condition of lag screws after removing them from PLaya??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
abigbear
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: The Empress

condition of lag screws after removing them from PLaya??

Post by abigbear » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi all,
strange question maybe but I've read that people keep buying Lag Screws each year for BM and I'm wondering if that means that the lag bolts get damaged or rust ?? and can't be used again the next year. Seems like an expensive proposition if that's the case. I'm actually considering returning them to the hardware store after BM if they still look good.
Let me know your experience.
Thanks

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: condition of lag screws after removing them from PLaya??

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Don't be 'that' guy. No. You will not be returning these after you use them. You can reuse them indefinately if you wash and oil them after the burn.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Used mine for 6 years on the playa.

Did nothing but knock the playa off when I took em outta the ground.

Just a little surface rust and they're still fine.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:44 pm

If you don't feel like washing them, just stick em in the same bucket of oily sand that you keep your shovels stuck in.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 am

abigbear wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:14 pm
Hi all,
strange question maybe but I've read that people keep buying Lag Screws each year for BM and I'm wondering if that means that the lag bolts get damaged or rust ?? and can't be used again the next year. Seems like an expensive proposition if that's the case. I'm actually considering returning them to the hardware store after BM if they still look good.
Thanks
People buy lag screws each year because camps expand, new structures and new camp members. You can reuse lags for years
As a side note, I'm really surprised that someone who camps with Empress would use something and then try to return it. That's pretty close to theft.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:04 am

Popeye wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 am
abigbear wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:14 pm
Hi all,
Thanks
People buy lag screws each year because camps expand, new structures and new camp members. You can reuse lags for years
As a side note, I'm really surprised that someone who camps with Empress would use something and then try to return it. That's pretty close to theft.
Yeah, fraudy as hell
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 am

If you get hot galvanized, they will last forever.

A little later in the year, the BMORG will publish a comprehensive list of recycling and waste disposal locations, by material, like recycling steel.

Or your camp could organize on exodus a lag screw drop and pick up depot for reuse.

You do a lot of damage to the reputation of all burners by trying to return used items as new to local businesses.

Just as we are critical in our view of the concierge campers paying tens of thousands each to participate in the event, the average big box store pay is 1-2x minimum wage, some of their health plans are bronze and seasonal employees have no health care. So how do you think they are viewing you?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:39 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 am
Or your camp could organize on exodus a lag screw drop and pick up depot for reuse.
CoLagxodus?
You do a lot of damage to the reputation of all burners by trying to return used items as new to local businesses.
Yeah, unfortunate. Hopefully the OP (and many others) read this and does a little reflecting.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:46 pm

We've been using the same lags for years and years. We do not do anything to them at all, just throw them in the bucket and stash them in our container. Pull em out next year and use em again. They have a little corrosion on the surface but it doesn't affect them in any way.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Kenshiro
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Kenshiro » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Returning them pretending they’re new? Besides the dishonesty going on with that suggestion, there’s the matter of the paltry amount of money they cost in the grand scheme, especially considering the time and gas wasted to bother doing that. Do the math...it’s wasting more time than it’s worth just to go out of your way to be a dishonest hack about it. Everyone else here is being nice and most are probably much more veteran Burners than I am, so maybe I’m getting a little heavy-handed here, but as far as the values of Burning Man, maybe you should re-evaluate how appropriate it is for you to even go?

Try to live the values while you’re there. There’s a reason for them and I think you’re missing out if you aren’t really thinking about them. If you anticipate only going one year, (which seems unlikely if you’re bothering to research this far,) you could also consider exercising another Burning Man value...that of gift-giving. I’m sure there are plenty of future Burners who might appreciate being able to acquire some highly useful resources from previous Burners on the cheap.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:09 am

OK, it's time for a camp or village to start a "Leave Us Your Lags" thread!!!

They will know what to do with any spare lags they can get their hands on.

I would do it, but I won't be there. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 am

At a regional, I used rebar, and my friend helping to pack them up, after brushing off surface dirt etc, sprayed them down with WD40. She seemed certain of this. Anyone know +/- ?
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Well, of all the things WD40 is used for, spraying onto bare metal to displace water and leave a protective residue is probably the closest to the intended purpose.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”