Carports for RVs?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
josephgrand
Burning Since: 2019

Carports for RVs?

Post by josephgrand » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Hey everyone - had a question about this within my group and I am not sure how to answer.

Has anyone had to provide shade to an RV? Or did the RV hold its own (maybe with/without the need of generator powered RC). I am trying to see if we need to get a carport over our RV, but due to its dimensions (especially height, which is at 11 ft), the carport needed would be much more expensive, or would be without walls (only canopy).

Thanks in advance for your insight.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Carports for RVs?

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm

A very small number of advanced burners shade their RVs. If you look at the aerial view 2017 is the last published - http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans?tags=bu ... ingman2017 - you will see it's rare.

If you were to build such a thing, you would have to make it withstand strong winds.

The first thing to do to keep an RV cooler is to cover all the windows on the outside with aluminized space blankets, aluminum foil, or aluminized bubble wrap. Cut those to exact size and tape all the way around the edge with wide blue painter's masking tape.

An inexpensive Costco carport or monkey hut can make a nice front porch sitting area adjacent to the RV, maybe by the door.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:09 pm

I have a 10x20 Costco carport that I use as a "porch" for my RV (eliminating the worry over the rv's awning getting shredded by the wind.) The challenge, though, was adding speed rail legs to raise the height of the carport so that it would fit over the RV's house door. I measured twice, cut once, drilled holes in the "new" legs, brought it to the playa and it worked great.

In addition, using the carport as an anchor, I was able to create a 1/2" PVC lattice network (like something you'd see in a garden) and tinker-toy it over the top of the RV and down the other side. There, I secured it to the ground and then zip-tie'd aluminet over the lattice, creating shade which isn't in direct contact with the RV itself. This is all made 1000% easier if your RV has a walkable roof (mine does.)

Just cut-out holes for any solar panels (duh) and you're made in the shade!
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:36 pm

RVs have AC in the roof because they get very hot when in the sun all day.

Use the AC.

RVs have generators for dry camping so you can run the AC.

Use the AC.

Hauling and building a shelter for your RV, which could damage the RV in the not uncommon 50 - 70 Mph winds on the Playa, then disassembling the now dirty shelter and stuffing it into the RV, vs a few cans of extra fuel to run the generator and AC.

Use the AC.

What’s the point of having the RV otherwise.

BTW

Even if you build the shelter, it doesn’t do no damage to your RV, and everything goes super wonderful ...

... it can still be hot enough that you end up running the generator and the AC 10 hours per day.

So, bring the extra fuel anyway.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:32 am

…...and if you're running it 10 hours a day, you're spending too much time in camp!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:48 am

Token is exactly right.
One year I decided to shelter mine and it was just like that. Massive effort, extra expense and waste of a lot of time that could have been better spent drunk and naked.
If you want it cool inside you’re gonna run the AC anyway.
I never bothered with that again!
And what’s the point? So you can open the windows and let the dirt and dust blow in and trash your interior?
Running it 10 hours a day doesn’t mean you’re inside too much.
It means you want to keep it from heating up so when you do go inside it’s cold, and/or you’re sleeping during the hottest part of the day. And that’s a plan I fully endorse too!
Screw all that dealing with the heat shit. It’s cool at night and everything looks way better too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm

What he said....

I've been to BM a bunch. I built a shade cover for my Travel Trailer once.

Once!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 pm

What he said....

I've been to BM a bunch. I built a shade cover for my Travel Trailer once.

Once!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:33 am

And that was worth saying Twice!

Twice!

Bring the fuel, run the generator.

Shade is where you put the chairs to lounge.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

I have a 20x30 aluminet that I roll out over the RV and shade structure.

I'm at a daytime service camp that opens at 9am, so it doesn't help me to sleep in late. I gotta be up early anyways.

And I usually catch some ZZZ's around 4pm and that's a decision to sleep hot or not - there is no middle ground. Aluminet isn't going to help either way.

So actually, the aluminet doesn't do very much for me and I kinda feel stupid right now.

Don't be like me.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”