not to use a lot of water for dishes. I use a pump garden sprayer to rinse them over the funnel. I can manage wet washcloth bathing, and disposable adult washcloths wipe down before bed. The damp towel containment works well for a lot of people.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:48 pm

stderr wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:03 am
… cleaning pots, pans, coffee makers, hair, etc.
Let me break that down for you.

Pots : should only be used to boil potable water. Whatever you are boiling can have their own container in the boiling water, like a ziplock bag, can of chilly etc.

Pans : Should be cast iron and used for meals that clean up with a simple wipe-down of cooking surfaces.

DO NOT MAKE MAC AND CHEEZE IN YOUR POTS AND PANS EVER! - yes, someone hurt me doing this … I’m forever scarred.

My strategy has always been grill + paper plates with no plastic coating. It burns real nice.

Also consider this: the dash of your Jeep thing = solar oven. It is super cool when you can pop a few frozen burritos from your favorite taco joint on the dash and have a meal waiting by noon.

And bathing : what the fine lady before me said.

stderr

Post by stderr » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm

Thanks to all of you for the tips and advice! My first burn came off without a hitch; it was more than I hoped for! The people really made it for me; everyone was so accepting, helpful, and absolutely without judgment.

I received a message from another burner asking how it worked out with the cargo trailer, and after responding thought I should share:

My plan was to stay in the trailer and keep out of the vehicle. I stuck pretty closely to this, but the dust is diabolical. Wind pushed it into everything, even with the trailer, including roof-vent, sealed tight. The playa is amazing, and seems able to travel through solid materials. When I got into the fj at the end, even though I'd mostly stayed out of it, a thick blanket of playa covered all. To be fair, it wasn't as thick as in the trailer, but it was still thick enough to make those black seats look silvery-white.

I stayed in the cargo trailer, using a cot with sleeping bag; very comfortable! Sleeping in the trailer when the sun is up is not possible, so I spent my days outside roaming the playa, checking out the art projects, the various instructional classes, and any other events that looked fun in the guide.

I noticed a lot of people put blue construction/masking tape around their windows; this might have helped keep the dust out. The thing is though, it's just dust, and it can be vacuumed/washed off. It's unavoidable, and I wouldn't put more effort into keeping it out than it will take to just wash it off. In the end, it was just part of the experience.

Things I'm glad I brought:

1. Bike. Something with a coaster brake (pedal backwards to stop, no cable-operated brakes), and only one gear (no derailleurs/shifters). The playa is hard on mechanical things; keep it simple. Also, a lock is important; nothing too serious, just enough to keep opportunists from borrowing your ride.

2. Lights for the bike. Colourful lighting! Be seen. Light the frame and wheels. A blinky light for the back and at least a minimal headlight help too. I was pleased with what I brought, though it was a challenge to keep it working. Also, be a little creative, as it's hard to find your bike in the dark when there are hundreds of them.

3. Folding table & couple of chairs. Expect company!

4. Cooler. One made for desert temperatures will reduce the ice-budget. Based on the advice of another burner, I grabbed a Lifetime 55qt; worth every penny.

5. Grey-water evaporation bin: a dark coloured bin -a cat litter box works- can be used to hold grey water. The sun heats up the box, and the water evaporates; this worked very well. I ended up with almost no grey water to pack out.

6. Water: I budgeted more than needed, coming in at about 25gal for 8 days. This is roughly double what I needed, but I'm not complaining. I needed less because other camps graciously filled my mug with beer, margaritas, gin & tonic, water, coffee, etc.

7. Extra food to share. Some people aren't ready for this; being able to invite the starving neighbours over to shovel a few pepperoni sticks, toast, & water into them makes everyone happy.

Things I wish I brought:

1. Shade structure for over the trailer. This may have made day-sleeping a possibility. I'd try a pop-up awning, but be fully prepared to steak it to the ground with rebar or something very strong to keep it from trying to escape in a high wind.

2. Wind break structure for around the butane stove; heating stuff up in a high wind is very challenging.

3. Lights for your body: It's dark at night, and you'll get run over if you're invisible. Also, be creative; don't just bring a headlamp. I had a headlamp & a couple of ankle lights, but it wasn't enough. One-of-a-kind lighting means your new friends can figure out it's you in the dark.

Thanks again everyone! I thought this would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing... rethinking that.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:51 pm

I’m glad you had such a good time. You sound very responsible, Omni capable, and city minded. I think the year between burn one and burn two is one of the most fertile planning times for burners.

Before you start wondering how to bring less stuff. :lol:

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:49 pm

Great to hear things went well stderr! I kind of figured it would in your case because you appeared to have put in the effort ahead of time. Then again, ya never know what the playa might throw at even the best laid plans sometimes.

And thanks for checking back in here. Not everyone does, and I sometimes wonder how things worked out for them. It also adds to the knowledge base when people share their experiences.

I hope your "rethinking" takes hold, and you return to the playa again next year. Meanwhile, you're always welcome to hang out here.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:52 am

BRAVO!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:04 am

Thanks for the report on your experience! You prepared well, survived, and hope you make it year 2!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”